Barry Bonds: This is what America has become.

Is Barry Bonds deserving of our respect?

• Total voters

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
When I was young, I idolized Babe Ruth. I'm not a huge sports fan anymore but when I tried to be I followed the entire history of George.

Now today I cringe. Barry Bonds has tied his Home Run record.

I'm gonna try to get this poll out before my computer shuts off again, so I'm making it short and sweet.

Babe Ruth - Brought the country together.

Barry Bonds - Tore the country in two with his whole controversy of steroids.

What are your thoughts? Is Barry Bonds really a hero or a great American Icon?

What no Bass option? :lol:

Ok...I admit--I don't follow sports.......at all. I don't know who won the last Super Bowl. I couldn't tell you what team Shaq plays for. I fell outta love with sports in my senior year in high school. But whatever.......

But with this Barry Bonds thingy-deal-topic whatever...here's my 2 yen:

If he accomplished this great achievement without steroids....then I say yes. Granted he might not be the role model The Babe was. But you gotta give credit where credit is due.

If he is actually guilty of steroid use...then I say his accomplishments should be wiped clean. I'm sure there is a way to tell how long he's been using....maybe. But if not---how are we to determine when he started and when he quit? What records can we clear and what should stay?

So all in all---if he's clean...congrats. If not---for shame.

But you know the old saying---if you ain't cheating...you ain't trying. :wink:

I agree, records are for people who worked hard and earned the title, not take some wonder drug it should be on their own sweat and blood. I hate it when they use the excuse "we have to becuase we need to be the best o0r we will be fired" Than you get fired cause your not the best so what. You wanna be the best than you work for it, in my opinion taking steriods make you a loser who couldnt do better and whines about it.

American Sports are stupid.

moonmaster said:
I don't think New Zealand even has sports.

If you call Baseball and American 'Football' sports, then no, we don't.

ProjectX2 said:
If you call Baseball and American 'Football' sports, then no, we don't.
I'm sure there are lots of great sports in New Zealand like,....

Um,.....

Uh,.....

...Yeah, lots of great sports, I'm sure.

I say he deserves some respect for his accomplishment even if he is using.

For one thing, he'd hardly be the only one, so to be the best in a group of steroid user is still to be the best.

And secondly, if I was using steroids like candy, you'd never be hearing about it. Because no matter how much drug I'd be taking, I'd still stink at baseball.

What, you think you can drag some hobo from the street, juice him up, and have him beat Babe Ruth's record? Heck no. You still have to be extremely talented and train very hard. That's what most steroids do, you know. Allow you to train harder and longer than your body could otherwise sustain. Popping the pills alone will do squat for your performances. You have to put in the hours too.

So yeah, Bond is no role model, both for his behavior of the field and for his probable use of prohibited subtsance. He's still a great ball player.

Last edited:
I'm sad. I was hoping he might get hit by a bus or something before he had a chance to tie the Babe.

And in defense of Bond even though I think it's a damn shame he's made it this far and has "achieved" this honor, I do think that Babe Ruth, if he was alive and playing this day and age, would also be using steroids. But the simple fact is, he didn't and does not play in an age that steroids are accesible. Even drunks like Ruth back in the day knew how to handle their alcohol and whatnot to the point where they could play the next day. Might not mean anything to some people but I had a discussion tonight about this and it was brought up.

moonmaster said:
I'm sure there are lots of great sports in New Zealand like,....

Um,.....

Uh,.....

...Yeah, lots of great sports, I'm sure.

They play rugby. Very, very well. First in the world rankings.

I've always wanted to get into baseball but nowhere over here plays or shows it :(

Maybe I'll hit a game or two when I'm in NY....whos good? The only thing I know about the various teams is that the Red Sox suck.

Patriot Mk2 said:
Maybe I'll hit a game or two when I'm in NY....whos good? The only thing I know about the various teams is that the Red Sox suck.

Actually they are good, but they are all a-holes and their fans are even bigger a-holes.

Good right now - my hometown Detroit Tigers are tearing it up and are in 1st in their division, ahead of the defending champs Chicago White Sox (who are also very good). St. Louis Cardinals are great. New York Mets are playing extremely well.

DIrishB said:
So how many away is he from taking first place?
50-60 something.

E said:
Actually they are good, but they are all a-holes and their fans are even bigger a-holes.

Good right now - my hometown Detroit Tigers are tearing it up and are in 1st in their division, ahead of the defending champs Chicago White Sox (who are also very good). St. Louis Cardinals are great. New York Mets are playing extremely well.
Don't forget the best team of all time, the team that has won the most championchips of ANY sports team, the New York Yankees! 8)

Patriot Mk2 said:
They play rugby. Very, very well. First in the world rankings.
"Rug-By"? What's that? Listen, you can't just put random words together and pretend like its a real sport. Did Proj put you up to this?
E said:
the defending champs Chicago White Sox (who are also very good)
Very, very, very good. :D

*nut-kicks Cubs fan*

Patriot Mk2 said:
Ok. Does Sox mean anything?

That can refer to either the Red Sox or the White Sox.

Ice said:
Don't forget the best team of all time, the team that has won the most championchips of ANY sports team, the New York Yankees! 8)

The Yankees started off slow but have picked up recently. The win over the Mets last night certainly helped. Cetainly they are the best team all time...I was talking more so far this season.

Latest posts

Back