All About Books by Comic Book Writers

Gemini

Hey all, I'm getting into a course at school called "Readings: Short Stories, Fiction, and Novels" and to put it lightly.....I haven't voluntarily read an actual novel in uh....awhile. The last "book" I read was Othello for grade 12 english.

I'm looking to get back into reading books of the non-picturey variety to get myself prepared for the course, but since I tend to only read things by writers I'm familiar with, I'm kinda hesitant because the only writer outside of comics I have any sort of repetoir with is Stephen King, and his work get's very tiresome

so I'm looking for some recomendations on books from various comic book writers, I know Vaughn, Carey, Sweirczynski, and so on have some books out there and I'm interested in reading a few of em, so I'd appreciate some suggestions.

and I suppose this thread can function as a thread to discuss books from various comic writers aswell.

Mike Carey has done a couple of novels already in the UK, but are just getting released in NA.

The first one, "The Devil You Know" came out last year. It's part of his Felix Castor novel series.
  • The Devil You Know(UK: April 6, 2006 & US: July 10, 2007)
  • Vicious Circle (UK: October 5, 2006 & US: July 28, 2008)
  • Dead Men's Boots (UK: September 26, 2007)
  • Thicker Than Water (UK: 2008)

Last edited:
Neil Gaiman: Good Omens (with Terry Prachett), American Gods, Anansi Boys.

Orson Scott Card: Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Seventh Son. Despite all the griping you may have read about his work on Ultimate Iron Man, Card really is a very good writer.

Alan Moore has a couple of novels out. Warren Ellis has one. And Neil Gaiman's Good Omens is really, really funny.

Definitely recommend Neil Gaiman's novels. Haven't read Ellis or Moore's books yet, but they're apparently quite good.

I'd like to read Voice of the Fire by Moore but the descriptions of the first chapter of the book terrify me.

I'd like to read Voice of the Fire by Moore but the descriptions of the first chapter of the book terrify me.

Yeah, the first chapter is absolutely insane. I think most people skip it.

I've some of the Gaiman books which are all good and the first Carey novel is very good. It's in the same vein as Hellblazer.

I have started his second book but haven't got very far.

Anyone given Sweirczynski's books a shot?

I haven't but they sound pretty interesting. Actually, I just discovered my library has got a few of them in so I reserved The Wheelman.

Charlie Huston's books are also pretty good. You'll have to ask Baxter about those though.

Anyone given Sweirczynski's books a shot?
Yes. Yes I have.
I haven't but they sound pretty interesting. Actually, I just discovered my library has got a few of them in so I reserved The Wheelman.
The Wheelman is good in an every chapter tries to up the odds or twost the story kind of way. The followup, not really a sequel per say but using some of the same characters, is much more in line with a comic book style plot.

It has many exploding heads.

Charlie Huston's books are also pretty good. You'll have to ask Baxter about those though.

I have forced everyone I know to read Caught Stealing, the first of the Hank trillogy. None of you will be spared. It puts his comic work to shame.

My library has all of Huston's books on order (finally!). I shall be able to read them soon...

My library has all of Huston's books on order (finally!). I shall be able to read them soon...

The Hank books are stronger than the Joe Pitt ones. Pitt being about a vampire PI. The last of that series felt fairly rushed, lots of paragraph long sentences, but the story for it was still strong. As for his stand alone book, The Shotgun Rule, I dunno. I've had it for a while now and haven't had the time to read it.

I guess I'm saying read Caught Stealing. If you like it read Six Bad Things and A Dangerous Man. If you're still on board then jump into the Pitt Casebooks.

Holy after Huston stopped writing Moon Knight I complete forgot about him, I really enjoyed all of his comic work so I'll give definatley give his stuff a shot.

Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis is a goldmine of fun. Read it. It's not a long book by conventional means, but it's definitely a good one. Every chapter is an adventure.

I have Charlie Huston's Caught Stealing and Duane Swierczynski's The Wheelman to read.

Duane Swierczynski is editor-in-chief of the Philadelphia City Paper. A receipt for This Here's a Stick-Up, Duane's nonfiction book on American bank robbery, was found in the getaway car of a San Francisco bandit who'd hit at least thirty California banks.

That's great.

Duane Swierczynski is editor-in-chief of the Philadelphia City Paper. A receipt for This Here's a Stick-Up, Duane's nonfiction book on American bank robbery, was found in the getaway car of a San Francisco bandit who'd hit at least thirty California banks.

That's great.
That's awesome.

I've spent half the day reading The Wheelman. Almost finished. ****ing great book. Lots of characters all trying to manipulate each other. Very entertaining.

Latest posts

Back