Buffy Season 8 Comic series

So, I finished issue #1 this morning and really liked it.

I know this thread has no spoiler tags, so until that happens, I am putting my synopsis in the brand-spanking new spoiler tags.

You definitely get the sense that something has happened, that time has passed. It starts out with Buffy leading a commando team of slayers, musing through "thought boxes" how things have changed. It then cuts to Xander at some kind of high-tech hq doing basically the same thing. He IS Nick Fury, and even asks to be called that! He is coordinating multiple slayer-teams around the world.

Buffy and co are given the go-ahead and bust up some demons, finding "victims" with apparently self-inflected mysterious symbols carved onto their chests-a Buffy staple. Mysterious boots are flying overhead, watching the whole thing.

A general is angry about there being magic, and Buffy raising an army. He wants to do something about it. He has people excavating Sunnydale, attempting to find something he can use or understand. They find something inexplicable and surprising, but we aren't shown what.

Buffy and Xander are discussing the mysterious symbol, but they can't decipher it. Xander tells Buffy she needs to talk to her sister. Buffy is hesitant, and makes comment about not being able to do anything until they find Willow. She eventually listens to Xander and goes into another room where she finds a Giant-sized Dawn over a 2-page multi-panel spread. Apparently she fell in with a wrong boy and that. combined with her amateur witchiness, resulted in an irreversable giant-sizing which they need the missing Willow to undo. Dawn also refuses to discuss the boy with Buffy.

The general is now at a facility talking about offering someonerelease, full immunity, and lots of cheese in return for taking out Buffy for them. That person, in the last page reveal is shown to be a very scarred and crazy-looking Amy.

The dialogue was exactly right. It is interesting getting inside Buffy/Xander's heads, something you can't ever explicitly do in T.V. There are moments, (such as Buffy complaining,
"since when did Willow become the expert on boys?"
) that resonate exactly like lines in the show tended to. Not a lot really happens, but it certainly sets things up well and hints at a lot of drastic changes for the Scooby status quo. Also, the reference to certain events in the 5th season of Angel are great (especially the revelation about
"The Girl in Question"-that Buffy never was truly with The Immortal, that was just a complex ploy designed by Andrew to keep assassins from trying to take the real Buffy out)

I give it a 4/5

Last edited:
I read it. And I'll keep reading it.

Not because it's Buffy or Angel stuff. But because I like Whedon's work. I still think they should've gotten someone else for the art.

Sgt Fury!!! :lol:

Well, apparently, the response for Buffy Season 8 has been so strong. . .that JW is doing ANGEL SEASON 6!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=105502

:rockon:

WOW! My wife and I enjoyed Angel very much and were supremely disappointed when the series ended. She rarely reads comics, but I know she'll read this.

I just read Buffy Season 8 last night and I'm still cogitating on it. Initial reaction: thank goodness, there's more Buffy. Hadn't realized I needed a fix.

Haven't read Issue Two yet, but has anybody considered that the person they pulled out of under Sunnydale could be Ethan Rayne? The last he was heard of he was imprisoned by the Initiative, and we know they didn't really... let any of their captured demons free... Perhaps he and Amy found eachother... And the General's disgust comes from looking at a man who's lived underground for what? Four and a Half years?

Also: Anyone else hoping for more Riley Finn?

So, I read issue 2. It was pretty good. I think I liked it more than one.

But Andrew looked like a freakin' eight year old. Actually, a lot of the close-ups were kind of weird.

Last edited:
Haven't read Issue Two yet, but has anybody considered that the person they pulled out of under Sunnydale could be Ethan Rayne? The last he was heard of he was imprisoned by the Initiative, and we know they didn't really... let any of their captured demons free... Perhaps he and Amy found eachother... And the General's disgust comes from looking at a man who's lived underground for what? Four and a Half years?

Also: Anyone else hoping for more Riley Finn?

I loved Ethan, hence why he made an appearance in my Angel season 6 fan fic!

No Riley. Riley bad. He nancy boy.

A critic once wrote this about #1:

...you think you can come back into my life four years later and act like nothing happened? And I'm supposed to enjoy it? Apparently, yes…yes I am, and I do.

He was right. While #1 was great (in terms of writing...the art just didn't suit the book)....#2 is leaps and bounds better!

It really felt like the TV show. This issue made me grin a giant geeky grin. Everything was just right. Although I have to wonder how appropriate it was for Xander to be there with Dawn bathing. As a teenage girl I'd think she'd be shy about her body.....especially with her body being 20ft tall. Also is it wrong that I found a giant 17 year old girl and the idea of her being able to pick me up and squash me hot?

I think I have issues....

But this....this book is the reason I buy comics.

I still wish they'd change the art.

A critic once wrote this about #1:

He was right. While #1 was great (in terms of writing...the art just didn't suit the book)....#2 is leaps and bounds better!

It really felt like the TV show. This issue made me grin a giant geeky grin. Everything was just right. Although I have to wonder how appropriate it was for Xander to be there with Dawn bathing. As a teenage girl I'd think she'd be shy about her body.....especially with her body being 20ft tall. Also is it wrong that I found a giant 17 year old girl and the idea of her being able to pick me up and squash me hot?

I think I have issues....

But this....this book is the reason I buy comics.

I still wish they'd change the art.

Yes issues of comics.

But I agree with you. I love this book.

The art isn't bad but kinda puts off some of the characters.

Ok....so #3 not as good as #2....but better than #1.

Still not liking the art.

That's all I have to say about that...............except for "Fe-Fi-Fo--****IN FUM!" :lol:

Yeah, 2's the best so far. I might actually like 1 more than 3 though. I think the art got a lot worse this issue. I actually checked the credits to see if it was the same guy.

He can't draw Andrew for ****.

The only way I can tell he's drawing andrew is because I can tell they arent trying to introduce a new character... It always takes a moment of thinking to realize who it is.

Latest posts

Back