Alan Moore on why he doesn't like comic book movies

Maybe he's only ever seen :
  • Batman & Robin
  • Howard the duck
  • Catwoman
  • Superman III, IV and returns
  • Fantastic four 2

And other such films. In which case all comic book movies he's seen do in-deed suck.

The main reason why comics can't work as films is largely because everybody who is ultimately in control of the film industry is an accountant.

...so?

These people may be able to add up and balance the books, but in every other area they are stupid and incompetent and don't have any talent.

By that logic, Alan Moore shouldn't even ever make himself a sandwich. He's a comic writer, not a chef.

Do we need any more ****ty films in this world? We have quite enough already. Whereas the 100 million dollars could sort out the civil unrest in Haiti.

I cringe every time someone makes an argument like this. It's the same as complaining about a baseball player making $20 million/yr when teachers and firemen are underpaid, as if they are paid form the same pool or by the same employers.

The League film cost 100 million because Sean Connery wanted 17 million of that - and a bigger explosion that the one he'd had in his last film. It's in his contract that he has to have a bigger explosion with every film he's in.

In The Rock he'd blown up an island, and he was demanding in The League that he blow up, was it Venice or something like that? It would have been the moon in his next movie.

:lol:

I cringe every time someone makes an argument like this. It's the same as complaining about a baseball player making $20 million/yr when teachers and firemen are underpaid, as if they are paid form the same pool or by the same employers.
Funny you say that. A teacher complained about baseball players and making millions of money.

But that's for another thread. :lol:

Last edited:
My theory on why Alan Moore does this:

1. He feels he has a reputation to uphold as a 'curmudgeon'

2. He wants to publicly dismiss the movie version of any project he's in because its a win-win situation. If the movie sucks, people will say 'Moore was right'. If the movie is awesome, people will say, 'As good as it was, it STILL wasn't what Alan Moore thought it should be...he MUST be a genius!'

My other theory on Alan Moore

He's a very good writer - he's got an extremely clear creative vision, and that's rare in any medium. He's possessive of his products, and who wouldn't be if they produced what he has?

I think these two theories interact with each other to produce interviews like this one. I have tremendous respect for him, but at the same time wish he'd go on record explaining things that he likes, and why he likes them... not just why everything is subpar... Its happened, but so rarely.

"We had one particularly dense Hollywood producer say, 'You don't even have to do the book, just stick your name on this idea and I'll make the film and you'll get a lot of money – it's… The League Of Extraordinary Animals! It'll be like Puss In Boots!' And I just said, 'No, no, no. Never mention this to me again.'"

I guess Mavericker met Alan Moore. Good for him

I've said this before, Moore is a genius and like most genius' he can be a bit of a douche
Yeah, I understand the statement, but that really says more about society than any one industry

2. He wants to publicly dismiss the movie version of any project he's in because its a win-win situation. If the movie sucks, people will say 'Moore was right'. If the movie is awesome, people will say, 'As good as it was, it STILL wasn't what Alan Moore thought it should be...he MUST be a genius!'

He's a very good writer - he's got an extremely clear creative vision, and that's rare in any medium. He's possessive of his products, and who wouldn't be if they produced what he has?

I think these two theories interact with each other to produce interviews like this one. I have tremendous respect for him, but at the same time wish he'd go on record explaining things that he likes, and why he likes them... not just why everything is subpar... Its happened, but so rarely.

I totally agree with everything you've said here. As far as the curmudgeon thing goes, I think of Warren Ellis the same way. But yeah, I think you're on to something.

Post of the Day on par with your Blasting Taft Wii game.

Yeah, I understand the statement, but that really says more about society than any one industry

No doubt, but generally when people make that argument, say about baseball players, the criticism and ire is directed at the baseball player, not society, as if the baseball player doesn't have the right to accept the highest amount of money he can possibly get.

Maybe. He still comes off a a big douche though.

Bwahahaha!

I don't know, I think I would dismiss comic book movies and the like if I had experienced similar situations.

Isn't this thread awfully redundant?

we've gone over this atl length a numeroues points in time, I've come to the conclusion is his own trope a "Magnificient Douche" Someone who has every right to be a douchebage, because of his stature in their particular field, but he's still a douche

Latest posts

Back