Batman Begins (Movie spoilers)

Re: Batman Begins (Movie spoilers).

I totally understand why people razz on Maggie Gyllenhaal and her granny looks, but she was totally hot in Cecil B. Demented.

*slap*

"SATAN SAYS YOU NEED MORE COLOR!"

I just didn't like the movie at all.

The only reason it's better than Superman Returns is because Batman doesn't lift anything in it.

It bears repeating.
I thought it was weird to repeat it when nobody was really defending the movie anymore and just picking nits --- the nit in question being Holmes and Gyllenhaal --- regardless of whether they liked it or not.

I thought it was weird to repeat it when nobody was really defending the movie anymore and just picking nits --- the nit in question being Holmes and Gyllenhaal --- regardless of whether they liked it or not.

I hope this movie burns in hell!

The only reason it's better than Superman Returns is because Batman doesn't lift anything in it.

You said it was alright earlier on.

I've come to accept the fact that when someone dislikes Batman Begins, it's pretty much pointless to talk to them about movies in any sense, because I'm just going to have completely polar opposite opinions with them about most films.

Batman Begins is arguably the most epic, grandest, darkest superhero film of them all. The only thing it's really missing out on is an effective romance, but Batman has never made a convincing heart-throb, so there's not really any surprise there.

The only thing it's really missing out on is an effective romance, but Batman has never made a convincing heart-throb, so there's not really any surprise there.
I disagree.

The funny thing about this movie, is that it HARDLY makes the list of 'my favorite movies of all time'.

It's nowhere close to being on it. But it's also such a well made film at least as far as superhero movies go, simply because it actually gave a very legitimate reason why the hero doesn't get the girl beyond the tortured 'I don't want to endanger her she can never know my secret my world is much too much for her' spiel.

In Spider-Man, Maguire-Parker walks away saying, "I will always be your friend." And I'm like "what's wrong with you?!?" He's crippled with self-loathing emo and therefore can't muster the nerve to get with the girl.

It's a legitimate character trait, don't get me wrong, but I'm still wanting him to have to the balls to take Mary Jane then and there --- Kirsten Dunst granny-face notwithstanding.

In Begins, Bale-Wayne doesn't get the girl, simply because a romance that sees them be together would be wrong. Holmes-Dawes spitting on his selfish demeanor and telling him he's better than being a solipsistic twit is a minor contribution to him becoming Batman.

And when they are inevitable not allowed by the contrivances of superhero storytelling to NOT be together, it's not because the hero is an emo twit, but because Dawes makes the conclusion that he is no longer the man she fell in love with.

Better still, she concludes that he is better than that man.

Seriously, it's like a really great break up.

I disagree.

The funny thing about this movie, is that it HARDLY makes the list of 'my favorite movies of all time'.

It's nowhere close to being on it. But it's also such a well made film at least as far as superhero movies go, simply because it actually gave a very legitimate reason why the hero doesn't get the girl beyond the tortured 'I don't want to endanger her she can never know my secret my world is much too much for her' spiel.

In Spider-Man, Maguire-Parker walks away saying, "I will always be your friend." And I'm like "what's wrong with you?!?" He's crippled with self-loathing emo and therefore can't muster the nerve to get with the girl.

It's a legitimate character trait, don't get me wrong, but I'm still wanting him to have to the balls to take Mary Jane then and there --- Kirsten Dunst granny-face notwithstanding.

In Begins, Bale-Wayne doesn't get the girl, simply because a romance that sees them be together would be wrong. Holmes-Dawes spitting on his selfish demeanor and telling him he's better than being a solipsistic twit is a minor contribution to him becoming Batman.

And when they are inevitable not allowed by the contrivances of superhero storytelling to NOT be together, it's not because the hero is an emo twit, but because Dawes makes the conclusion that he is no longer the man she fell in love with.

Better still, she concludes that he is better than that man.

Seriously, it's like a really great break up.

That is a good point, but I'd rather they would have just dropped the whole romantic notion and just had them be good friends, what's wrong with just that?

I agree with the person that said that Batman doesn't make an effective romantic character, in most of the movies he's in (with an exception being Mask of the Phantasm). I think he's a bit too obsessed with fighting crime to be worrying about dating or what have you.

And I can't understand how someone can dislike Begins, especially in comparison to the other comic book adaptations that have been released in recent years.

That is a good point, but I'd rather they would have just dropped the whole romantic notion and just had them be good friends, what's wrong with just that?
There was no romance, technically.

Any romance that was going to be there from the roots of their childhood, pretty much died before it could even happen.

The result? Nothing but barely existent pining from Rachel Dawes end.

I think it's genius that they had all the groundwork for a romance --- "hey! it's that cute girl you knew from way back when!" --- but sidelined it.

And it wasn't sidelined because 'they ran out of time to explore it' or 'became less important than the larger plot'.

It was sidelined because it HAD to be sidelined. Just like Bruce sidelines everything else to be Batman.

What I pretty much like about Batman Begins is that it focuses on a largely ignored aspect of Batman: the man who transcends the things that made him.

I remember way back when reading an article about Batman that says that he's many things, that indicate that he's much bigger than the influences that make him.

For one thing, part of Batman is a child's wish fulfillment. "I will not be afraid. I will be bigger and scarier than they are. I will never be afraid. Never again." Another part of him began as the completely selfish pursuit of vengeance. "Crime took my parents. I will make crime pay."

In Batman according to Batman Begins, Wayne transcends the two influences that made him: His first influence --- the death of his parents at the hand of crime --- made him see things as an eye for an eye. Punish crime and hope to God that crime learns.

The second influence --- an elitist philosophy of The Better Men --- taught him that crime is a symptom of a flawed society. The solution is to purge the world of it through genocide. Purification is the duty of the better man.

The final Batman is the one who transcends wish fulfillment, elitism and revenge by concluding that the only way to fight crime is to fight it like a criminal. By concluding that the duty of Better Men is to take the vast resources at their disposal to better Gotham, and endeavor to make that city one of the world's finest.

The Batman is the one who proves he is better than both philosophies.

Saw BATMAN BEGINS again yesterday.

I enjoyed it a lot more this time but... it's not a bad film. There's nothing wrong with it.

But I just find it a bit boring and very bland.

But there's nothing wrong with it and everyone loves it - so I'm confuzzled.

Latest posts

Back