616 Spidey vs Ultimate Spidey

Doc Comic said:
macchio6jc.jpg

Indeed, that is him, Daniel San. And now that you bring his image up, it's funny cos, recently, in a TV mag some guy wondered what ever happened to Macchio after "My Cousin Vinnie"!!

Anyway...back to Spider-Man!!!
As for you guys who say USM sucks: it definitely has been one of the bad titles of the Ultimate Universe as of late. Besides the butchering of some of Spidey's classic enemies (the Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Carnage) and supporting cast (Harry) the title also seems to ebb and flow between really good and horribly bad stories.
Like we had Carnage which was a good story with a really weak villain, then we got that stupid *** Wolverine/Spidey "team up", then the cool Johnny Storm story, then the off-and-on Dr. Strange story and then Warriors (which has been good, if completely pointless). Everything is starting to feel like a space filler for #100!!!

Nas-T!
"..."

Nas-T! said:
Anyway...back to Spider-Man!!!
As for you guys who say USM sucks: it definitely has been one of the bad titles of the Ultimate Universe as of late. Besides the butchering of some of Spidey's classic enemies (the Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Carnage) and supporting cast (Harry) the title also seems to ebb and flow between really good and horribly bad stories.
Like we had Carnage which was a good story with a really weak villain, then we got that stupid *** Wolverine/Spidey "team up", then the cool Johnny Storm story, then the off-and-on Dr. Strange story and then Warriors (which has been good, if completely pointless). Everything is starting to feel like a space filler for #100!!!

Nas-T!
"..."

As far as butchering classic villains goes... symbiotes were dumb cancer suits were a tad bit... tiny bit... more realistic. The Goblins suck but Norman is one of the more intriguing characters in the UU.

I didn't like the all-stars (with the exception of strange but that needed closure) arc or hobgoblin but I don't think USM has gone downhill.

XFactor said:
Thanks, Great One...I hope that wasn't just said out of sympathy for the new kid. :wink:

N0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000B!!!!!

Welcome. :D

XFactor said:
Hey folks, I'm a newbie so try not to be TOO hard on me...I'd apreciate it. :?

I'm young, so I haven't been around for most of the 616. In fact, I have little knowledge of it besides the X-Books. I like to think I'm a devoted U.U. reader...I've picked up every TPB they have so far...But it sorta' seems to me that everyone gets a lil' lost in the whole "This sucks, that sucks, Geldoff ruined this, the Clones ruined that, Venom is terrible altogether"...

I read comics because I LIKE to. I can honestly say I've never analyzed the art,the story writing, character development, etc. Maybe that makes me "young and naive" or something, but, I mean, I take an English class where I have to pour over EVERYTHING to find the crap I'm looking for, and I certainly don't wanna' do that with the comic I'm supposed to be a fan of.

These characters, the 616 AND their U.U. counterparts...what were they created for in the first place? To me it seems like comics started to tell the stories of people (and sometimes aliens, clones, robots, whatever). Sure, these are super-people who are more than REAL people can ever be...and yet...everyone has some personal struggle...some skeleton in their closet...
They have reasons to NOT do the right thing. They don't NEED to make a difference. They WANT and CHOOSE to. They have anger and fear, comedy and love...Each one of 'em has hope, and most have a chance of redemption by making things better for someone else...

So who cares what story arc goofed up? Why does this color shade or that panel layout matter? For me (and God, do I hope there is SOMEONE who has any idea what I am babbling about), these comics show us what kind of lives we should lead, by setting examples of how human nature is and how it could be...and it helps that we get to have a cool story to go with it. :wink:

Sorry...I don't know if that all sounded right or not. Just ask yourself why you started reading in the first place...:?

Welcome XFactor!

And Thank YOU. What you have said is what I have been saying, only you did it in a more philisophicle kind of way. And it seemed to have hit home.

TheManWithoutFear said:
:shock: You better not be referring to UIM. :x

Maybe :lol:

Maybe not :lol:

Or maybe I'm refferring to the UU in general when it comes to superheros. :lol:

Nas-T! said:
Indeed, that is him, Daniel San. And now that you bring his image up, it's funny cos, recently, in a TV mag some guy wondered what ever happened to Macchio after "My Cousin Vinnie"!!
If I'm not mistaken The Karate Kid Ralph Macchio and Marvel's Ralph Macchio are two different people.

ourchair said:
If I'm not mistaken The Karate Kid Ralph Macchio and Marvel's Ralph Macchio are two different people.

I think they are too. I am pretty sure Macchio was editor for Supreme Power which came out - what - around 85 or 86? Isn't that when Karate Kid came out?

I doubt Daniel-San was editing comic books as Karate Kid.

Latest posts

Back