Best and Worst voice acting in video games

The Overlord

Which video game had the best voice acting?

Which video game had the worst voice acting?

The Tombraider games were so badly acted that I'm not even sure they count. Tombraider Chronicles I think it was, terrible, contains the worst french accent I've ever heard anywhere.

Best, Metal Gear, easy.

(And no-one start knocking David Hayters melodrama, that's what makes it so good)

Last edited:
Guijllons said:
The Tombraider games were so badly acted that I'm not even sure they count. Tombraider Chronicles I think it was, terrible, contains the worst french accent I've ever heard anywhere.
To this day, I cannot fathom what made Tomb Raider popular enough to become a cultural phenomenon in the mid-nineties. Bad acting, clunky gameplay, chunky graphics, hokey story, what the hell man?
Guijllons said:
Best, Metal Gear, easy.

(And no-one start knocking David Hayters melodrama, that's what makes it so good)
I've never really played the Metal Gear Solid series intensively, but you're right on the money there. I think Hayter's even better when he uses the same self-serious gravelly voice for discussing things as mundane as food.

Tomb raider was my FIRST game for the Ps1, so there's no way I can say that it was bad. It's classic.

ourchair said:
To this day, I cannot fathom what made Tomb Raider popular enough to become a cultural phenomenon in the mid-nineties. Bad acting, clunky gameplay, chunky graphics, hokey story, what the hell man?

Unnaturally large boobs.

The Metal Gear and Grand Theft Auto series..es are both really good.

DMC3 Onimusha 3, all the Metal Gear Solid's and GTA's had wonderfull voice acting.

Last edited:
I have an embarrassing love for Valkyrie Profile's voice acting simply because they used the same voice actors for the Pokemon movie.

So you've got this self-serious epic drama about death and salvation filtered through a very liberal interpretation of Norse mythology, but with combat scenes with overly-earnest voice actors bellowing, "Come to me dark warriors, battle awaits us!" and "Now your future is emptiness!", you start developing an enthusiasm that's just infectious.

Valkyrie Profile is AWESOME. This is gospel truth.

UltimateE said:
The Metal Gear and Grand Theft Auto series..es are both really good.

I agree. Both have wonderful voice acting.

The Sims 2 has fantastic voice acting. You can really feel the emotion there. Those voice actors must be into method acting.

BEST

Ray Liotta as Tommy Vercetti, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

WORST

Max Crawford as Shujinko, Mortal Kombat: Deception

Seriously, I can't take a protagonist seriously if he says everything in the same tone of voice and if he has a HUGE FREAKING SPEECH IMPEDIMENT THAT PISSES ME OFF TO NO END.

Doc Comic said:
Seriously, I can't take a protagonist seriously if he says everything in the same tone of voice and if he has a HUGE FREAKING SPEECH IMPEDIMENT THAT PISSES ME OFF TO NO END.
Unless of course it's supposed to be funny. I liked Sam and Max's idea of a speech impediment: a mystical spoon-bending swami who cusses a lot. Almost every word was a loud bleep. Now THAT's a speech impediment.

ourchair said:
Unless of course it's supposed to be funny. I liked Sam and Max's idea of a speech impediment: a mystical spoon-bending swami who cusses a lot. Almost every word was a loud bleep. Now THAT's a speech impediment.
I believe he bends hardware, in order for him to use his tools better. ;)

I have completely biased video-gaming habits -- I almost exclusively play adventure games, especially in the last decade or so, when that genre appeared to be in decline, so I don't play as much.

With that in mind, I must say I loved the campy acting in Discworld: Noir. Can't say how faithful it was to the Pratchett franchise, but as a noir genre parody, it was quite effective.

Tim Curry voicing Gabriel Knight (of the emponymous game series) was pitch-perfect, with the languid Southern drawl, with just a hint of charming Gamit-esque lasciviousnes.

Whoever voiced George Stobbart in the Broken Sword games was alright, and captured the 'ordinary-guy-caught-up-in-something-bigger-than-himself' vibe required to get players to sympathize with this white-bread Average-Joe cypher.

compound said:
I have completely biased video-gaming habits -- I almost exclusively play adventure games, especially in the last decade or so, when that genre appeared to be in decline, so I don't play as much..
You should play LucasArts adventure games. They've got excellent voice acting and equally excellent stories.

ourchair said:
The Sims 2 has fantastic voice acting. You can really feel the emotion there. Those voice actors must be into method acting.
They employed two improv comedians for the voice acting, it does work exceptionally well.

Last edited:
I liked the woman who voiced Bastila in Star Wars Knights Of The Old Repuplic. Also recently found out she was one of the voices in the 90s Spidey cartoon as well (think she did one of the Venom voices)
Also Eric Idle doing the voice of Rincewind in the first 2 discworld games was great...

can't think of any that have really annoyed me...

Latest posts

Back