Buffy Season 8 Comic series

We keep calling it bad writing, when it was one of the better written issues to come out of the series. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of this arc.

Yeah, Drew Goddard has written or co-written some of my all-time favorite LOST episodes. Flashes Before Your Eyes, The Man From Tallahassee, One of Us, The Man Behind the Curtain, Confirmed Dead (which he co-wrote with BKV)...

You talk a lot about what it takes to be a successful writer. I'm curious, do you write?

Wot? I wus totally agreeing wit u. 2 gurls in bed iz teh hotness!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not up on the lingo.

No, I don't write, but I read an awful lot of critcism of TV and comics that that makes accusations of doing things just for shock value. In order to keep people reading and watching they have to twist things around, upset the applecart or just plain goose your nads on a regular basis. I came across someone accusing the TV show Lost of doing something shocking in every recent episode when two years ago everyone was complaining that it was moving too slowly.

I think we agree that "shock value " can be good or bad depending on whether or not the event is genuine. I have more faith in JW than to think that he would wreak havok with the evolution of his most famous character for a temporary sales bump. Time will tell whether I need to be more cynical.

No, I don't write, but I read an awful lot of critcism of TV and comics that that makes accusations of doing things just for shock value. In order to keep people reading and watching they have to twist things around, upset the applecart or just plain goose your nads on a regular basis. I came across someone accusing the TV show Lost of doing something shocking in every recent episode when two years ago everyone was complaining that it was moving too slowly.

I think we agree that "shock value " can be good or bad depending on whether or not the event is genuine. I have more faith in JW than to think that he would wreak havok with the evolution of his most famous character for a temporary sales bump. Time will tell whether I need to be more cynical.

While I agree with what you're saying, I really don't think it applies in this case. Buffy having a lesbian encounter wasn't an evolution of her character; it reeked of a publicity stunt. I liked that Satsu was in love with Buffy. I felt it would have been an interesting storyline to have someone who could never be with the person she loved. But, instead, we go back to the tortured romance. As was stated already, JW did this before. Replace Spike of Season 6 with Satsu. Yes, Satsu isn't a souless vampire, but for Buffy, the motivation and, very likely, the consequences will be the same. It's not enough to ruin the series by any means, but I'm just not interested in what the aftermath of this is.

On a lighter note, anyone have any guesses on to who Twilight is? It's very obviously a character we've met before, otherwise there'd be little reason for him to wear a mask. I'm guessing Riley due to the military connections. I'd say Warren, but Twilight was roaming around before the military found Amy and Warren.

Last edited:
No problem.

I love a good surprise as much as anyone, but for me it has to really mean something or have consequences for the character or characters involved. If it's a shock that is done ONLY for shock value than it has no value. If it's only goal is to get media exposure (which is my personal opinion of Buffy's latest escapade) than it actually detracts from the series as a whole.

Only time will tell which one Joss and company have come up with here, but I would advise you to stretch out your inner cynic. You don't want to cramp up.
While I agree with what you're saying, I really don't think it applies in this case. Buffy having a lesbian encounter wasn't an evolution of her character; it reeked of a publicity stunt. I liked that Satsu was in love with Buffy. I felt it would have been an interesting storyline to have someone who could never be with the person she loved. But, instead, we go back to the tortured romance. As was stated already, JW did this before. Replace Spike of Season 6 with Satsu. Yes, Satsu isn't a souless vampire, but for Buffy, the motivation and, very likely, the consequences will be the same. It's not enough to ruin the series by any means, but I'm just not interested in what the aftermath of this is.
My feelings exactly.
On a lighter note, anyone have any guesses on to who Twilight is? It's very obviously a character we've met before, otherwise there'd be little reason for him to wear a mask. I'm guessing Riley due to the military connections. I'd say Warren, but Twilight was roaming around before the military found Amy and Warren.
Twilight is the girl who made the Jimmy Olsen thread.

So I missed all the lesbian Buffy controversy for the last couple of pages, but my take on it is that for the last couple issues, they've really been harking on Buffy's feelings of disconnect. How she brought all these people together, but yet she's the one that's alone. Everyone is connecting on some different level---whether it's Xander and Renee…or Willow and whatever girl she's dating…or even Dawn and the Thricewise. Everyone has a connection, be it romantic or even friendly.

But outside of Willow and Xander---Buffy remains alone.

So it's understandable that when she's under spell and the only way to awaken is by a true love's kiss…out of curiosity (and possibly a bit of desperation) she'd explore that avenue to see what kind of connection could be there. And obviously, since she's never figured herself to be attracted to the same sex, she'd be a little reluctant to embrace that route. I don't think it was lame or a publicity stunt---but merely a situation created to explore Buffy's journey to find someone she can connect with.

With that outta way, I found the whole situation funny when everyone kept walking in on them. But this last issue with Dracula was classic Buffy. I lost count of how many times I LOLd.

Dracula and Xander's interactions were fantastic.

Dracula: Manservant, tell your moor to watch her tone.
Xander (to Renee): Watch your tone moor.

:lol:

Probably one of the best issues I've read this entire series. Even better than the BKV issues which were superb.

I just read the current issue, so I'll discuss that in a moment, but first. . .

So I missed all the lesbian Buffy controversy for the last couple of pages, but my take on it is that for the last couple issues, they've really been harking on Buffy's feelings of disconnect. How she brought all these people together, but yet she's the one that's alone. Everyone is connecting on some different level---whether it's Xander and Renee…or Willow and whatever girl she's dating…or even Dawn and the Thricewise. Everyone has a connection, be it romantic or even friendly.

But outside of Willow and Xander---Buffy remains alone.

Buffy still connects with Xander on a personal level. Willow. . .not so much, especially after the revelations of issue 10. And Satsu is basically her protege.
Thing is, though, this has been done before. In Season 6. Buffy couldn't connect with anyone other then Spike. It's a retread. Buffy has since grown as a character and, in Season 7, as a leader. She should be past this.

So it's understandable that when she's under spell and the only way to awaken is by a true love's kiss…out of curiosity (and possibly a bit of desperation) she'd explore that avenue to see what kind of connection could be there. And obviously, since she's never figured herself to be attracted to the same sex, she'd be a little reluctant to embrace that route. I don't think it was lame or a publicity stunt---but merely a situation created to explore Buffy's journey to find someone she can connect with.

Perhaps. . .but, she knew she wasn't gay. She knew that. And, not only did she know it, so did Satsu. It was an effort in futility.

With that outta way, I found the whole situation funny when everyone kept walking in on them. But this last issue with Dracula was classic Buffy. I lost count of how many times I LOLd.

Dracula and Xander's interactions were fantastic.

Dracula: Manservant, tell your moor to watch her tone.
Xander (to Renee): Watch your tone moor.

:lol:

Probably one of the best issues I've read this entire series. Even better than the BKV issues which were superb.

I definitely agree. Other than the actual sex scene, the rest of both issues 12 and 13 were Buffy gold. Even as someone who was never a fan of Dracula in Buffy, it really, really works well. I have to say that Xander is easily my favorite character this season. He's grown exponentially as a character while still remaining Xander. Whenever he talks, I can hear Nick Brenden's voice in my head.

What I find odd, however, is that the weakest issues of this season were written by Whedon himself. The three one-shots were decent (Although issue 10 confused the hell out of me on the first reading), but Vaughan's and, now, Goddard's arcs are leaps and bounds better. I am looking forward to the Fray crossover, however, as I was a big fan of that series.

What I'm not looking forward to is issue #20. Loeb is writing it. It's only one issue, but THE HORROR. . .the rest of the series should be good, though. An arc of one shots written by Jane Espenson, Doug Petrie, Drew Greenberg, Steven S DeKnight (All ME writers) and Jim Krueger (Earth X, Justice, WOO!), followed by an arc by an undecided writer, followed by an arc by Brad Meltzer (Again, WOO!) and the final arc by Whedon again. And then, Season 9.

I've been hearing some Speculation that Xander is Twilight, maybe as a form of vengeance for Anya, and now this girl as well... I think its very possible.

Also: I love Dracula.

I've been hearing some Speculation that Xander is Twilight, maybe as a form of vengeance for Anya, and now this girl as well... I think its very possible.

Also: I love Dracula.

I've heard that, too. But, I'm pretty sure it can't be. Xander was in Scotland during the first mission where Buffy discovered the Twilight symbols. Floating above the castle, you can see Twilight's boots. Xander couldn't have been there. Plus. . .why would Xander be romantically involved with a Slayer, if the Slayers are his mortal enemies. I think Xander might be Twilight's mole, but not Twilight himself. Plus, this season already has the tortured relationship angle of Season Six. We don't need Dark Xander.

I'm still thinking Riley. Military connection, detesting all things magic and vampires, and its possible Sam could have been killed by a rogue Slayer. Ethan Rayne's another possibility (Could have faked his death).

Last edited:
Jeez does it suck to be Xander. I mean can't a guy just have one girlfriend that doesn't get impaled or burned or whatever?

Also, I have no clue who Twilight is. I mean there are so many characters from the 7 years of the Buffyverse that to pinpoint who Twilight is, is just impossible.

Jeez does it suck to be Xander. I mean can't a guy just have one girlfriend that doesn't get impaled or burned or whatever?

Seriously. And yet, he's always in good spirits.

Also, I have no clue who Twilight is. I mean there are so many characters from the 7 years of the Buffyverse that to pinpoint who Twilight is, is just impossible.

True. I just think it has to be someone who's made an impact on Buffy, otherwise the reveal won't have impact.

I'm still thinking Riley. Military connection, detesting all things magic and vampires, and its possible Sam could have been killed by a rogue Slayer. Ethan Rayne's another possibility (Could have faked his death).

Or better yet, maybe she BECAME a Slayer, Riley couldn't handle that due his history with Buffy, and it destroyed their relationship.

Latest posts

Back