Bendis Marking his Territory?

Zombipanda

My Boom-Boom's mostly gay
So, Christ. I was reading through the Warriors arc earlier today, and I'm pretty sure that Bendis has now Ultimized every character in the mainstream Spider-Man universe. Yes. I mean every character, including any unnamed extras. The arcs started off fairly slowly. Not too much happening. One villain, maybe two, but it seems like each arc is exponentially growing. Green Goblin, Doc Oc, Kingpin, The Enforcers, Electro, Kraven, Shocker, Gladiator, Gwen Stacey, Carnage, Venom, Sandman, Beetle, Silver Sable, Black Cat, Elektra, Lizard, Punisher, Vulture, Tinkerer. Oh, and then we get the Warriors. Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Hammerhead. And for good measure, let's throw in Deadpool and Omega Red. Did they ever even fight Spider? And we're getting Scorpion and Morbius in just a few more issues. 100 comic books and we've basically run his rogue's gallery dry.

Yep. By my calculations, all we've got left is Big Wheel and Morlun. Bendis is going to have to start stretching the arcs out so the main universe has time to introduce new characters for him to ultimize.

Maybe it's an exaggeration. Most of these characters just got one character shots, which means they're open to plenty of expansion. My question is, why is he throwing in all these one shot characters? Surely they'll be expanded later, but it feels like Bendis just has to get his hands on every single character before his run on USM ends.

What is this man's obsession?

I am almost suspecting him of having a contract that says he'll get money if any characters he ultimize is used later on in the ultimate universe.

Earlier on I would have to disagree with you... I thought that up to the Ultimate Sinister Six, Bendis was using the rogue gallery sparingly. Now, we've got odd ball villains cropping up in almost every issue with little or no importance to the plot. Examples that I can think of off the top of my head are Boomerang, Gladiator, and the Ringer. I'm not saying that the Ringer would be a good villain to elaborate on, but I do agree that he should save the more interesting villains (Beetle, the Vulture) for bigger and better things.

Zombipanda said:
Maybe it's an exaggeration. Most of these characters just got one character shots, which means they're open to plenty of expansion. My question is, why is he throwing in all these one shot characters? Surely they'll be expanded later, but it feels like Bendis just has to get his hands on every single character before his run on USM ends.
I know I took a few weeks off, but did I miss a major announcement somewhere?
Goodwill said:
Earlier on I would have to disagree with you... I thought that up to the Ultimate Sinister Six, Bendis was using the rogue gallery sparingly. Now, we've got odd ball villains cropping up in almost every issue with little or no importance to the plot. Examples that I can think of off the top of my head are Boomerang, Gladiator, and the Ringer. I'm not saying that the Ringer would be a good villain to elaborate on, but I do agree that he should save the more interesting villains (Beetle, the Vulture) for bigger and better things.
Beetle can always come back. Vulture too. So far, the only majorly KO'd villain is Doc Ock and he could always escape and build new arms.

Right but as it is, Bendis isn't giving himself all that much room for some of these villains... I'm not saying that they can't be developed it's just that their introductions should at least set the stage for how important they will become in the Ultimate universe.

Goodwill said:
Right but as it is, Bendis isn't giving himself all that much room for some of these villains... I'm not saying that they can't be developed it's just that their introductions should at least set the stage for how important they will become in the Ultimate universe.
Then again, I'd find it amusing if they turned a major villain (Scorpion, for example) into a B/C-lister and vice versa...

my problem is that all these villians are used with 10 months of paarker's life. And yes he should stay with one or two villain an arc now

Random said:
my problem is that all these villians are used with 10 months of paarker's life. And yes he should stay with one or two villain an arc now

I agree, and I would like to see an arc where there is no "villain of the week".

Zombipanda said:
What is this man's obsession?

The guy can't write, so he's just rehashing things that have come before.

I think it would've been brilliant if he came up with NEW Spidey villains every arc, but Geldoff flopped, so he's just ultimising everyone, especially from the 90s, thinking that because they're "crappy" no one will care.

He's ****e. Can't stand him. :(

But welcome Zombipanda! :D

E said:
I agree, and I would like to see an arc where there is no "villain of the week".

That's my biggest "beef" with the book. I usually enjoy it, but it's like we never get to see them again.

Seriously. Usually when he introduces a character he leaves too much to be desired and does not come back to them as promptly as he should... Why not forget Deadpool and revisit Electro or something? The Chameleon?

Goodwill said:
Seriously. Usually when he introduces a character he leaves too much to be desired and does not come back to them as promptly as he should... Why not forget Deadpool and revisit Electro or something? The Chameleon?

Not the least of which because Chameleon, Lizard, etc. are infinitely better than ****ing Deadpool.

Ice said:
That's a toss up for me, but when was Chameleon involved anywhere? :?

He wasn't.

If the whole point of Bendis banging out these ultimizations was to get them out there, well I guess that's all right. The only problem I have is it's like every single day that Peter has someone runnin' through his backyard. I just wish the timeline was stretched a bit more.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The only problem I have is it's like every single day that Peter has someone runnin' through his backyard. I just wish the timeline was stretched a bit more.
Spot on, MWF. Same thoughts with me.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bass.

I have a problem with Peter Parker running into a new villain every other day, but my main problem is, it just feels like he's cutting the Ultimate Universe by the balls. I feel like the whole point of this line is to give writers an opportunity to play with core themes that aren't feasible in the massive runs of the main books.

But the real problem is, Bendis has already set a framework for all of these rogues. He has to recognize that eventually he'll have to step down. Sure, the new writer will have plenty of villains floating around to mess with, but they're still trapped by the parameters Bendis has already set.

No, it's not alright or him to just "get those characters out there" because he's ruining it for whatever team follows him.

Last edited:
Ice said:
That's a toss up for me, but when was Chameleon involved anywhere? :?

I meant generally. 616.

Latest posts

Back