Batman: Arkham City (spoilers!)

Re: Arkham Asylum Sequel.

I think of the most coveted special features or rewards you could have in a Batman game is once you beat the game....

Unlockable costumes/characters!

I mean, imagine being able to play thru Arkham Asylum again as Nightwing, Robin or even Batgirl! And it'd nice to have the game recognize that the character isn't Batman, so the villains will respond accordingly. Once you solve a riddle as Robin, the Riddler would mock "It took you THAT long to figure it out? Your Bat-Boss wouldn't have taken that long!"

And maybe different Batman costumes. A Nolanverse Dark Knight, a Burton Batman costume, classic Jim Lee grey costume, Batman Beyond, etc.

You could keep the cutscenes with the standard costume portrayed in the original runthrough (ala God of War). But when playing thru the game, how hard is it to change the skin of the character? It's what made the Spider-Man game for the original Playstation so great. Who didn't love playing as Scarlet Spider or Spider-Man 2099? It's a simple cheap reward.

YES! I loved that game!

Remember how soon a Left 4 Dead 2 came out after the first one? With a game like BM:AA, that was delayed so many times, developers probably took it as an excuse to do more work for the future, too. This teaser could've been something that played at the end of the last game but they saved it to build the hype up for the second. You know they wanted to put in more villains and I think they will in this sequel.

I think of the most coveted special features or rewards you could have in a Batman game is once you beat the game....

I mean, imagine being able to play thru Arkham Asylum again as Nightwing, Robin or even Batgirl! And it'd nice to have the game recognize that the character isn't Batman, so the villains will respond accordingly. Once you solve a riddle as Robin, the Riddler would mock "It took you THAT long to figure it out? Your Bat-Boss wouldn't have taken that long!"

And maybe different Batman costumes. A Nolanverse Dark Knight, a Burton Batman costume, classic Jim Lee grey costume, Batman Beyond, etc.

You could keep the cutscenes with the standard costume portrayed in the original runthrough (ala God of War). But when playing thru the game, how hard is it to change the skin of the character? It's what made the Spider-Man game for the original Playstation so great. Who didn't love playing as Scarlet Spider or Spider-Man 2099? It's a simple cheap reward.

Check out the thread for the first game. We had a big talk about this. The people who have the PC version actually do get to use alternate costumes because of modding and there are links to some AWESOME ones(the Dark Knight suit especially).

But the alternate costume I always want most for any superhero game is the "secret identity" costume. Playing Spidey 1 as Peter Parker kicked ass. Fighting 26 goons as Bruce Wayne in a leather jacket and jeans would be so incredibly fun.

The only actualy alternate suit this game came with is an advanced suit of armour, which was admittedly very cool.

I wish more alternate costumes worked like Spider-man the movie. Don't get me wrong I loved playing psone spidey and still do. But the movie alternate costume was awesome. I refer to of course the Alex Ross costume. Having that on when you faced Green Goblin it became the Alex Ross Green Goblin.

that was on ps2, xbox , NGC days. Now we are on ps3, 360 and wii days surely we can do this more. So let's say for example the costumes Doom mentioned. A Dark Knight costume - More Dark Knight looking joker. Burton Batman - Burton Joker. Classic batman - Classic Joker.

Why can this not happen?

Also speaking of Spider-man on psone. You know what code I loved? What if mode. Yes it made only slight changes but it made replaying it more fun. Why can't batman games have a Elseworlds mode or something so when you replay some things are different

Most games now-a-days can have the alternate costumes in the cutscenes like Assassin's Creed 2.

I still want a No Man's Land game. Imagine having to deal with keeping your territories under your control constantly and making alliances with various leaders.

No Man's Land would be great for a videogame, but I really dislike the idea of the story itself, probably too much to enjoy it. I'd rather just have the same thing going on with normal Gotham, which is plausible(and what this game could easily be anyway).

Just a digression, I can't WAIT to get Assassin's Creed 2 just so that I can customize his costume.

Most games now-a-days can have the alternate costumes in the cutscenes like Assassin's Creed 2.

I haven't play assassin's creed yet but that's happen before and it;s when they use the in game character for the cutscenes. As appose to a full cgi cutscene, which is basically a video and you can't change it, the only way to have that would be to have another video made with the costume and switch off.

I'm trying to think of a game that uses in game caharcters. I recall Sonic Adventures 1, when you get a new upgrade you'll see it even if you replay a level or whatever. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King had that cut in with the film footage. I remember if you charged you weapon before the cutscene starts you can see it still in flames.

In the Dark Knight I believe they did not use in game characters for most of the cutscenes. Though I can't be sure.

For most of the basic, dialogue cutscenes involving Batman in Arkham Asylum, they did indeed use in-game characters. It was only for the big movie-clip sequences that they didn't. This is why (if memory serves) modders think Joker mods are pointless (because there's only a few scattered bits throughout the game where you see him 'in-game' and would see him wearing an alternate costume). The same goes for Gary Oldman-as-Gordon mods.

I just finished the first one. I just want to say that I think the game was incredible... It definitely sets the bar for not only Batman games to come but comic book hero games to come to. It was so loyal to the source material... Everything was so well considered. Not only was there an interesting story (although, nothing too in depth... it's a video game, after all) but the character of Batman made a great video game hero. With all his gadgets and everything... I thought they were pretty successful at keeping the game diverse for the most part, although I would've liked to have seen a more creative ending. My thumbs and hands were sore as hell beating up all those thugs...

The most disappointing thing, for me was the length (that's what she said...), but I'm glad that the sequel was announced because I won't have to wait long for another go (that's what she said...). haha. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what villains they use for the next one. With any luck, we'll stay away from Bane and Ivy because they got the most focus, but I would love for Croc and Scarecrow to be back. And I would like to see Clayface, too. He was only in the game for a split second as other characters but seeing him was so damn cool. Should be cool to see what is new in the second one... I do hope they change the combo system a little bit... I thought at times it got annoying when Batman was still in the midst of a combo when I wanted him to get the hell outta the way of a roid rager dude that was charging at me.

I do hope they change the combo system a little bit... I thought at times it got annoying when Batman was still in the midst of a combo when I wanted him to get the hell outta the way of a roid rager dude that was charging at me.

Play the combat challenges. Get three-bats in each of them.

You will take what you have just said, back. The combat in this game is masterful.

Last edited:

Eh, I have played it. It's ok, but it's not the greatest. I just thought that in the game, it could have been done better especially when you are panicking to stay out of the way of things that'll hurt you.

Eh, I have played it. It's ok, but it's not the greatest. I just thought that in the game, it could have been done better especially when you are panicking to stay out of the way of things that'll hurt you.

Believe me, I felt the exact same way up until I started seriously getting into the combat challenges. When you hone your skills with the combat system, after a while, you begin to realise how great it really is.

Believe me, I felt the exact same way up until I started seriously getting into the combat challenges. When you hone your skills with the combat system, after a while, you begin to realise how great it really is.

Same here. I already loved the combat, but once I learned about critical hits, it made me feel even more bad ass in the game play.

Same here. I already loved the combat, but once I learned about critical hits, it made me feel even more bad ass in the game play.

For me, it was more about learning how powerful you can get when you string your combos together and don't get hit. For example, usually, when you throw a batarang, it stuns one guy for a second. However, if you throw a batarang during a combo of more than x3 (or so), Batman throws three and it knocks three bad guys down onto the ground and reduces their health.

They basically hit the nail on the head in terms of everything I want to see, except for the 'more heroes' part. This version of Batman doesn't need to be muddied up by cameos and team-ups with other heroes. As Planet-Man put it, it should remain about "One Man, against the Madness."

Although I know that if these games continue to be brilliant and successful that other heroes showing up is an inevitability.

Latest posts

Back