Alias series discussion [Bendis/Gaydos] [spoilers]

Re: Alias (Bendis) series discussion (spoilers)

Thanks, i really liked it aye, i wish there were more!

Shihad said:
Thanks, i really liked it aye, i wish there were more!

There is - kind of. "The Pulse" is a continuation of Alias and deals with Jessica working at the Daily Bugle. I think it only ran like 14 issues. It wasn't nearly as good as Alias though.

The reason for this was because Marvel didn't want mainstream characters like Spider-Man appearing in a MAX book. Not sure why it was a problem all of the sudden, since Captain America was a pretty prominent feature early in Alias.

E said:
There is - kind of. "The Pulse" is a continuation of Alias and deals with Jessica working at the Daily Bugle. I think it only ran like 14 issues. It wasn't nearly as good as Alias though.

The reason for this was because Marvel didn't want mainstream characters like Spider-Man appearing in a MAX book. Not sure why it was a problem all of the sudden, since Captain America was a pretty prominent feature early in Alias.

Yeah i got Pulse when it was coming out (only for the greengoblin :s)
But i thought Alias was way better, Purple man was so good!

But they did really well with what they were doing, like having Avengers in a flashback etc etc
If i looked at those covers (without having Spider-man on the front), i never would have thought Spider-man or Captain America would be in there, so i would have never bought it..... oh well its marvel's choice, i liked what they did, and its good they finished it before they ruined it

E said:

And didn't Secret War and House of M pretty much hijack the story in The Pulse?

Rhyo said:

House of M just had a one-shot tie-in story, it didn't really effect anything. It was also a really good stand-alone issue. (Issue #10, I think.)

But yeah, the Secret War tie in arc from #6 - 9 went on for ages and accomplished very little. I really enjoyed the other two Pulse arcs though, Thin Air with the Green Goblin and the final one, Fear. Those two are throughly worth reading. Fear, in particular, does read like an extra Alias arc without the swearing. Any Alias fan who skipped The Pulse because they like curse-words too much should at least check out Fear whenever it comes out in TPB, it even has Gaydos art.

Rhyo said:

To be totally honest I've already forgotten much of what happened in The Pulse. I'd have to go back ot the issues and see. But I do seem to remember the Secret War arc being pretty bad. In fact, I think I dropped it mid-arc.

I did enjoy the Hawkeye issue though.

E said:
To be totally honest I've already forgotten much of what happened in The Pulse. I'd have to go back ot the issues and see. But I do seem to remember the Secret War arc being pretty bad. In fact, I think I dropped it mid-arc.

I did enjoy the Hawkeye issue though.

Hawkeye calling Wanda (someone he later professes great love for, be it romantic or otherwise) a "dingy gypsy" seemed... bizarre. Had he been making a joke out of it or saying it with bravado, that would have been one thing, but at the time I'd describe him as more morose and pensive. But Bendis seemed to be going for the idea that Wanda killed Hawkeye on purpose, out of anger with him (which was not the impression I got reading the comics, but rather something Bendis had several characters say and said himself in interviews.)

I did like the lines about reality being paper thin, and the example of the newspaper clipping that Hawkeye read as about his own death but that Kat read as a dedication of a memorial statue. That was probably the best description of how the House of M reality worked that I read anywhere: in the main mini or the tie-in minis I read (Spider-Man, Iron Man and the FF).

Latest posts

Back