Bendis talks steps on planning Ultimate Clone Saga in Wizard Magazine.

E.Vi.L. said:
None of these supers are derived from the super-serum.

Remember the sequence of the argument?
I was referring rather to Marvel's staff and Millar. They're biased, ergo, there are no female trials of the super-soldier serum.

At any rate... do we think Peter's blood + females = Spider-Woman and Spider-Girl, or what? Another option... Fury finally recreates the process to make a more controllable spider hero.

Last edited:
I hope this isn't a cluster **** of Spider-clones... Spider-Woman included. Like, I hope this has something to it rather than how Peter's blood is abused.

It's just like Eight-Legged Freaks but worse.

I'm not well versed in comic history, so can someone tell me what the original "Clone Saga" was all about.

Oh, and speeking as a person who only reads ultimate titles because they're a bit more realistic than other comics, a female clone of Peter sounds kinda corney...

UltimateJedi said:
I'm not well versed in comic history, so can someone tell me what the original "Clone Saga" was all about.

Crap.

UltimateJedi said:

Oh, and speeking as a person who only reads ultimate titles because they're a bit more realistic than other comics, a female clone of Peter sounds kinda corney...

Its really long and hard to explain...

Hmm...ok well years ago the Jackel created a clone of Spider-Man. The clone fought Spider-Man and in the fight the clone died and Spidey dumped the body down one of those huge chimney things that factorys have (smokestack?)

Anyway, about 20 years later in the real world and 5 years comic time, we find out the clone never died. He had changed his name to Ben Reilly and went on an exile. He returned after Aunt May "died". This is when he ran into the real Spider-Man. Ben Reilly became the Scarlet Spider.
By this time we also have 2 new clones. Kaine (who is deformed, but more powerful) and Spidercide (who died from clone degeneration).
Anyways, at the end of 1995, we find out that Ben Reilly was actually the real Spider-Man all along, and Peter Parker was the clone!
Peter Parker then stopped being Spider-Man and Ben Reilly became Spider-Man, since he was the real Peter Parker. He still kept the name "Ben Reilly" because Peter had already built up a life for himself and was married.
for the entire 1996, Ben Reilly is the real Spider-Man.
During the year there was a subplot where a skeleton was found in the smokestack wearing a Spidey costume. If Ben was real, and this skeleton was the clone, then who was Peter Parker? We find out later that Osborn planted the skeleton just to make things difficult for everyone.
At the end of 96, Norman Osborn returns from the grave and reveals that he interfered with the test results and that Peter Parker IS the real Spider-Man and Ben is the clone. Norman then killed Ben Reilly and Reilly's body degenerated, proving that he was indeed the clone.
Peter Parker then resumed being Spider-Man and all was fine and dandy.
I actually liked the clone saga...

Nurhachi said:

I did too. The parts where stuff happened anyway. I thought it was a smart and interesting concept that was milked waaaaay to far with too many subpar writers.

Nurhachi said:
Its really long and hard to explain...

Hmm...ok well years ago the Jackel created a clone of Spider-Man. The clone fought Spider-Man and in the fight the clone died and Spidey dumped the body down one of those huge chimney things that factorys have (smokestack?)

Anyway, about 20 years later in the real world and 5 years comic time, we find out the clone never died. He had changed his name to Ben Reilly and went on an exile. He returned after Aunt May "died". This is when he ran into the real Spider-Man. Ben Reilly became the Scarlet Spider.
By this time we also have 2 new clones. Kaine (who is deformed, but more powerful) and Spidercide (who died from clone degeneration).
Anyways, at the end of 1995, we find out that Ben Reilly was actually the real Spider-Man all along, and Peter Parker was the clone!
Peter Parker then stopped being Spider-Man and Ben Reilly became Spider-Man, since he was the real Peter Parker. He still kept the name "Ben Reilly" because Peter had already built up a life for himself and was married.
for the entire 1996, Ben Reilly is the real Spider-Man.
During the year there was a subplot where a skeleton was found in the smokestack wearing a Spidey costume. If Ben was real, and this skeleton was the clone, then who was Peter Parker? We find out later that Osborn planted the skeleton just to make things difficult for everyone.
At the end of 96, Norman Osborn returns from the grave and reveals that he interfered with the test results and that Peter Parker IS the real Spider-Man and Ben is the clone. Norman then killed Ben Reilly and Reilly's body degenerated, proving that he was indeed the clone.
Peter Parker then resumed being Spider-Man and all was fine and dandy.

Well, it sounds interesting (I read the wikipedia articla too) but it sounds similar to the Ultimat Carnage story arc.

I REALLY hope they don't make female clones of Peter.

I'd say that if we're really going to get someone "unexpected" from the Clone Saga it'd have to be Uncle Ben or Peter's father.

Jack of Hearts said:
I'd say that if we're really going to get someone "unexpected" from the Clone Saga it'd have to be Uncle Ben or Peter's father.

Welcome! :D

the watcher said:
Step 2. Blind'em With Science. I love modern science parables, and cloning certainly is one for us There's a gigantic moral conundrum over it that's in the headlines every single day. So I did some research, figured out what cloning is, why people are cloning, what yo can do wrong with it and what's just about the worst thing you can ever imagine happening to Peter. That's our Clone Saga.

This, I have problems with. Bendis reads stuff by Warren Ellis and thinks "eh, this pseudo-science isn't so hard" - but it IS, if you want it to be convincing. In "comics science" the best stuff is real-world science with a twist, something that's not possible (or not possible YET) in our world but almost could be. One thing Bendis can NOT do well is science - it's painfully clear he doesn't know a neutron from a cell nucleus. Ellis is completely self-taught when it comes to science and scientific principles, but he constantly works at keeping up to date - read any of his webpages/blogs - and "science" is just something Bendis uses as buzzwords. Every writer has areas they don't know much about (I can't write about any kind of sports) and that's the role of a consultant or an editor.

Last edited:
So what, who wants to listen to rich kids sing about suicide. What do they have to be so grim about. Peter Parker on the other has alot to be grim about. If he came out with an emo song I would listen.

But I do agree with Bendis and his whole 'blind em with science' bit. Who does he think he is, Bill Nye?

Latest posts

Back