Batman: Arkham City (spoilers!)

Re: Arkham Asylum Sequel.

Doom was drunk when he posted. He made it up!

:shifty:

The more I think about this, the more I think that there's no way it's a full-on sequel. The game came out like ten minutes ago. Mass Effect is only getting a sequel, now.

I'm thinking this might just be just a big-deal DLC mini-story that sees the action extend a little bit outside of Arkham, to keep the fans interested for another while, while they start the preliminary work on the sequel (this is what Mass Effect did). In fact, I hope that's what it is. I honestly don't really have a lot of faith in them to produce a sequel that lives up to the first game, in such a short amount of time.

Last edited:

That's assuming that the game comes out next year. Again, this is just a trailer announcing the sequel (it was said that it was a sequel). It might not even be out until 2011 or even 2012 if there were any delays due to any number or reasons.

I'm guessing they could have easily made a statement saying there was going to be a sequel because of the high reception/sales the game received, but they figured that they'll get more P.R. through a teaser in an awards ceremony for games that people watch, thus reaching more people.

Also, there's a big difference between this and Mass Effect. M.E. is a huge RPG game and requires more time devoted to it because of the game structure.

Last edited:

That's assuming that the game comes out next year. Again, this is just a trailer announcing the sequel (it was said that it was a sequel). It might not even be out until 2011 or even 2012 if there were any delays due to any number or reasons.

I'm guessing they could have easily made a statement saying there was going to be a sequel because of the high reception/sales the game received, but they figured that they'll get more P.R. through a teaser in an awards ceremony for games that people watch, thus reaching more people.

Also, there's a big difference between this and Mass Effect. M.E. is a huge RPG game and requires more time devoted to it because of the game structure.

Ice is right.

It's like Borderlands, it was announced back in 07 and came out this year.

Fair enough. I don't really know an awful lot about the marketing of video games, I guess. :lol:

My recent Timmverse Renaissance (Conroy is so awesome...) combined with this trailer has made me want to play Arkham Asylum again. :)

The Dark knight sequel is meant to be 2011 or 2012 right? I think that's when this will released liked the last one was around Dark knight time (give or take a few months)

The Dark knight sequel is meant to be 2011 or 2012 right? I think that's when this will released liked the last one was around Dark knight time (give or take a few months)

The last one was released more than a year after The Dark Knight. :?

I'd prefer if they released it on its own, again independent of any other big release. Part of what made the anticipation for the first game so great was that it was the 'big' Batman related thing of the Summer. I wouldn't want it to be eclipsed by a movie sequel.

Plus, there's no guarantee at all that there's even going to be a TDK sequel at this point.

The last one was released more than a year after The Dark Knight. :?

I'd prefer if they released it on its own, again independent of any other big release. Part of what made the anticipation for the first game so great was that it was the 'big' Batman related thing of the Summer. I wouldn't want it to be eclipsed by a movie sequel.

True but it came out August and Dark knight dvd was like Dec 2008 But they started really hyping game around that time. Honestly I thought it was intentional as it was a batman game with joker hyped up around dark knight dvd time as if it was cashing in.

Sorry.

Plus, there's no guarantee at all that there's even going to be a TDK sequel at this point.

No guarantee? There kinda is WB say how much it made they will make a sequel.

It's guaranteed that there will be another Batman film, certainly. There is no guarantee that there will be another Batman film by Christopher Nolan set in the world he has created (read: a sequel to "The Dark Knight"). Christian Bale, Michael Caine and several others have all said this. It's not "a question of money" (which is inevitably what you are about to say).

Last edited:

I believe the current situation is that Nolan agreed to make a third Batman if they let him make Inception.

I believe the current situation is that Nolan agreed to make a third Batman if they let him make Inception.

That's just an unconfirmed rumour. Nolan stated that he wanted to make a smaller film afterwards, yes, but this business of him "definitely" coming back for Batman 3 is not official in the slightest.

This is the only thing close to a "guarantee" of a third film:

Charles Roven said:
"Right now even though I'm the producer of THE DARK KNIGHT I'm kind of like everybody. I'm waiting to see what Chris [Nolan] and David Goyer come up with and if they come up and decide if there is something worthy of making another iteration of Batman [on film]. The most important thing right now like we did with the last one is that we want to make sure there is a reason to make it. In other words feel like we can do something different than we had done before. We felt we had accomplished that. If we find that again, then I think we'll come back to the floor. If we don't, I don't know what we'll do."

It's guaranteed that there will be another Batman film, certainly. There is no guarantee that there will be another Batman film by Christopher Nolan set in the world he has created (read: a sequel to "The Dark Knight"). Christian Bale, Michael Caine and several others have all said this. It's not "a question of money" (which is inevitably what you are about to say).

Yes there is. WB wants another one and even if they drop Nolan and get someone else it'll still be based in that world like it or not.

True but it came out August and Dark knight dvd was like Dec 2008 But they started really hyping game around that time. Honestly I thought it was intentional as it was a batman game with joker hyped up around dark knight dvd time as if it was cashing in.

Sorry.

from December to August is still a long way away.

Last edited:

from December to August is still a long way away.

Agreed but like i said around December they started hyping the game as i remember seeing a few videos on game trailers and ign like the week i bought the dvd. But might just be a coincidence. It's cool.

I think of the most coveted special features or rewards you could have in a Batman game is once you beat the game....

Unlockable costumes/characters!

I mean, imagine being able to play thru Arkham Asylum again as Nightwing, Robin or even Batgirl! And it'd nice to have the game recognize that the character isn't Batman, so the villains will respond accordingly. Once you solve a riddle as Robin, the Riddler would mock "It took you THAT long to figure it out? Your Bat-Boss wouldn't have taken that long!"

And maybe different Batman costumes. A Nolanverse Dark Knight, a Burton Batman costume, classic Jim Lee grey costume, Batman Beyond, etc.

You could keep the cutscenes with the standard costume portrayed in the original runthrough (ala God of War). But when playing thru the game, how hard is it to change the skin of the character? It's what made the Spider-Man game for the original Playstation so great. Who didn't love playing as Scarlet Spider or Spider-Man 2099? It's a simple cheap reward.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back