Batman: Strange Days Animated short by Bruce Timm

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Bruce Timm returns to Batman!

DC Entertainment Debuts New BRUCE TIMM BATMAN Animated Short Images

Debuting April 9, 2014 alongside the new episode of Teen Titans Go!, the short features Batman going up against Dr. Hugo Strange.

"A brand new short from producer Bruce Timm featuring a lost tale from Batman's past, the Dark Knight tracks a strange giant to the mysterious lair of Dr. Hugo Strange."

Batman_Strange_Days_Still03.jpg

BatmanStrangeDays_Still01.jpg

Bruce Timm returns to Batman! DC Entertainment Debuts New BRUCE TIMM BATMAN Animated Short Images Debuting April 9, 2014 alongside the new episode of Teen Titans Go!, the short features Batman going up against Dr. Hugo Strange. "A brand new short from producer Bruce Timm featuring a lost tale from Batman’s past, the Dark Knight tracks a strange giant to the mysterious lair of Dr. Hugo Strange."

Nice!

Wonder if this falls into the DC Animated Universe continuity, or is its own thing. Cool either way, but I'd love if it was a DCAU tale.

Nice!

Wonder if this falls into the DC Animated Universe continuity, or is its own thing. Cool either way, but I'd love if it was a DCAU tale.

That's what I was thinking. Just cause Timm is connected doesn't mean much (see Green Lantern The Animated Series, and tons of the animated movies) BUT It looks like the same character model for Bats, and Hugo Strange.

That's what I was thinking. Just cause Timm is connected doesn't mean much (see Green Lantern The Animated Series, and tons of the animated movies) BUT It looks like the same character model for Bats, and Hugo Strange.

Oh I know, that's why I'm not assuming anything. Even Superman - Brainiac Attacks, which uses the same character designs and a lot of the same voice actors isn't canon, so I don't presume anything unless it's explicitly stated it is canon.

I think it's a safe bet to assume it's NOT in canon. The last episode of season 2 of JLU (or season 4 of Justice League, depending on how you look at it) was entitled Epilogue and was supposed to be the series finale but WB ordered another season. That episode wraps everything up really well for the universe.

I think it's a safe bet to assume it's NOT in canon. The last episode of season 2 of JLU (or season 4 of Justice League, depending on how you look at it) was entitled Epilogue and was supposed to be the series finale but WB ordered another season. That episode wraps everything up really well for the universe.

I don't see why that precludes this being canon. We're talking about a short story, probably fifteen minutes tops, set in the distant past. There's no reason it couldn't be wedged into continuity, but by the same token, there's no reason it has to be. But honestly, I think that's all academic. We're talking about a short animation that may or may not be tied in to a succession of shows that ended well over a decade ago and which were mostly episodic. It's unlikely that, if it is canon, there will be anything that changes the narrative of the DCAU. It's highly likely that, if it isn't canon, you could still squint and reconcile it easily with BtAS. It strikes me as one of those things that's highly irrelevant. If you think it matches the tone and heart of the series, make it part of your canon. If it doesn't, then don't. But it strikes me as highly likely that a viewer could swing either way on it without straining too hard.

I don't see why that precludes this being canon. We're talking about a short story, probably fifteen minutes tops, set in the distant past. There's no reason it couldn't be wedged into continuity, but by the same token, there's no reason it has to be. But honestly, I think that's all academic. We're talking about a short animation that may or may not be tied in to a succession of shows that ended well over a decade ago and which were mostly episodic. It's unlikely that, if it is canon, there will be anything that changes the narrative of the DCAU. It's highly likely that, if it isn't canon, you could still squint and reconcile it easily with BtAS. It strikes me as one of those things that's highly irrelevant. If you think it matches the tone and heart of the series, make it part of your canon. If it doesn't, then don't. But it strikes me as highly likely that a viewer could swing either way on it without straining too hard.

I didn't say it couldn't be canon, just that Timm seems to be done with the DCAU. And actually intended to be done a season before he was allowed to be.

I know, but it's possible (and even likely, if Strange Days is DCAU canon) that this new short film occurs sometime after Batman's first meeting with Hugo Strange (which happened in Season 1 or 2 of Batman-TAS if I recall correctly) and before the ending of JLU. Of course, it could even occur after JLU (but before the time jumps shown in the Epilogue episode).

I didn't say it couldn't be canon, just that Timm seems to be done with the DCAU. And actually intended to be done a season before he was allowed to be.

This is the main reason I think it's probably not canon to the DCAU.

Last edited:
The short in its entirety:

[video=youtube;IFwOS2R9o_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IFwOS2R9o_8[/video]

Latest posts

Back