Anyone Computer Savvy?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I already pointed out that I switched it to a new keyboard.

The older keyboard was acting up on those letters, but now this NEW keyboard is acting up on the other side, with K, Y, and O being the new *****y keys.

Also, the old keyboard needed six weeks after being repaired before it started misbehaving again.

Maybe just weird coincidence that the new one is acting up too.

You said it was Logitech - did you check and amke sure all of the device drivers were up to date? I've seen Windows updates cause weird problems with things like this, and the manufacturers have to update software/drivers to fix them.

Maybe just weird coincidence that the new one is acting up too.

You said it was Logitech - did you check and amke sure all of the device drivers were up to date? I've seen Windows updates cause weird problems with things like this, and the manufacturers have to update software/drivers to fix them.
Haven't tried that with the Logitech keyboard, but I did download updated drivers and software for the current keyboard I'm using, a Microsoft Internet Keyboard and I'm still getting problems. It's taking me some effort to avoid typos right now.

I have a Motorola Razr V3 and I can't figure out how to upload photos and stuff onto my computer from it. I have the right USB cable but when I plug it in it just says it needs to look for new software, and then that it couldn't get any. Everywhere I've looked on line just turns up replies like "Oh, just get Bluetooth. It's only $25"(ha!) or "Just use the software CD that came with the phone"(it didn't).

Anybody ever have a similar problem and/or know what to do?

I have a Motorola Razr V3 and I can't figure out how to upload photos and stuff onto my computer from it. I have the right USB cable but when I plug it in it just says it needs to look for new software, and then that it couldn't get any. Everywhere I've looked on line just turns up replies like "Oh, just get Bluetooth. It's only $25"(ha!) or "Just use the software CD that came with the phone"(it didn't).

Anybody ever have a similar problem and/or know what to do?
Here are the drivers

Go here for more help.

Okay, I just plugged in a new keyboard. Everything's working fine right now, but everytime I boot up my system, it gives me the "Keyboard error or no keyboard present" message at the BIOS startup, even though I can still press F1 to continue.

Anybody know how to get rid of this message? Should I worry about this?

Okay, I just plugged in a new keyboard. Everything's working fine right now, but everytime I boot up my system, it gives me the "Keyboard error or no keyboard present" message at the BIOS startup, even though I can still press F1 to continue.

Anybody know how to get rid of this message? Should I worry about this?

Did the keyboard come with an install disk? If so use it if not try checking the drivers and looking at the site of the company that makes the keyboard for any files or whatever that could install / update it

Did the keyboard come with an install disk? If so use it if not try checking the drivers and looking at the site of the company that makes the keyboard for any files or whatever that could install / update it
It's an old-school --- possibly CMOS related --- problem, not a driver problem.

I know you're trying to be helpful, but please stop replying with answers that I can get from corporate tech support or the Windows Help file.

It's an old-school --- possibly CMOS related --- problem, not a driver problem.

I know you're trying to be helpful, but please stop replying with answers that I can get from corporate tech support or the Windows Help file.

Sorry , Was just saying how I fixed a similar problem I had when my keyboard ****ed up

Sorry , Was just saying how I fixed a similar problem I had when my keyboard ****ed up
My keyboard hasn't ****ed up.

I'm just trying to get rid of an annoying message that doesn't seem to apply.

Also, most computer users with reasonable technical competence knows that the driver software or hardware connections are the first thing to check.

Hmmmm, that seems like an odd problem.

A few questions though if you don't mind.

What type of an keyboard is it? USB or PS2?
And if it is an USB do you use an PS2 adapter to connect it?
And have you used the same adapter on all the keyboards that have been faulty?

Have you looked in the bios to see if there is a setting that effects keyboards (sometimes the settings can be named tricky)?

Another thing you could do would be to unplug your keyboard, reboot and plug in it again. Sometimes it solves keyboard problems.

Since the (current) problem happens when you boot it COULD be the CMOS battery that needs to be replaced. An indication of that would be if your computers time gets messed up from time to time (slow, fast or just strange) but it's just a symptom and not something that happens every time there is a battery problem.

Hmmmm, that seems like an odd problem.

A few questions though if you don't mind.

What type of an keyboard is it? USB or PS2?
And if it is an USB do you use an PS2 adapter to connect it?
And have you used the same adapter on all the keyboards that have been faulty?
The previous keyboards that were experiencing keystroke problems were PS2, as is the one I am using right now that seems to be working fine. If the problem continues the same way, then I expect in a two weeks this keyboard will start experiencing keystroke problems as well.

Ultimate Warrior said:
Have you looked in the bios to see if there is a setting that effects keyboards (sometimes the settings can be named tricky)?
Will check that out ASAP. :)

Ultimate Warrior said:
Another thing you could do would be to unplug your keyboard, reboot and plug in it again. Sometimes it solves keyboard problems.
Having swapped keyboards around and plugged them back in and out, in an attempt to isolate the problem between the computer or the keyboard, I can safely say that this solution hasn't helped. :(

Ultimate Warrior said:
Since the (current) problem happens when you boot it COULD be the CMOS battery that needs to be replaced. An indication of that would be if your computers time gets messed up from time to time (slow, fast or just strange) but it's just a symptom and not something that happens every time there is a battery problem.
This computer is relatively old --- about three years --- so that is quite possible. I'm still completely surprised as I've owned older computers and have never had a CMOS battery run out on me (or worn out a keyboard, which is why I find it hard to believe that the keyboard itself is at fault)

I did some reading up and some sites talk about a 'keyboard receiver' problem in the motherboard (though none of them talk about how to address such a problem). This is first I've heard of such a component in the motherboard, and wonder if this might have some connection with the CMOS battery or the motherboard just being real old.

Last edited:
The previous keyboards that were experiencing keystroke problems were PS2, as is the one I am using right now that seems to be working fine. If the problem continues the same way, then I expect in a two weeks this keyboard will start experiencing keystroke problems as well.
It sounds like the problem lies in the PS2 port or connection. If it were a USB keyboard the problem might have been a little trickier. Usually the keyboard is being initiated before the USB ports which makes it troublesome sometimes.
Will check that out ASAP. :)
Do that. It can't hurt.
Having swapped keyboards around and plugged them back in and out, in an attempt to isolate the problem between the computer or the keyboard, I can safely say that this solution hasn't helped. :(
Sorry to hear that but at least it eliminates the possibility that there are something wrong with the configuration or conflict.
This computer is relatively old --- about three years --- so that is quite possible. I'm still completely surprised as I've owned older computers and have never had a CMOS battery run out on me (or worn out a keyboard, which is why I find it hard to believe that the keyboard itself is at fault)
Well, batteries ages differently. One might hold for 20 years, another only 3. You might have gotten a bad one.
I did some reading up and some sites talk about a 'keyboard receiver' problem in the motherboard (though none of them talk about how to address such a problem). This is first I've heard of such a component in the motherboard, and wonder if this might have some connection with the CMOS battery or the motherboard just being real old.
Could be and it sounds like a good possibility.

Woohoo! New problem!

I fixed the overheating problem, thanks to some cleaning and fixing of fans. My computer's been fine for about or month or so. However, tonight, something else came up.

I was fiddling with my internet, because it went down for some reason not related to the cable company and accidentally hit the power surge switch for my computer. Well, I figured I'd just turn it back on and now. . .Windows won't load. I've tried starting normally, reverting to previously good settings and even going into Safe Mode and nothing works. So, I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Woohoo! New problem!

I fixed the overheating problem, thanks to some cleaning and fixing of fans. My computer's been fine for about or month or so. However, tonight, something else came up.

I was fiddling with my internet, because it went down for some reason not related to the cable company and accidentally hit the power surge switch for my computer. Well, I figured I'd just turn it back on and now. . .Windows won't load. I've tried starting normally, reverting to previously good settings and even going into Safe Mode and nothing works. So, I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Pee on it. I know it sounds like I'm just screwing with you, and being stupid or whatever, but I honestly know. Trust me.

Pee on it.

Woohoo! New problem!

Have you tried booting from the CD?

Have you tried booting from the CD?

Well, that's the thing. I have the Recovery CD, which brings me straight to setup to install Windows but I don't actually have the Windows CD since it was installed at the factory. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be the same thing.

I can reformat it, but. . .kinda don't want to.

EDIT: Also, as an addendum to this, there's only a couple of documents on the HD that I'd really like to keep; everything else can easily be replaced. Is there any way to recover those by putting them on a CD before I reformat?

Last edited:
Well, that's the thing. I have the Recovery CD, which brings me straight to setup to install Windows but I don't actually have the Windows CD since it was installed at the factory. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be the same thing.

I can reformat it, but. . .kinda don't want to.
It really depends on which company you bought the computer from. Some come with just a recovery CD that reformats and installs Windows (and other programs) while others works like the Windows CD but only for the computer it is meant to.
EDIT: Also, as an addendum to this, there's only a couple of documents on the HD that I'd really like to keep; everything else can easily be replaced. Is there any way to recover those by putting them on a CD before I reformat?
Have you access to another computer with USB (2.0) ports? In that case you can buy an adapter between your harddrive and USB (can be found almost anywhere). You will then have access to everything on your harddrive like it was a secondary harddrive on THAT computer. Then you just have to copy your files that you want to burn and make a CD.

NOTE: you have to remove the harddrive from the computer before you do that of course.

Last edited:
It really depends on which company you bought the computer from. Some come with just a recovery CD that reformats and installs Windows (and other programs) while others works like the Windows CD but only for the computer it is meant to.

Alienware. I have a Recovery Disc, which seems to just want to reinstall Windows and a Respawn Disc, which restores the computer to factory condition, Windows and all. I'll probably be using the Respawn disc if I can't get a Windows disc. . .

Have you access to another computer with USB (2.0) ports? In that case you can buy an adapter between your harddrive and USB (can be found almost anywhere). You will then have access to everything on your harddrive like it was a secondary harddrive on THAT computer. Then you just have to copy your files that you want to burn and make a CD.

NOTE: you have to remove the harddrive from the computer before you do that of course.

Do you know what that adapter is called, specifically? I have access to an old Dell which has USB 2.0 ports, and I can yank the harddrive tonight, I would just need the name of the adapter. I'm assuming by doing that, my HD would wind up being the equivalent of an external HD on the other CPU?

Alienware. I have a Recovery Disc, which seems to just want to reinstall Windows and a Respawn Disc, which restores the computer to factory condition, Windows and all. I'll probably be using the Respawn disc if I can't get a Windows disc. . .
Yeah, that is what most companies recovery CD does. It's really a shame but it is more easily for them I guess.
Do you know what that adapter is called, specifically? I have access to an old Dell which has USB 2.0 ports, and I can yank the harddrive tonight, I would just need the name of the adapter. I'm assuming by doing that, my HD would wind up being the equivalent of an external HD on the other CPU?
You are right. It will work like an external harddrive. As for the name it really depends on what kind of HD you have. I had a IDE drive when I had to do it and the adapter was named something like "IDE to USB" or "IDE 2 USB" or something like that. There are quite a few companies that manufactures those so I can't be specific about what brand you should look for.

Edit: Here is a link with some choices so you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is what most companies recovery CD does. It's really a shame but it is more easily for them I guess.

You are right. It will work like an external harddrive. As for the name it really depends on what kind of HD you have. I had a IDE drive when I had to do it and the adapter was named something like "IDE to USB" or "IDE 2 USB" or something like that. There are quite a few companies that manufactures those so I can't be specific about what brand you should look for.

Edit: Here is a link with some choices so you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks, UW. I really, really appreciate it. :D

Latest posts

Back