Anyone Computer Savvy?

Sounds like your computer is overheating.

Hmmmmm. . .I guess that'd make sense, as I live in Florida and the room my computer is in is always quite warm (There are two other computers in here). How would I fix that, though? I already have 3 fans and a liquid cooling system in there. . .

Hmmmmm. . .I guess that'd make sense, as I live in Florida and the room my computer is in is always quite warm (There are two other computers in here). How would I fix that, though? I already have 3 fans and a liquid cooling system in there. . .
Make sure that they are not blowing hot air into each other, the room should have fresh air coming in (if the hot air is just circulating around in the room it doesn't do any good). You should also considering installing another fan in the computer.

But before you're doing all that MAKE SURE that you don't have any virus on your computer. They can make the computer working very hard and overheating it because of that. The same goes for spyware.

I've been trying to install direct x 9 recently, I get this message about halfway through installation each time "This program did not pass windows logo testing to verify its compatability with windows xp." I read online about updating your garphics card drivers and I did that, and I also enabled cryptographic services like it said to, but I'm still getting the same error message! any help would be awesome at this point.

Does anybody know a good easy way (ergo painless with the least number of steps possible) to burn .mkv files to be playable on a DVD player?

I already have Nero Burning ROM and Roxio Easy CD Creator, but can't figure out what to do.

Does anybody know a good easy way (ergo painless with the least number of steps possible) to burn .mkv files to be playable on a DVD player?

I already have Nero Burning ROM and Roxio Easy CD Creator, but can't figure out what to do.

I would say buy *cough*bittorrent*cough* something like this http://www.acidfiles.com/Audio-Multimedia/Video-Tools/MKV-Converter.html this sound like the easiest thing for you as you just convert it to a format you are familiar with then do what you normally do.

I would say buy *cough*bittorrent*cough* something like this http://www.acidfiles.com/Audio-Multimedia/Video-Tools/MKV-Converter.html this sound like the easiest thing for you as you just convert it to a format you are familiar with then do what you normally do.
Thanks will check it out.

Also...

I'm currently using BitTorrent, but am told that Azureus is much better.

I'm currently downloading the whole 5 gigs of Ergo Proxy episodes. I have the first ten episodes from way back when they first got fansubbed.

I'm about to install Azureus because I'm told it allows you to pick and choose which files to download... and that would help me a lot because that would mean I can NOT have to re-download the ten episodes I already have.

So the question is this: If I install Azureus right now, can it resume the incomplete torrents I currently have on another client?

I use Quicktime to convert the MKV into anyone of the MPEG formats, then run that through iMovie/iDVD. On the PC side, I use the free MKToolnix to strip the MKV into its component parts and use TMPEnc to put it together into its DVD format.

Azureus rules. If you reopen the torrent file in Azureus, then it should carry on downloading it from where it picked up.

Azureus rules. If you reopen the torrent file in Azureus, then it should carry on downloading it from where it picked up.
Does that mean that when I install Azureus I have to make sure to appoint the folder from where my original client was loading the temporary torrent data?

Does that mean that when I install Azureus I have to make sure to appoint the folder from where my original client was loading the temporary torrent data?

Probably. Why don't you just wait until the other client finishes downloading the torrent and then start anew with Azureus? It's better to be safe than sorry and there's always something that will go wrong.

Probably. Why don't you just wait until the other client finishes downloading the torrent and then start anew with Azureus? It's better to be safe than sorry and there's always something that will go wrong.
Gah... alright.

I don't see the point of starting anew on a torrent I would already have downloaded though.

But yeah, I get what you mean.

&^%#!ing hate re-downloading episodes I already have.

Also, does anybody know of a quick app that allows me to just instantly convert an MP3 file's sampling rate?

I think it's quite possible to make a simple one-button program where you just put an MP3 file in and after setting the rate (128kbps, 160kbps, 192kbps, so on) just press convert or something.

I have a lot of MP3s whose sampling rate needs to be lowered.

ourchair said:
Gah... alright.

I don't see the point of starting anew on a torrent I would already have downloaded though.

But yeah, I get what you mean.

&^%#!ing hate re-downloading episodes I already have.

No, I meant finish the torrent you're already downloading with the current client, then start using Azureus after that for any new torrents.

Unless you do understand what I'm saying and you're trying to trick me. Or I'm trying to trick you.

Touche.

No, I meant finish the torrent you're already downloading with the current client, then start using Azureus after that for any new torrents.

Unless you do understand what I'm saying and you're trying to trick me. Or I'm trying to trick you.
I know what you say and what you mean and what I mean is that what I say about the meaning of what you said that means what I said.

Somebody explain to me exactly why Azureus seems to be faster at torrenting than the regular BitTorrent client. It baffles me.

Also, does anybody know any good MP3 audio converters that are fast and can do batch conversion? I've got way too many MP3s that are at 320kbps when they don't really need to be, and are only taking up space.

Somebody explain to me exactly why Azureus seems to be faster at torrenting than the regular BitTorrent client. It baffles me.

Also, does anybody know any good MP3 audio converters that are fast and can do batch conversion? I've got way too many MP3s that are at 320kbps when they don't really need to be, and are only taking up space.

I agree about Azrueus, although it does seem to take up a lot of system resources.

I use iTunes for large numbers of conversions - I get the same thing with the 320 kbps MP3s and I take them down to 128 AAC. iTunes does it well, and fast.

I agree about Azrueus, although it does seem to take up a lot of system resources.

I use iTunes for large numbers of conversions - I get the same thing with the 320 kbps MP3s and I take them down to 128 AAC. iTunes does it well, and fast.
I didn't even know iTunes did conversions for anything other than CDs and .WMA files!

How do you do that?

*gorilla hands fumble about keyboard*

I didn't even know iTunes did conversions for anything other than CDs and .WMA files!

How do you do that?

*gorilla hands fumble about keyboard*

You set what you want to convert to in your preferences. Under "Importing" I think.

Then just bring the MP3s into your library. You can import them or just drag the files into the main library window and iTunes will import them automatically.

Then highlight the ones you want to convert to and right click, and select "Convert to AAC" (or, if you have it set to convert to MP3, it will probably say MP3).

Then just leave it alone. Minimize the window and don't do anything else, because when it's done the original files will be highlighted, at which point you can just delete them.

You set what you want to convert to in your preferences. Under "Importing" I think.

Then just bring the MP3s into your library. You can import them or just drag the files into the main library window and iTunes will import them automatically.

Then highlight the ones you want to convert to and right click, and select "Convert to AAC" (or, if you have it set to convert to MP3, it will probably say MP3).

Then just leave it alone. Minimize the window and don't do anything else, because when it's done the original files will be highlighted, at which point you can just delete them.
I see.

Why do you use AAC though? Not that I've listened to very much of it, but I think I prefer MP3 in terms of quality to size ratio.

Latest posts

Back