Bass & Cap's Amazing MTG thread.

In recent years some boardgamecompanies have been trying to adopt this format too. There is a bad trend of releasing 'expansions' for popular games, more often than not ruining the appeal or dynamic of the original game. Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan spring to mind as prime examples. Videogames have been successfull in this as well. First you pay money for the original game, and then in order to get better gear or new areas you have to pay for DLC. You don't have to, but the game (like MTG) will be more fun if you do. I think it's impressive buisnessformat.

Thats not that recent actually. Monopoly released an expansion that added stock trading to the game as early as 1936.

I play too much settlers. I bought it on my phone and I've got over 180 hours logged into it...

I feel like the Dominion expansions are probably the best done expansions in regular boxed games. Each one really changes the strategy of the game quite a bit.

Also, apparently IDW Comics is releasing and MTG comic this week.

117478_390829_5.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like the Dominion expansions are probably the best done expansions in regular boxed games. Each one really changes the strategy of the game quite a bit.

Also, apparently IDW Comics is releasing and MTG comic this week.

117478_390829_5.jpg

Yep, the first issue comes with an alternate art Faithless Looting. Get it a whole 2 days before Dark Ascension goes on sale! The second issue is Treasure Hunt. I don't remember if the others have been revealed yet.

Last edited:
Only variant art. The cards are reprinted in regular sets so they'll be easy to get.
Or in the case of the second issues Treasure Hunt has already had a regular printing and a textless player rewards printing.

Anyone hit a prerelease this weekend?

Friday said:
Or in the case of the second issues Treasure Hunt has already had a regular printing and a textless player rewards printing.

Anyone hit a prerelease this weekend?

No. All the prereleases are too far away for me sadly.

I think i want to make a white soldier deck.

and a white Kithkin Deck

And a Green Treefolk deck

basically I want to be able to recreate LOTR with Magic. I already have an elf deck and a goblin deck. Kithkin are basically awesome Hobbits. Unfortunately they don't have many dwarf cards.

Now a days, I have a **** ton of dwarf cards from the past.

And in my time, there was only one Kithkin card. Who knew they created enough to make a deck based on them.

Don't bother with Treefolk, from what I've seen they would need alot of support from others to be offensive enough.

Now a days, I have a **** ton of dwarf cards from the past.

And in my time, there was only one Kithkin card. Who knew they created enough to make a deck based on them.

Don't bother with Treefolk, from what I've seen they would need alot of support from others to be offensive enough.

Doran, The Seige Tower would like a word with you.

And there were a ton of dwarves printed in the Odessey block, and a couple straglers in Onslaught Block and Eventide.

I had to search for that card.

But it's tricolor. And Tri color decks are very tough to pull off competitively.

Not so much anymore, especially that color combination. You can start with Murmuring Bosk, some Treefolk Harbringers, and a few green based M10/Innistrad lands and have a fully functioning mana base on the cheap. One of the things Wizards has done in the last 5 or so years was make lands much, much better. That change, along with some others all go back to design philosphy of "Players want to cast thier spells, we shoudl let them."

And there were a ton of dwarves printed in the Odessey block, and a couple straglers in Onslaught Block and Eventide.

really? I searched for dwarf cards and only found about five or six that were REALLY old and not very cool.

EDIT: nevermind. I searched for cards with dwarf in the title instead of dwarf card types. They're still not great cards though.

Last edited:
really? I searched for dwarf cards and only found about five or six that were REALLY old and not very cool.

EDIT: nevermind. I searched for cards with dwarf in the title instead of dwarf card types. They're still not great cards though.

I never said they were good! Just that they were printed.

You'd probably be better off going Barbarians, theres a good bit of cross over, Balthor the Stout and all, and a much more supported tribe through history. Try using The Gatherer if you're not already.

I get annoyed when I want to make a deck, the cards come out, something in it turns out to be 'power', drives the price up, everyone's playing it and I look like a jerk.

I love Lord of the Unreal, dammit.

Also, I want to make a deck of Phylactery Liches and Vengeful Pharoahs because WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT SUCH A DECK?!

I get annoyed when I want to make a deck, the cards come out, something in it turns out to be 'power', drives the price up, everyone's playing it and I look like a jerk.

I love Lord of the Unreal, dammit.

Also, I want to make a deck of Phylactery Liches and Vengeful Pharoahs because WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT SUCH A DECK?!

I should really post my Grimgrin EDH/Commander deck... once the Dark Ascension rebuild is done.

So I went to GP Baltimore over the weekend. I got destroyed. I honestly can't ever remember doing that badly. And the worst part is I can only think of one point in the tournament that I made a mistake. My real problem was running the French Rites list into a room that was familier with it. Everyone had hate. EVERYONE. Red Deck Wins even brought in Nihil Spellbomb against me.

So I'm pretty unhappy with myself about it. I need to play more often if I'm going to keep going to the big tournaments. Its not really worth it if I don't have a shot at prizing. Otherwise I should save my money and play at home.

I did get some great deals on foils for my Grimgrim EDH Deck, like Foil Phyrexian Arena, Judge Foil Living Death, and a Geraf's Messanger. I'm only 9 cards away from compleating it. I don't see shelling out for a Judge Demonic Tutor anytime soon though. I mean its $100 bucks.

So I went to GP Baltimore over the weekend. I got destroyed. I honestly can't ever remember doing that badly. And the worst part is I can only think of one point in the tournament that I made a mistake. My real problem was running the French Rites list into a room that was familier with it. Everyone had hate. EVERYONE. Red Deck Wins even brought in Nihil Spellbomb against me.

So I'm pretty unhappy with myself about it. I need to play more often if I'm going to keep going to the big tournaments. Its not really worth it if I don't have a shot at prizing. Otherwise I should save my money and play at home.

I did get some great deals on foils for my Grimgrim EDH Deck, like Foil Phyrexian Arena, Judge Foil Living Death, and a Geraf's Messanger. I'm only 9 cards away from compleating it. I don't see shelling out for a Judge Demonic Tutor anytime soon though. I mean its $100 bucks.

I may have one of those. I have the original Demonic Tutor, I'm not too sure what a Judge Demonic Tutor is.

Latest posts

Back