All-Star Superman Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I like how each issue seems to focus on a certain character. I'm guessing next issue will be about Lex Luthor.

Jimmy Olsen rocks my socks straight off and into the sky.

Heh.

Man, that was a fantastic issue.

I can't wait for some good Lex Luthor action.

Cool...I was beginning to think me and Vic were the only ones who read it.

I was just showing this to my son and he thought it was the coolest thing ever - Evil Superman and Doomsday. Heh.

also in the first issue
superman is dieing but in this issue they havent adressed that ? is he cured did i miss something

i cant wait for the next issue !

I think Jimmy is even cooler than Superman. I loved the word balloons on the cover. Totally Silver Age.

And I really love Frank Quitely's art. Magnificent stuff.

Gadzookie said:
also in the first issue
superman is dieing but in this issue they havent adressed that ? is he cured did i miss something

i cant wait for the next issue !

It's an ongoing plot.

can anyone explain to me the gypsey curse jimmy is talking about cuase this is pretty much the only superman comic series im into

I guess I'm the only one that isn't impressed by this. I don't like Quietly's art.

The coloring is really good that it makes up some.

I'm just put off by the weridness of this. Jimmy as Doomsday looked horrible.

And the bizarro Superman thing was so chessy.

It's good by all accounts but no where near the best.

Gadzookie said:
can anyone explain to me the gypsey curse jimmy is talking about cuase this is pretty much the only superman comic series im into

It's referencing old Silver Age stories from "Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen" which was an ongoing comic book in the sixties and seventies. It's nothing important to the plot.

As to TGO, I just think you're wrong, but its your oppinion and not mine.... Its just that the cheeziness is what makes it good. Superman only turned serious in the past decade, and this is moving back towards the original level of rediculous that many of these writers grew up with... All the while with this darker undertone that makes the story uniquely Morrison.

Dr.Strangefate said:
It's referencing old Silver Age stories from "Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen" which was an ongoing comic book in the sixties and seventies. It's nothing important to the plot.

If it's refrencing real stories then that the brillance I expect from Morrison.

As to TGO, I just think you're wrong, but its your oppinion and not mine.... Its just that the cheeziness is what makes it good. Superman only turned serious in the past decade, and this is moving back towards the original level of rediculous that many of these writers grew up with... All the while with this darker undertone that makes the story uniquely Morrison.

It makes sense but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Issue 1 was fantastic. The best so far.
2 was very creepy. Stalker creepy.
Issue 3 had some very cool moments and some not.
4 was pretty much the same as three.

Dr.Strangefate said:

Word.

OMG GOOD NEWS !!!!!!

ALL STAR SUPERMAN VOL. 1 HC
Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Frank Quitely; original cover artists: Frank Quitely and Neal Adams
Collects ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1-6
$19.99, 160 pages

should be out in october !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally picked up #4, and enjoyed it. The Jimmy/Doomsday thing I liked, as well as all the nods to the Silver Age era and Jimmy's relationship with Superman. I really like where Morrison's going with this, and the art by Quitely complements his writing perfectly in my opinion. This and AS Batman are now the only two DC comics I buy, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far (way more so in the case of AS Superman...AS Batman & Robin I'm disappointed in, but hoping it'll improve).

Anyway, looking forward to #5.

new issue came out today:

8 out of 5 stars.

this book is once again incredible. morrison's standalones (with loose continuity) are great, and quietly's art is better in this than anything else he's ever done, in my opinion. and that includes we3, indie-snobs! the way he makes a visual continuity through every episode is just incredible.

"Eyebrow, Lexy... eyebrow."

There are no words to describe how awesome All-Star Superman is. The cleverness of Morrison is so evident when we have Clark thwarting Parasite/Prison riot so bumblingly that Lex actually thinks he's in control and saving the day.

This book is great.

Quietly is an amazing artist as well. But that goes without saying. Although personally I like his work on Authority more than I do here.

5/5

Gadzookie said:
OMG GOOD NEWS !!!!!!

ALL STAR SUPERMAN VOL. 1 HC
Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Frank Quitely; original cover artists: Frank Quitely and Neal Adams
Collects ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1-6
$19.99, 160 pages

should be out in october !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since I have it in singles I'll wait for the Absolute Edition. That'll be the bees knees.

I should get tor ead #5 tomorrow or friday. Looking forward to it.

Victor Von Doom said:
There are no words to describe how awesome All-Star Superman is. The cleverness of Morrison is so evident when we have Clark thwarting Parasite/Prison riot so bumblingly that Lex actually thinks he's in control and saving the day.

This book is great.

Quietly is an amazing artist as well. But that goes without saying. Although personally I like his work on Authority more than I do here.

5/5

there are words to describe how good it is. four simple words.

EIGHT

OUT

OF

FIVE

yeah, i'm beginning to believe that Morrison/Quietly is the best team in comics. by, like, a lot.

Loved it. 5/5

Clark Kent is such a convincing doofus, and Lex, as smart as he is, is such an idiot.

The drilling-by-reading-Moby Dick is typical Morrison genius.

The greatness of this book more than made up for the mediocrity of UFF #33.

Latest posts

Back