Batman: Arkham City (spoilers!)

Re: Batman: Arkham City

So apparently the Catwoman missions need to be activated with a code that comes with new copies of the game rather than just being part of the story. They're integrated into the game if you enter the code before starting but are main menu options otherwise.

Just a head's up to anyone who might think of buying it used.

So apparently the Catwoman missions need to be activated with a code that comes with new copies of the game rather than just being part of the story. They're integrated into the game if you enter the code before starting but are main menu options otherwise.

Just a head's up to anyone who might think of buying it used.

Normally, I'm kind to DLC as long as the content is good. This...is a really dumb idea, considering how prominent Catwoman was in advertising.

I'm curious as to what the reason for that is. I've heard that the game opens differently without the Catwoman code, with
Bruce Wayne getting arrested for protesting Arkham City
, which sounds very interesting, but it sounds like they had more then one idea for how to set up the story, couldn't pick just one, so they decided to have the cake and eat too, as it were.

Apparently
Hush
is in this game too.

Normally, I'm kind to DLC as long as the content is good. This...is a really dumb idea, considering how prominent Catwoman was in advertising.

I'm curious as to what the reason for that is. I've heard that the game opens differently without the Catwoman code, with
, which sounds very interesting, but it sounds like they had more then one idea for how to set up the story, couldn't pick just one, so they decided to have the cake and eat too, as it were.

The IGN review said the introduction is altered depending on whether or not you have the Catwoman content installed.

Well, I can see why they're doing that, since buying games used means a loss of profits for the developers. It's actually something we'll likely be starting to see more of from the industry.

Gamestop are offering the Catwoman code to people who buy a preowned copy of the game for free and other stores are charging another $10 for another code.

Everyone in Australia is currently playing this game except for me because I ordered it from the UK. :(

So apparently I was wrong about this. My bad.

Also, mods, could we please add spoilers to the thread title? I watched the ending online, and we are going to need it.

Quick question for those who already have the game (my copy won't be here till late this week or early next): concerning the Catwoman code, once the DLC is downloaded, I won't need to be connected to the internet to play it will I? My friend told me the "online pass" will only work while connected to Xbox Live/internet connection, instead of just downloading the content onto your hard drive and being able to play it while offline (like I do with ALL my Xbox DLC, since I don't have internet at home, I usually bring my Xbox to my buddy's house to download the content, then play it at home). According to my friend, the "online pass" means you'll have to be connected the whole time, to get an authentification from the Xbox server or whatever.

For those who have the game, is this true?

I just beat
Solomon Grundy
, the fight was a little too "by the numbers", like the Bane fight from Arkham Asylum. With that said, I'm having far too much fun playing it. Also
Talia al Ghūl
is seriously hot.

Edit: oh and DIB, not sure 100%, but I do not believe you have to be connected. Once you download it's on your system drive. (Since I'm playing on the PS3, I can't be 100% certain).

Last edited:

I just beat
Solomon Grundy
, the fight was a little too "by the numbers", like the Bane fight from Arkham Asylum.

Meh, I'm still happy he's in it. Love that guy.

With that said, I'm having far too much fun playing it. Also
Talia al Ghūl
is seriously hot.

Agreed.

Edit: oh and DIB, not sure 100%, but I do not believe you have to be connected. Once you download it's on your system drive. (Since I'm playing on the PS3, I can't be 100% certain).

Nice, ok, thanks.

Re: Arkham Asylum Sequel.

While I've gotten out of the habit of collecting action figures, after seeing pics of these and the existing Arkham Asylum figures, I'm definitely going to pick these up. So nice.

Batman - Arkham City Action Figures by DC Direct (from NYCC)

I'm in love with that Riddler sculpt. Damn these are amazing.

I have the Batman and Joker from Arkam Asylum and they're phenomenal. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on these.

So I guess some people find certain elements of the game sexist as all get out.

For the record, I largely don't agree with these claims (I do think context is everything, and the context of the game allows for what this person takes issue with), but it seems to be resonating with a number of people so it's probably worth discussing.

Last edited:

For the record, I largely don't agree with these claims (I do think context is everything, and the context of the game allows for what this person takes issue with), but it seems to be resonating with a number of people so it's probably worth discussing.

It's only resonating because there are people looking to actively find anything they find offensive. We all do it to a point. So after reading one of the worst crafted blog entries ever (posting stuff from DC v Mortal Kombat, getting called on it and refusing to change it), this person is so convinced of the sexist content, they can't be reasoned with. I'm generally sensitive to "sexism" but I'm not seeing it, criminals call each other *****es, let alone women.

I also get it, that people can't understand the context of Selina owning and using her sexuality as a tool, the argument of sexism/misogyny has already popped up in regards to the comic.

The Article said:
TO REITERATE: IN THE FIRST HOUR OF ARKHAM CITY WE HAVE A SCANTILLY CLAD HIGH-HEAL-NINJA-ING CATWOMAN GETTING BEATEN BY TWO-FACE AS HE CALLS HER A *****. WE HAVE A GROUP OF MUSCLE-BOUND HOODLUMS ALL STANDING AROUND EXCITED TO DUMP HER INTO A VAT OF ACID. BATMAN COMES TO THE RESCUE AS CATWOMAN ESCAPES. SHE FLIRTS WITH HIM MERCILESSLY AND MAKES NOT JUST DUMB, BUT NOT-FUN SEXY PUNS. BATMAN THEN GOES OUTSIDE AND YOU OVERHEAR A BUNCH OF GUYS TALKING ABOUT HOW CATWOMAN AND AGAIN THE WORD ***** POPS IN. THEY ALL THINK SHE SWINGS BOTH WAYS (CAUSE THAT'S THE KIND OF THING ANY SEXY GIRL MUST BE UP FOR). AND THEN THEY'RE BASICALLY TALKING ABOUT THEIR MASTURBATORY FANTASIES OF HER… YOU KNOW, ABOUT THE SAME ONE THEY WERE CALLING A *****. BATMAN THEN GOES OVER TOWARD THE JOKER'S TOWER AND YOU HOPE ALL THIS **** IS OVER BUT THEN YOU OVERHEAR A BUNCH OF THUGS TALKING ABOUT HOW HARLEY QUINN IS A DUMB *****.

You pretty much nailed it in terms of the context. Considering the game is set in a city-sized maximum prison for the most hardcore and insane criminals in Gotham, expecting them NOT to sexualize or demean a female who intimidates them (cuz lets be honest, Catwoman can kick their asses) or is outside of such criminials' limited scope of what "should be" is just retarded. I'm sorry, but this article was not only unnecessary, but a perfect example of someone looking for something to ***** over for the sake of *****ing. Nevermind the fact that Catwoman is portrayed as being on equal footing as Batman in terms of both combat capabilities and survival abilities (being a scantily-clad woman in Arkham City takes more balls than any male has) in Arkham.

It's only resonating because there are people looking to actively find anything they find offensive. We all do it to a point. So after reading one of the worst crafted blog entries ever (posting stuff from DC v Mortal Kombat, getting called on it and refusing to change it), this person is so convinced of the sexist content, they can't be reasoned with. I'm generally sensitive to "sexism" but I'm not seeing it, criminals call each other *****es, let alone women.

I also get it, that people can't understand the context of Selina owning and using her sexuality as a tool, the argument of sexism/misogyny has already popped up in regards to the comic.

Very good point.

Oh, how I adore the innocent-minded gp and their short-sighted ideals. yes they're criminals. yes they demean anything they find remotely threatening, attractive or valuable. Against what stereotype are these criminals being wrongly portrayed?

Note that it's always the criminals and overall moronic thugs of Arkham City who refer to Catwoman, Harley, Ivy or anyone else in the derogatory terms and such. This may not excuse it but in a prison system that is literally filled with thousands of men aside from Harley and Ivy this is going to be how they talk. The game even makes note of this in Catwoman's missions when in her final side mission against Two-Face she beats him all to Hell and practically tells him he's a simple minded moron for calling her a ***** constantly. (cleary these parts weren't played by this reviewer who for some reason thinks he's the Hulk and has to type in all caps which is infuriating in itself)

While Arkham City has its fair share of the Male Gaze and is rife with derogatory comments the female characters are largely the most positive and powerful ones in the game aside from Batman himself. Catwoman, Talia, Vicky Vale, Oracle and even to an extent Poison Ivy (though she's not featured for very long) are all pretty strong characters and don't have any "sexist" overtones other than Catwoman and Ivy like to dress a little openly which has always been in their characters. Harley is really the only "negative" female character in this but that comes more out of her psychosis for the Joker opposed to her being a woman.

So did anyone download any of the free music from the album they're coming out for this?

Here the tracks: (I highlighted the free ones)

1. "Mercenary" Panic! at the Disco
2. "Deranged" Coheed and Cambria
3. "Creature" The Duke Spirit
4. "Shadow On The Run" Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
5. "Afterdark" Blaqk Audio
6. "Oh, Stranger" The Raveonettes
7. "The Years" † † † (Crosses)
8. "Trophy Widow" The Damned Things
9. "Drown In You" Daughtry
10. "Losing You" The Boxer Rebellion
11. "Total Paranoia" Serj Tankian

Latest posts