Buffy Season 8 Comic series

When is this supposed to hit? I've read both the 7th and the 14th...

I don't know, but welcome!! You have the best username I've seen in a long time. :D

"Aren't I just hilarious character?!
DERP DERP DIDDLY DERP!"

Hahaha, thank you. I didn't know how long it'd be before someone caught the reference. Thanks for not disappointing me.

Last edited:
WEDNESDAY!

And one of the (If not THE) Big Bads of this season is. . .

Amy Madison!

I'm ordering Fray, Tales of the Slayers and Tales of the Vampires (As the only officially canon comics before Season 8 ) to get caught up.

Last edited:
I haven't read Tales of the Slayers. . .

But there was some okay stuff in the Tales of the Vampires book, but really Ben Templesmith's cover was the best thing about it.

Fray was all right.

Last edited:
WEDNESDAY!

And one of the (If not THE) Big Bads of this season is. . .

Amy Madison!

I'm ordering Fray, Tales of the Slayers and Tales of the Vampires (As the only officially canon comics before Season 8 ) to get caught up.

***Spoilers****

I'll be kinda disappointed if that is the true big bad. I've heard that characters set to return during the first 10 or show 'episodes' but, using that character as the big bad would be the same mistake season 7 suffered; just another instance of going back to the well once more, when they've already triumphed over that character many, many times before.

BTVS was always best because it was creative and original. Except for season 7, when it fell onto countless crutches. "I'm the first evil, and I'm cool cause I'm from season 3" "You can't hurt me, but I can hurt you" "I can be anyone, anytime, anywhere." All of these are elements of extremely weak and cheap writing, and its the reason season 7 should never have seen the light of day, save for a few episodes here and there.

If Joss makes the comic fall back on to the crutch of an established character, defeated by the scoobies a handful of times, suddenly come into power and get all pissed off (Why? Its not like Buffy and Company knew they were gonna make Sunnydale a crater) its just the same as not having enough creative steam to come up with an original big bad to pose as great a threat as say, The Master, Adam, Angel, Glory, or even the high water mark of the series, The Mayor. We're in the comic world now, and Joss and Co. should be able to raise something 100x as frightening as the threat the Mayor posed.

I'm the biggest BTVS / Angel fan around. (And, anyway you slice it, every week Angel consistently trumped BTVS in terms of quality from season 3 through 5). But The problem BTVS suffered from season 6 through the conclusion was a lack of creativity and a complete lack of ability to bring anything new to the table. If this season 8, lead by the much more culpable Wheadon as opposed to the bumbling Marty Noxon (only in her later days - "Whats My Line Pts. 1 & 2" are among the best BTVS episodes ever) follows suit with the same weaknesses indicative of season 7, its gonna be really really hard to keep paying to pick it up week by week, even for this fanboy.

I have NO problem with bringing said character back for a couple episodes to get some nostalgia injected into the comic. To raise that character up to the threat of a big bad, ESPESCIALLY in a comic, would be a huge, huge mistake.

DERP.

Last edited:
*Possible Spoilers*

It's possible said character will only be the "Big Bad" in the first arc, but Whedon did say the Big Bad was a returning cast member. Personally, I'm fine with it. The First, I'll agree, was a little ridiculous simply because. . .you can't beat it. It will ALWAYS be there. It was almost like ME couldn't think of anything to top Glory or Dark Willow.

But this? It's no different then Angel turning into Angelus or Willow as Dark Willow, both of which were quite well done.

Anyways, as for actual plot details:
I know she can now raise the dead (Zombies) and in issue 2 or 3, her and Willow get into a huge witch fight, but I don't know if she escapes.

But, how much worse can a Big Bad be? I mean, discounting the First, that'd mean the writers will have to use Old Ones which, in my opinion, should be used sparingly. It was always made a point that humans could be just as bad, if not worse, then demons. I think
Amy
fits that bill perfectly.

But this? It's no different then Angel turning into Angelus or Willow as Dark Willow both of which were quite well done.

Thats a question of motivation. Angelus was always there (and fleshed out sooo well in AtS that putting him in the same catagory as Dark Willow is almost unacceptable), and Dark Willow came from a dark place in Willows life plus frustration over the Trioka plus the death of Tara. A very specific set of ingredients. To simply raise said character and have her be all pissed off over "They collapsed Sunnydale On Me" (which is what I heard the motivation was gonna be) and she suddenly becomes a huge threat is dumb and lazy.

I'm not opposed to her as a smaller 'big bad'. In the latter seasons ME went for the small bad / traitor / big bad route. But as the one who instills pain and suffering and is a huge threat to the scoobies? That char would be a joke.

But, how much worse can a Big Bad be? I mean, discounting the First, that'd mean the writers will have to use Old Ones which, in my opinion, should be used sparingly. It was always made a point that humans could be just as bad, if not worse, then demons.

They could so soooo much worse. How about a caveman from "Beer Bad" as the big bad? Or, the characters that singlehandedly defined how abd BTVS had gotten, The "Ubervamps" as the big bad? Or Toth from "The Replacement" and his magical stick as the big bad (Ok, I have a soft spot in my heart for all Xander eps, so no mocking Toth).

Last edited:
*Possible Spoilers*

It's possible said character will only be the "Big Bad" in the first arc, but Whedon did say the Big Bad was a returning cast member.

Any idea where you read that, by the way? Its pretty interesting. But hell, former cast member could be people that were only in a few episodes, like Mr. Trick.

Thats a question of motivation. Angelus was always there (and fleshed out sooo well in AtS that putting him in the same catagory as Dark Willow is almost unacceptable), and Dark Willow came from a dark place in Willows life plus frustration over the Trioka plus the death of Tara. A very specific set of ingredients. To simply raise said character and have her be all pissed off over "They collapsed Sunnydale On Me" (which is what I heard the motivation was gonna be) and she suddenly becomes a huge threat is dumb and lazy.

I disagree. I believe s/he will have had plenty of development and, I'm sure, the "Collapse of Sunnydale" will only be part of his/her reasons for being irate.

I'm not opposed to her as a smaller 'big bad'. In the latter seasons ME went for the small bad / traitor / big bad route. But as the one who instills pain and suffering and is a huge threat to the scoobies? That char would be a joke.

See, I don't get that. I could see her/him having become immensely powerful and creating a threat. And I'd find him/her more interesting than, say, some brand new demon. I mean, how do you TOP the First, demon-wise?

They could so soooo much worse. How about a caveman from "Beer Bad" as the big bad? Or, the characters that singlehandedly defined how abd BTVS had gotten, The "Ubervamps" as the big bad? Or Toth from "The Replacement" and his magical stick as the big bad (Ok, I have a soft spot in my heart for all Xander eps, so no mocking Toth).

I meant as in more of a threat. I mean. . .the Old Ones are all that's really left. And that seems like scraping the barrel. This is more refreshing, in my opinion.

Any idea where you read that, by the way? Its pretty interesting. But hell, former cast member could be people that were only in a few episodes, like Mr. Trick.

Wikipedia. They have sources leading to various interviews with JW with the information.

I disagree. I believe s/he will have had plenty of development and, I'm sure, the "Collapse of Sunnydale" will only be part of his/her reasons for being irate.

Ah, WILL have had. Not yet. Right now s/he is still a threat only to that one person, and that is really only a 'social' peer pressure type of threat. And that has even been over come by the main character it influenced, so why would a slayer army numbering in the thousands (?) be threatened by s/he at all? And didn't the character more or less say, point blank, you're *much* more powerful than me? Stepping back on that now would be a big mistake.

See, I don't get that. I could see her/him having become immensely powerful and creating a threat.
Suddenly coming back from the brink of death and magically coming into a great deal of power? Thats the exact same thing the first did. And its exactly what makes the first the worst big bad of all time.

And I'd find him/her more interesting than, say, some brand new demon. I mean, how do you TOP the First, demon-wise?

With...Anything. The first was a lazy, self indulgent attempt at relying at the mythology to seemingly "manufacture" its own big bad within its own mythology. "I'm the big bad...you cant touch me, but I can be anyone of you anytime and where...and can see you anytime, anywhere, even if you cant see me. Dont question this because I am the first, and I was here for one *breif* moment under a Christmas tree farm in season 3 of Buffy".

Anything with a bit of creativity and some mythology is better than the first. Hell, Vampire Xander being tossed through a portal onto earth for no reason is better than the first. The return of Caleb would be a better big bad than the first.

Last edited:
Ah, WILL have had. Not yet. Right now s/he is still a threat only to that one person, and that is really only a 'social' peer pressure type of threat. And that has even been over come by the main character it influenced, so why would a slayer army numbering in the thousands (?) be threatened by s/he at all? And didn't the character more or less say, point blank, you're *much* more powerful than me? Stepping back on that now would be a big mistake.

*shrugs* S/he is a character with background. A character that people will say "Ohhhhhhh. . .him/her!" Who knows what kind of new power s/he will have acquired. Actually, scratch that, I know what power. But, to be honest, the more I read, the more I think s/he's just the baddie or the first arc.

Suddenly coming back from the brink of death and magically coming into a great deal of power? Thats the exact same thing the first did. And its exactly what makes the first the worst big bad of all time.

With...Anything. The first was a lazy, self indulgent attempt at relying at the mythology to seemingly "manufacture" its own big bad within its own mythology. "I'm the big bad...you cant touch me, but I can be anyone of you anytime and where...and can see you anytime, anywhere, even if you cant see me. Dont question this because I am the first, and I was here for one *breif* moment under a Christmas tree farm in season 3 of Buffy".

:sure:

You are WAY over analyzing The First. I think you're stuck on the fact that the First was introduced in Season 3 and is an attempt to pull things out of its own mythology. Which I don't think was the case at all.

The First IS the ultimate Big Bad. Regardless of if it had been introduced in Season 3 or not, you can't get worse than the source of all evil. Which is basically what the First is. Hence why it can't die. The First is basically the Devil.

I'm not quite sure why you think its a bad concept. Personally, I wasn't a fan because it couldn't be defeated. I liked that it confronted the Scoobies on a psychological level rather than a physical level (Unless you count Caleb and the Turok-Han). You don't seem to like it because you think it was the ME team pulling out an obscure reference.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I saw the episode where the First was introduced I thought "Why are they wasting this concept on this one episode?"

But then, they "wasted" a lot of concepts on single episodes. And really, it's just the comic book mentality of no good bad guy can stay away for long that leads me to believe this way.

As much as this series is going to be Season 8, it's still a comic book, and I think the same rules apply. Plus, after all this time away, Buffy is pretty much just a nostalgia sell now anyway, so people reading this are going to want to see all their old favorites, not necessarily anything new.

Found out
Amy
isn't the Big Bad, but the Big Bad *will* be a returning character out for "revenge".
Amy's
just the baddie of the first arc.

Found out
Amy
isn't the Big Bad, but the Big Bad *will* be a returning character out for "revenge".
Amy's
just the baddie of the first arc.

Best news of the week.

Now, we're accepting bets on who you think the BB out for revenge is? My money will fall on....Ethan Rayne. Just 'casue.

Last edited:
Best news of the week.

Now, we're accepting bets on who you think the BB out for revenge is? My money will fall on....Ethan Rayne. Just 'casue.

Weren't you just saying how
Amy
was a bad choice because the Scoobies had defeated her/him multiple times? Ethan Rayne is the epitome of joke villain. That'd be terribly disappointing. Not that I wouldn't like to see him appear at some point. . .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back