Batman, Inc. (spoilers)

Re: Batman, Inc.

Their leader, meanwhile, gets that little yellow circle back on his costume.

:-(

Ah whatever, I'll get over it. It's annoying though how this new costume is basically the exact same as the Frank Quitely one. Shouldn't there be a more distinct differentiation between the two?

Other than that, I agree an awful lot with most of what he says. I like his idea that Batman by definition prevented himself from going insane by being Batman, rather than the other way around, which is what so many writers just didn't get, post-Miller. Nolan certainly understood that in his two movies as well. I'm not really on the same page with him in terms of wanting to see all of these fantastical elements, though, but to each his own.

Last edited:

Morrison's Batman stuff is the best superhero comics at the moment so I am glad it is continuing.

Grant Morrison really is the king of awesome ideas that would sound kind of dumb if anyone else was doing them. I am excited for this, and for the implication that Morrison will continue writing Batman into the foreseeable future.

Meh, I'm not too excited. I'll have to see where it goes but the branding thing doesn't feel right.

Most people seem to be so cynical about this, and I guess I can understand why; it's a betrayal of (or, at least, step away from) the most popular narrative motifs from the last 30 years of Batman. On the other hand, I was getting pretty bored with Batman's status quo, as is. Morrison shaking things up for the last few years has been universally a good thing, and he's dealt well thematically with memetics and brand-association before. Batman is an old character, with a long, diverse history and this just seems to be an update that's most fitting with contemporary trends in superhero comics. I'm down with it.

Batman%20Inc_1.jpg

That's a very nice version of the costume. I didn't like it when it was drawn by David Finch (original post), but this makes it look cool.

Most people seem to be so cynical about this, and I guess I can understand why; it's a betrayal of (or, at least, step away from) the most popular narrative motifs from the last 30 years of Batman. On the other hand, I was getting pretty bored with Batman's status quo, as is. Morrison shaking things up for the last few years has been universally a good thing, and he's dealt well thematically with memetics and brand-association before. Batman is an old character, with a long, diverse history and this just seems to be an update that's most fitting with contemporary trends in superhero comics. I'm down with it.

I agree for the most part. We've seen enough traditional Batman stories, at least for now, and I think this is an intriguing idea that kind of expands on the Club of Heroes concept.

Last edited:

Batman, are you wearing a codpiece?

I hadn't even thought of it from the memetics/branding perspective, which is something that Morrison is pretty deeply knowledgeable about. This idea suddenly seems even more "him" than it did before.

Last edited:
I wish we had more discussion on the series once it was out. I had a hard time with it (I do with pretty much every Grant Morrison work I've ever read, though) and I've only read through it once, and it wasn't quite as gripping what came before it (at least in my first read-through) so my feelings on it aren't as strong as what happened on through Batman &Robin #16 or so. But at the same time I realize it was beginning a new direction for the character.

That said, I just read Batman, Inc.: Leviathan Strikes which serves as a cap to Batman, Inc. (which picks up again later this year). It's a beast - about 70 pages - and serves as a great closing point for the first part of the book.

I'm on the TCB app and don't want to say too much because I don't have access to the spoiler tag. Did anyone else read it?

Yes. Much like you, I find it difficult to discuss Grant Morrison comics after reading them in a monthly format (or annually, as seems to be the case for Batman Inc.). I don't really remember anything about Leviathan Strikes except it was certainly better than Action Comics currently is.

I'm actually looking forward to his Batman run finishing just so I can read it all together from beginning to end.

I actually read it all the way through for the first time right after Leviathan Strikes came out.

It was good... Better than any of the Batman books on stands right now, though not quite as good as Snyder's 'Tec run or Morrison's earlier Batman stuff.

It didn't seem to have quite the same density as his run on Batman did but it still held together nicely. And the reveal wasn't as satisfactory as, say, the reveal of Jezebel Jet or the Gravedigger, but it's a little different in this case since the reveal is going to lead into another series of stories featuring Talia as antagonist.

:D I knew Lord Death Man being imprisoned in space would turn out to be a huge element at the end. It's becoming easy to predict Grant's formula for Batman arcs, but it's still good stuff.

Yes. Much like you, I find it difficult to discuss Grant Morrison comics after reading them in a monthly format (or annually, as seems to be the case for Batman Inc.). I don't really remember anything about Leviathan Strikes except it was certainly better than Action Comics currently is.

I'm actually looking forward to his Batman run finishing just so I can read it all together from beginning to end.

I think this being the close of the first "chapter" of his Batman run it is a good place to do just that.

Everything up through Batman & Robin 16 (or thereabouts) is still pretty fresh on my mind. I think I need to just re-read all of Batman Inc.

The new #1 is out today. It is brilliant.

Bat-Cow.

This already seems more focused than the first volume (or series, however they are separating them). Damien is such a great character, especially when written by Grant Morrison. The bit with him asking Bruce why he bothered coming back because they were doing just fine without him...great stuff.

I love how Damien compliments Dick when he's not around. Around Dick he mouths off and is disrespectful, but behind his back he's just great (he did this to Talia in Batman & Robin too). The immaturity is just so well done.

The new #1 is out today. It is brilliant.

Bat-Cow.

This already seems more focused than the first volume (or series, however they are separating them). Damien is such a great character, especially when written by Grant Morrison. The bit with him asking Bruce why he bothered coming back because they were doing just fine without him...great stuff.

I love how Damien compliments Dick when he's not around. Around Dick he mouths off and is disrespectful, but behind his back he's just great (he did this to Talia in Batman & Robin too). The immaturity is just so well done.

Bat-Cow is the breakout character of 2012. I love how it looks like she has a mask.

Latest posts

Back