52 Series Discussion (spoilers!)

Hints for next week's 52 over at Newsarama from the book's Editor...

1-Dear Internet: I know Nightwing was at the memorial. You were SUPPOSED to notice.

2-Last week I recommended Booster Gold back issues. This week: It's The Question by O'Neal and Cowan.

3-Joker cleaned up his trash.

4-You'll believe a man can cry.

hrm

The first is the most interesting... and it's making me give credence to the idea that Jason Todd will be masquerading as Dick for the next year... Possibly even to the point of reforming the Outsiders.

I freakin love the Question. That rocked.

This is great. Is the Red Inferno a new character or an old one? Cause I'm interested in that.

I need more Black Adam & Question..

B+

thee great one said:
This is great. Is the Red Inferno a new character or an old one? Cause I'm interested in that.

new, i believe.

I've enjoyed these two issues greatly. About the only thing that struck me as off is the Hope.Ressurection bit, but I'm just going ot attribute that to a crazy *** plan by Morrison.

As to everyone saying that The Question and Black Adam rock. Well of course they do, they're two of the most badass characters ever ported into the DC universe. I can't wait tos ee what Vic does with Rene.

The hope symbol has been canon for a few years now, as far as I know the resurrection bit is new.

Anyone care to explain what was going on with Cassie towards the end?

Ralph insinuates that she's been studying Kryptonian stuff to possibly ressurect Superboy using Kryptonian science...

She was in love with Superboy before he died in the Crisis...

Now Tim Drake and Bart Allen, her closest friends, have left her in her grief... So she's gotten desperate.

It also seems like she has joined a cult that seems to lead towards the creation of Kandor (as shown in Supergirl)

Dr.Strangefate said:
Ralph insinuates that she's been studying Kryptonian stuff to possibly ressurect Superboy using Kryptonian science...

She was in love with Superboy before he died in the Crisis...

Now Tim Drake and Bart Allen, her closest friends, have left her in her grief... So she's gotten desperate.

It also seems like she has joined a cult that seems to lead towards the creation of Kandor (as shown in Supergirl)

I knew the parts involving Crisis & Titans, but I thought he was implying she left the message on Sue's gravestone? And is Kandor not already in existence(Godfall)?

Im not sure how Godfall dealt with Kandor, but I know any stories involving the new Zod are no longer in continuity, since they are going back to the original style for him...

Can someone debrief me on the new Kandor?

And yes, it would seem that she spraypainted the Ressurection Crest on Sue's grave... but it could very well be someone who wanted Ralph to be led to Cassie, thus getting Cassie involved...

We need to think for a second about all the people who might want a person revived... My my my, what a question...

Booster Gold - Blue Beetle
Ralph Dibny - Sue
Renee Montoya - Crispus Allen (I still bet that there's a Spectre/Renee moment somewhere in 52)
Black Adam - His wife and children (long-dead, but still mourned)

The only questions from the main cast would be Steel (although a later cover hints at the possible death of his daughter), and... well... The Question.

5749_400x600.jpg

So What are these kids up to?

Green Lantern (if that's Kyle) would want Jade back. Green Arrow would want either Mia or Conner back (if one of them died after the pre-OYL issues ended... which would mean that this might be partially successful). Zauriel confuses me (maybe the human he gave up his immortality for died)... and I don't even know who that guy in the middle of Zauriel and Kyle is to begin with...

Last edited:
In Godfall...

Kandor was the civilation in the bottle in Superman's fortess. Superman basicly forgot about it and time moved different and hundreds of years past. The new Kandor is high-tech advanced society that looks down on aliens as lesser beings.

The Superman is considered thee god and a myth by some. Superman went back and helped them work though some problems. Supergirl seems to be continuting the same elements but different.

and that is a badass cover.

hrm...

I'll have to check that out, but for now, this is something that we should have done a while ago...

52 Cover Gallery

WEEK ONE - The Core Cast of 52

WEEK TWO - Booster Gold bathing in the glory

WEEK THREE - Lex Luthor, Supervillain/Lex Luthor, Businessman

WEEK FOUR - Renee Montoya and some gorey punctuation

WEEK FIVE - COVER NOT RELEASED

WEEK SIX - Hal Jordan and the Magnificent Ten (China's new Superteam)

WEEK SEVEN - Booster Black and White

WEEK EIGHT - John Henry Irons, STEEL

WEEK NINE - Starfire, Animal Man, and Adam Strange IN SPACE

WEEK TEN - Supernova saves Clark Kent

WEEK ELEVEN - NO COVER RELEASED

WEEK TWELVE - Black Adam and Wife?

WEEK THIRTEEN - Shady figures under the Crest of Ressurection

WEEK FOURTEEN - Steel

WEEK FIFTEEN - Booster's Bloody visor

WEEK SIXTEEN - Renee and the Question in Khandaq

WEEK SEVENTEEN- Lobo. 'Nuff Said.

Thanks DSF, I've been saving the covers to a folder, but hadn't though of posting them all. Good job.

Anyone noticed Supernova on the Booster Gold visor cover? And the guy in between Kyle and Zauriel looks like Steel from #14's cover.

Anyway, the covers for this series rock. Some of the best covers I've ever seen.

So, I read the first three. To start off with...

Yes, the Question is the greatest character in the DC Universe, hands down. Someone mentioned who he might want to see revived? I don't think anyone. He strikes me as the one guy prudent enough to recognize the danger in it and not be tempted. Also, last I remember, the Question was just a normal dude. Anyone know how he can get shot point blank by Renee Montoya and still be fine?

Booster Gold may be my favorite C-lister now. He's just the kind of guy you love to dislike. Same guy who mentioned the Question reviving someone also mentioned him wanting Blue Beetle back. If anyone's flipped through the new series, you'll know the Beetle went into some sort of fugue and reappeared One Year Later. You think that could have something to do with this?

Luthor's manipulation in issue 3 is just wicked. The idea of him working with Joker sends chills down my spine. It's a shame we already know from the new Superman arc what happens to Lex.

Finally, Black Adam is still the greatest. The conversation with Supergirl is killer. And I think him blaming the heroes for the Crisis gives him a killer new edge.

Has anyone checked out the 52 website? That seems like as massive an undertaking as the comic itself. Daily updates, real professional.

In addition to the covers (Thanks Strangefate), here's the official teasers for each issue.

WEEK 6, with art by Joe Bennett and Ruy Jose, features the debut of some major players, as Green Lantern discovers the world's newest sensations: China's own super-hero team! (The Chinese's presence shows up in the OMAC Crisis Special and in the first issue of Checkmate.
In the Special, China sends a single secret agent to retrieve Brother Eye, and end up in a melee with Special Ops from Israel and Russia, and Checkmate from the USA. In the first issue of Checkmate it's revealed that they may be providing toxic weapons to the religious terrorist group Kobra. They veto the decision that would allow Checkmate to stay in existence.

Booster Gold sells out in WEEK 7, illustrated by Ken Lashley and KWL Designs! But he's sure to see the same people on the way down that he met on the way up!

WEEK 8, with art by Eddy Barrows and Rob Stull, puts the spotlight on John Henry Irons...Man of Steel! With Superman gone, can he stop the never-ending schemes of Lex Luthor?

In WEEK 9, with Art by Shawn Moll and Tom Nguyen, learn who dies before Devilance. Plus, witness the debut of the new JLA!

WEEK 10 illustrated by Chris Batista (LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES) and Jimmy Palmiotti, features the debut of Supernova, the new guardian of Metropolis!

WEEK 11, featuring Art by Joe Bennett and Jack Jadson and Todd Nauck and Marlo Alquiza, sheds light on the mysterious woman protecting Gotham City...wearing a very familiar uniform!

Black Adam finds love in the arms of mythology in WEEK 12, with Art by Eddy Barrows and Rob Stull. Isis is here! Plus the debut of the new SECRET ORIGINS backup featuring the origin of Wonder Woman by Mark Waid and Adam Hughes!

In WEEK 13, featuring art by Todd Nauck and Marlo Alquiza, it's the resurrection of Sue Dibny! But are the Elongated Man's ex-teammates here to help, or hurt? Plus, the origin of Elongated Man by Mark Waid and Kevin Nowlan!

In WEEK 14, with art by Dale Eaglesham and Art Thibert, Steel faces a turning point, and Montoya and the Question go international! Plus, the origin of Steel by Waid and Jon Bogdanove!

It's the death you never expected in WEEK 15, featuring art by Shawn Moll and Tom Nguyen! Plus, the origin of Metamorpho by Waid and Eric Powell (The Goon)!

Celebrate the nuptials of Black Adam and Isis in WEEK 16, illustrated by Joe Bennett and Ruy Jose! Plus, the origin of Black Adam by Waid and J.G. Jones!

WEEK 17 features art by Chris Batista, Jack Jadson and Ruy Jose, and can be described in one word: Lobo! Plus, the origin of Lobo by Waid and Giffen!

Last edited:
I got the first three weeks and I can safely say that yes, this does completely and totally pwn.

And Week 2 had some hot lesbian action.

I don't know about you, but that by itself would've made me get the issue.

They should have just made this the cover:
52.jpg

This series has now become totally engaging. There is no one more badass than Black Adam.

I mean just look how he hovers...

Blackadambw.png

Latest posts

Back