Brian K. Vaughan's run on Ultimate X-Men OVER after Magnetic North

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
In Newsarama's Anniversary special for the Ultimate Universe, They talked to Brian K. Vaughan about his last run on Ultimate X-Men, and briefly on what will happen once he leaves...

"NRAMA: Chart things out for us a little – after "Magnetic North," is there another arc with you before you start with Bryan Singer, or that not yet officially on the books at this point?

BKV: Actually, I'm afraid "Magnetic North" is going to be my last arc on the book for the foreseeable future. I had always planned for this to be my big finale, but when Singer's run got pushed back a few months, Marvel was nice enough to ask me to stay onboard. Still, after much consideration, I decided that I'd rather go out with a bang than potentially overstay my welcome.

Thankfully, the Ultimate office has hired a much better writer to take my place, someone who I've been dying to see write the X-Men for a while now. It's not my place to say who it, but I can say that he/she will unquestionable kick ***, and will most likely continue to plant more seeds for Bryan Singer's upcoming story."

Click the above link for more of the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, DSF.

I wonder who it can be. We know for sure, they Marvel WILL say before the previews book is released in September.

That sucks. I've been loving Vaughan's run and was hoping he was going to be continuing on till Singer, (heck i wanted BKV on forever with no Singer).
Maybe Geoff Johns is taking over till Singer starts? Damn I wish Vaughan was sticking around.
From TPLIST.com

12 Hard Lessons (58-60, Annual 1; w Brian K. Vaughan, Geoff Johns; a Stuart Immonen, Steve Dillon, Tom Raney). [From Marvel Comics: Ultimate Wolverine makes his explosive return! Storm travels to the Great White North to find her missing friend, but there's no time for celebration for the tempestuous and troubled duo! They're about to take on an all-new threat to the Ultimate Universe... Lady Deathstrike! Plus: When a dangerous young mutant immune to psychic control takes Charles Xavier and the rest of a Manhattan bank hostage, the Professor must lead a diverse group of humans in a risky bid to end the siege! And finally, witness the return of Ultimate Juggernaut! Juggie makes a play for the Gem of Cyttorak, the jewel that will make him truly unstoppable. Only two small things stand in his way: Rogue of the X-Men and Ultimate Gambit, the new prince and princess of thieves! This story will change the X-Men's status quo forever!] 11/16/05

Brian said:
Actually, I'm afraid "Magnetic North" is going to be my last arc on the book for the foreseeable future.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!
I had always planned for this to be my big finale, but when Singer's run got pushed back a few months, Marvel was nice enough to ask me to stay onboard.
So, you're gonna, right?
Still, after much consideration, I decided that I'd rather go out with a bang than potentially overstay my welcome.
NOOOOOOOOOOooooOOOoOoO!!!

You fool, you damn crazy fool!.

Thankfully, the Ultimate office has hired a much better writer to take my place, someone who I've been dying to see write the X-Men for a while now. It's not my place to say who it, but I can say that he/she will unquestionable kick ***, and will most likely continue to plant more seeds for Bryan Singer's upcoming story."
They really had better be good.

Damn shame he's not staying on, but I do appreciate his logic and i do hope he returns to the title one day.

Holy ****!

If Geoff Johns took over I would be happier than a Sack of Pandas....

But since he's the Crisis Boy, unless he's not exclusive...

Which reminds me, his run of GL only goes till #6, his miniseries of GL: Recharge is only six issues, and there have been hints that Teen Titans might be a Gail Simone book... And who knows if the JSA will even survive the Crisis...

Wow. That'd be cool, Johns on the UXM...

DIrishB said:
this is disappointing news, I was sure he'd stay on the title through Singer's run. And since he said he won't be doing it for the forseeable future, does this mean he won't be co-writing Singer's run? Bad news, man, bad news...oh well.

I think he's helping to plot it out... not actually write-write...

Well, since Geoff Johns wrote the UXM 1/2, he would already have some good background to work with and stuff.

And what about David Mack? He was supposed to be on before. Maybe he's coming on now.

icemastertron said:
Plotting/co-writting.

Yeah, I figured if anything Singer would be doing most of the plotting within the guidelines Vaughan and the editors set for him, and Vaughan would be doing most of the writing/dialogue. So either this means Vaughan has already written Singer's run (which is believable given the amount of delays its gone through) and will possibly come in later to correct any mistakes, etc, or someone totally new (possibly the new writer) will be taking over the reins also on Singer's arcs.

Still, after much consideration, I decided that I'd rather go out with a bang than potentially overstay my welcome.

I was afraid that would happen, but I would have figured if that was the case that marvel would have announced something before the september previews.

someone who I've been dying to see write the X-Men for a while now.

I wonder if he's implying a writer who is a veteran to the Ultimate Universe. Millar, maybe? Although then it would take 9 months to get 3 issues out.

MaxwellSmart said:
I wonder if he's implying a writer who is a veteran to the Ultimate Universe. Millar, maybe? Although then it would take 9 months to get 3 issues out.
I doubt it's Millar, he's had his run. I also doubt it will be anyone that great alas. I mean, being a fill in is hardly profile work.

PhoenixFactor said:
Maybe Geoff Johns is taking over till Singer starts? Damn I wish Vaughan was sticking around.
From TPLIST.com

12 Hard Lessons (58-60, Annual 1; w Brian K. Vaughan, Geoff Johns; a Stuart Immonen, Steve Dillon, Tom Raney). 11/16/05

No, it's not Johns. The reason he's listed there is because Vol 12 of UXM collects 58-60, Annual and the 1/2 issue, which, as Ice said, Johns wrote. It's just not listed. I wonder who's writing? I honestly don't know a writer who'd be better then Vaughan on this book. . .

Unless. . .you guys don't think this arc is the Loeb/Mad book? :roll: God, WHY is he leaving? :(

MaxwellSmart said:
... if that was the case that marvel would have announced something before the september previews.
Not really. They usually have those kind of announce/save the talk about it for cons.

But since the Boston tour of Wizard isnt until the end of September, meaning that the previews for December will come first, the news of the writer will be told online.

Lynx said:
Unless. . .you guys don't think this arc is the Loeb/Mad book?

Oh, I hope so. If only because that would mean they probably wouldn't be on Ultimates 3. But Guij is right - they wouldn't put someone that high-profile on a filler arc.

Mack is probably the best guess. Mack was going to do an arc about Wolverine's wife around issue 50...who knows.

And I find it funny of all people to be concerned about overstaying their welcome...it's Vaughan. I don't think I've ever heard more people say they want a writer to stay on a book indefinitely more than Vaughan on UXM.

This is really thinly-veiled wish fulfilment, but I siuncerely hope the fill-in writer is gonna be Bill Willingham. Everything about his Fables indicates he's perfect for Ultimate X-Men

You have a thematically similar premise: a secluded community of powerful individuals, sorting out differences within their kind, and delaing with the outside world. He's got the inter-personal bickering down pat, without making it seem overly annoying or soap operatic. Most importantly, he knows how to balance off periodic changes in the status quo, while still retaining a sense of consistency, which is crucial for any X-title. Plus, Fables' basic appeal hinges on teasing mysterious or uncertain backstories -- conspiracies, secret alliances -- while using those to frame a larger, ongoing drama in the present, which is a useful skill for *any* Ultimate title. Oh, and his pet character -- the complex, intriguing Bigby Wolf -- can out-Wolvie Wolvie any day :twisted:

Also, his work on the Sandman spin-off titles shows that -- much like Vaughn -- he's able to pen interesting stories within an existing mythos, which play around with established concepts, but are still very accessible for readers who are not familiar with the narrative 'universe' yet.

In Thessaly: Witch-For-Hire, Willingham reinvented Morpheus' old lover/nemesis (aren't they all?) as a kind of travelling paranormal investigator. He used the overly fantastic concepts of Sandman to write a very readable, conventional, 'mainstream' story, without completely betraying the spirit of the Sandman books.

Ditto for Merv Pumpkinhead: Agent of D.R.E.A.M., which was a parody of old Ian Fleming novels, and Steranko comics, and cheesy spy genre cliches, and yet it fit perfectly within the mystical framework that Gaiman established.

That kind of skill at taking pre-established ideas, and working them into fun, diverse new contexts is *precisely* what qualifies him to pen an Ultimate title.

UltimateE said:
Oh, I hope so. If only because that would mean they probably wouldn't be on Ultimates 3. But Guij is right - they wouldn't put someone that high-profile on a filler arc.

Mack is probably the best guess. Mack was going to do an arc about Wolverine's wife around issue 50...who knows.

Mack's a really good guess, actually. I wonder if he's been saving that Wolvie story for just such an occasion. . .

And I will PROTEST if Loeb/Mad are on for Ultimates 3. I like both of them, but NOT on that. Absolutley not. Loeb's writing style isn't anywhere near Millar's, and Mad is not realistic enough to play up the gritty mood of Ultimates.

I know Johns went DC exclusive right after the end of his Avengers run, and with him doing as much as he is over there right now I doubt they'll be letting him go anytime soon.

I've got no clue who 'd want on UXM anytime soon. I mean you'd need good characterization, and strong action. There are plenty of writers who can do either, but few who can do both. The shortness of the list is compounded by exclusivity contracts and workloads.

And I really hope its not Loeb. I like him and all, I just don't think he could pull of a team book, prefering him on solos.

Willingham's a good choice. Thessaly was a very entertaining read, I've bee hearing how his Robin run is beyond excellent, and I just picked up Fables V1 (Took me long enough, eh?) today, so expect Fables raving from me later.

Latest posts

Back