Annihilation Event

Re: Annihilation Event.

Just grabbed the last seven parts and read them all through. I'm greatly enjoying this event. It's incredibly interesting to see the four "heroes" slowly moving towards Annihulus and the differant approaces and motivations for doing it are thankfully differant for each character. WE have Silver Surfer, whose basically just Jesus with silver paint, being an allaround protector of innocents; there's Super Skrull whose just trying to save his son; Nova is fighting so many forces/motivations around him it makes for a compelling read; No one knows how the hell Ronan will be involved. The bios at the back of books are increibly useful.

Overall I just love the overall insanity of everything- From Thanos attempting to find a seat of power, Ronan's bizarre obsession with justice, Super Skrull's little companion's constant inner monolouge about whether to beleive in SS, Nova's squabble with the Nova Force DAtabase thing, the teaming up of the heralds. Things are gearing up to be explosive, and I'm absolutly loving it. It may not have any real-world overtones [CW] but it's just trying to be a fun and interesting event.

Ultxon said:
Just grabbed the last seven parts and read them all through. I'm greatly enjoying this event. It's incredibly interesting to see the four "heroes" slowly moving towards Annihulus and the differant approaces and motivations for doing it are thankfully differant for each character.

Sounds like a cosmic Seven Soldiers of Victory...

E said:

I believe that's what it's supposed to be, just not as good.

E said:

I hate when people say this? No one before Morrison came up with the concept of several different stories eventually being connected into one? Seven Soldiers never met each other, in this one they get together at the end of their respective minis.

I think I ranted about this before.

Ultimate Houde said:
I hate when people say this? No one before Morrison came up with the concept of several different stories eventually being connected into one? Seven Soldiers never met each other, in this one they get together at the end of their respective minis.

I think I ranted about this before.

I agree with what you said, but it is kinda suspicious that DC does one, and then a couple of months later Marvel begin a similar type, "which has been planned for months".

ProjectX2 said:
I agree with what you said, but it is kinda suspicious that DC does one, and then a couple of months later Marvel begin a similar type, "which has been planned for months".

Keith Griffen is writing it, a writer who is currently in both DC and Marvel, in fact I think he is writing 52

These stories, in my opinion, are nothing alike. Seven Soldiers is an old concept in DC that Morrison put a spin on. The whoel intertwining stories is an old concept that has been ultilzed over and over again, most recently in the Oscar winning movie Crash.

It's just a coincidence. That's all.

No. Its not.

It is rediculous to pretend that Marvel isn't following up on the success of Infinite Crisis tie-ins, and the entire Seven Soldiers of Victory event... If those DC projects hadn't worked, this would simply just not be happening, because they would not believe that the issues could sell.

It really isn't all that more complex than that.

Characters and miniseries have been introduced for years as simple rip-offs of the other big name company's work...

For instance, Next Spring, Marvel has a Stephen King novel, and now Dan Didio has announced that there will be a summer 2007 event penned by a New York Times best seller.

While this is clearly a ripoff of Marvel's idea, that doesn't mean that the DC story won't be good... Because these big response stories don't necessarily reflect the plots between the major companies..

One of Marvel's editor came up with the idea for Annihilation.

And Houde's right.

Last edited:

I'm not saying its not an original idea... I'm saying that just because its an original idea doesn't mean that it wasn't a response to massive series like Infinite Crisis and Seven Soldiers.

If Keith Giffen can pull this off, thats great. I'd love for this to be a fantastic series that explores aspects of the Marvel cosmic universe that havent been explored before, in which case I would definitely pick it up when it comes out in trade...

But I mean... Look at Civil War. It's an original idea that could easily surpass Infinite Crisis.

But that doesn't mean that it wasn't a response to Infinite Crisis.

Regardless of what side of the argument one stands on, the fact remains that Seven Soldiers is great, and Annihilation blows.

And Doc is right.

I wont be buying this series as I don't buy many comics but OMG that pic you posted Ice was just amazing. Looks great.

Ultimate Houde said:
I hate you so much.

Make mad passionate love to me

*makes passionate love to Houde*

E said:
Regardless of what side of the argument one stands on, the fact remains that Seven Soldiers is great, and Annihilation blows.
Can't say anything for Seven Soldiers, but Annihilation does indeed blow.

Ice said:
Can't say anything for Seven Soldiers, but Annihilation does indeed blow.

Validated.

Gracias.

Latest posts

Back