Aquaman Speculation/News Discussion

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
"Aquaman" Comes To Television
Posted: Monday November 14th, 2005 4:06pm
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Author: Garth Franklin

The WB Network has given a put pilot commitment to a live-action rendering of the DC Comics character "Aquaman" from "Smallville" executive producers Miles Millar and Alfred Gough says The Hollywood Reporter.

The series is envisioned as a contemporary reinterpretation of the character who lives in the deep sea and enlists sharks and other oceanic creatures to help him in his crime-fighting endeavors.

The new-model Aquaman will be a man in his early twenties and like "Smallville", there's no costumes or other superhero accessories used when his superpowers are invoked. The character appeared on the October 20th episode of "Smallville" played by Alan Ritchson, but a new actor will be put in this series role. The pilot is planning to shoot early next year in Florida.

Thanks to 'Dane'

Source: Darkhorizons

I didn't even think it was newsworthy for the facts that it's Aquaman and people on this site hate DC. Buuut it's seriously on every site I get my news from so it was a calling. The good news is a new actor and not the same Alan Ritchson from the "Aquaman" ep in SMALLVILLE. He was all right but not good enough to hold a series. Anyway, my prediction is it won't last. Good luck to it though and I'll probably be setting it on the DVR.

Last edited:
Re: Aquaman (Discussion/Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:
.........reinterpretation of the character who lives in the deep sea and enlists sharks and other oceanic creatures to help him in his crime-fighting endeavors............

How many ways can you interpret that???? How stupid is that premise????

"Oh.... bank is being robbed!!!! I'll need back-up. Let me call my trusty shark friends. They should have no problem getting out of the water and traveling 5 miles inland to help me out."

:roll:

I see "Aquaman" taking off about as much as Marvel and FOX's "Generation X" series. Anyone recall that??? One 2 hour premiere.......then gone into celluloid history.

Why couldn't they bring back "The Flash" to TV????

Last edited:

Aquaman? In his own TV series?

It won't last.

See, characters like Superman and Batman can have Smallville-esque series because they both have rich backstories. In fact, Smallville was spun out of a pilot and premise for a show called "Bruce Wayne" that followed Bruce on his globetrotting and also him being in Gotham before he became the Bat, and it basically showed where he gets his stuff, what he is, and why. The first season was meant to end with him finding the cave underneath the manor.

But back on topic, yeah, those two characters as well as some others can have long-term shows chronicling their journeys to becoming heroes because they have rich histories and backstories. Aquaman, however, does not. There's only so much you can do with the underwater-save-the-world premise.

I doubt it'll succeed. I find it too presumptous that the high ratings of the "Aqua" episode would mean that an Aquaman series would be a success. I think that episode had high ratings because of the geekdom getting all giddy about another recognizable DC character showing up in Smallville. Kinda sucks that they scrapped the idea of having Bruce Wayne show up in Smallville, hope they change their minds in the future.

Aquaman got the shaft in DC's own Identity Crisis and won't even show up in their JLA video game. Aquaman has become the butt of jokes for countless superhero spoofs because of his limited abilities.WB's nuts. I would prefer if they pushed through with their original plan for a Flash show ala Smallville which never got off the ground.

Still, I would like to see how they would handle this series. They better do it well if they actually want this to succeed.

Last edited:

I'd rather they not push it and just let it go. Batman would work but the others... not so much.

I decided I'm gonna pull for this though. Aquaman isn't a joke. I don't know why people think he's lame and after a few live action sequences people will think differently. Though that will save the character, not the show.

Last edited:

Aquaman = teh sux0rz

UltimateE said:
Aquaman = teh sux0rz
aquaman.jpg

An update on what we can expect from the series and the pilot: http://www.aquamantv.com/aquaspoilers.htm

I make fun of Aquaman all of the time, but I'll admit that I'd never wanna' fight the guy. He's got anger issues and in a fight he's a bad MF'er. Not to mention that he can summon a whale to leap out of the water and fall on you, like what he did to Namor in DC Vs. Marvel.

Aquaman on the WB

January 9, 2006 - The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed rumors that first began circulating online over the weekend that unknown actor Will Toale has been cast in the title role of The WB Network's forthcoming series, Aquaman.

With the casting of Toale, THR says the WB has now ordered a pilot for Aquaman. The trade reminds us that the series is "a contemporary reinterpretation of the character who lives in the deep sea and enlists oceanic creatures to help him in his crime-fighting endeavors."

Smallville vets Miles Millar and Alfred Gough will serve as the series' writers and executive producers.

Toale's best known effort has been a supporting role in the Broadway revival of A Streetcar Named Desire.

For pic of the guy...clicky el linky

Personally...I think the show will fail. But then again I thought the same thing when the WB said they were doing a spin-off series from a movie about a teenage girl who fights vampires, so what do I know? :p

Re: Aquaman on the WB

Yeah....couldn't find it. If the mods know where and wanna merge my post with that thread and delete this one....great.

Originally Posted By Victor Von Doom
"....enlists oceanic creatures to help him in his crime-fighting endeavors."

How much crime fighting could sea creatures do? Well, maybe if an aquarium is being robbed they could help.

Originally Posted By Victor Von Doom
Personally...I think the show will fail.

Probably...does anyone remember The Flash tv series?

Aquaman is royalty, he doesnt run surf-shops

And being buff and blonde doesnt make you perfect as Aquaman, you need someone who looks more intelligent than this guy...

Latest posts

Back