Burning bridges (Ultimate X-Men spoilers)

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
First the X-Men get on Fury's black list.

Then Xavier decides he doesn't trust Emma Frost so much and send a spy over there, an act that could put a deep wedge between the two organizations if ever uncovered. Thankfully there are no telepaths at this point at Emma's...

Finally, in their very next adventures, the X-men will butt head with the Fantastic Fours.

I don't know how the Fantastic Four and the Angel spy story lines will be resolved, but it looks like the X-Men could very well find themselves isolated in the near future.

Good thing that Kitty is going out with Spider-man, huh? ;) That'll be at least one superhero that won't be pissed at Xavier's brood in the near future.

So, do you think it's a deliberate editorial mandate to increase the X-Men's outcast factor? If so, there are probably already storylines planned to take advantage of it.
 
Last edited:

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
E.Vi.L. said:
Thankfully there are no telepaths at this point at Emma's...
Well that's the trick isn't it. Are Emma's powers simply the diamond form, or does she have a little secret.

I'm hoping that this separation is part of a larger plan, it seems against Xavier's will to be isolated like this.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
Guijllons said:
Well that's the trick isn't it. Are Emma's powers simply the diamond form, or does she have a little secret.

I'm hoping that this separation is part of a larger plan, it seems against Xavier's will to be isolated like this.
We don't if she does or not. She hasn't shown/said anything to lead people to believe she has telepathy.
 

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
The link between turning into Crystal and Telepathy is tenuous, to say the least.

Mutants with more than one powers usually have powers that are a coherent package, as opposed to Superman for example.

(3rd Superman dig in less than 2 weeks, I am on a roll!)

Guijllons said:
I'm hoping that this separation is part of a larger plan, it seems against Xavier's will to be isolated like this.

Being cut off from Fury is Alex's fault, not Xavier's. Which is precisely why he wants a Spy at her academy. He doesn't trust her. Being tight with SHIELD was part of his plan and now because of the acts of a mutants who isn't under his control, that link has been cut.

So the Spy is a natural reaction. But if Angel is uncovered, it could hurt him even more. Even a master's plan can go wrong.

It would be ironic that the successful completion of Erik's master plan begins the unraveling of Xavier's...
 
Last edited:

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
E.Vi.L. said:
The link between turning into Crystal and Telepathy is tenuous, to say the least.
She's a powerful telepath in the 616, the diamond thing is a secondary mutation. (I think)

Being cut off from Fury Alex's fault, not Xavier's. Which is precisely why he wants a Spy at her academy. He doesn't trust her. Being tight with SHIELD was part of his plan and now because of the acts of a mutants who isn't under his control, that link has been cut.
Yes, being cut off would piss Xavier off, it's against what he wants. It adds an interesting dynamic as Xavier tries to get back under the governments umbrella, if only to ensure the sentinel program isn't restarted.
Millar hinted at Xavier having bigger plans in a discussion he was having with Magneto in the cell. To cut off and leave it doesn't make any sense for Xavier.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
Guijllons said:
She's a powerful telepath in the 616, the diamond thing is a secondary mutation. (I think)
It is. I believe someone said that Morrison gave her that to "equal" (or whatever the word was) to Colossus since his pitch for bringing Colossus back was rejected.


Guijllons said:
Yes, being cut off would piss Xavier off, it's against what he wants. It adds an interesting dynamic as Xavier tries to get back under the governments umbrella, if only to ensure the sentinel program isn't restarted.
Millar hinted at Xavier having bigger plans in a discussion he was having with Magneto in the cell. To cut off and leave it doesn't make any sense for Xavier.
I wonder how Angel is going to communicate back. My only guess is going to be with Xavier talking to him telepathicy with/without Cerebro.
 

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
Guijllons said:
She's a powerful telepath in the 616, the diamond thing is a secondary mutation. (I think)

Yeah, I gathered that from House of M. But if she is a telepath in Ultimate, Xavier would know. And if Xavier knew she was a telepath he'd have sent a mutant able to protect his thoughts to spy on her.

So I'm gonna guess that Emma ain't a telepath.
 
Last edited:

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
E.Vi.L. said:
Yeah, I gathered that from House of M. But if she is a telepath in Ultimate, Xavier would know. And if Xavier knew she was a telepath he'd have sent a mutant able to protect his thoughts to spy on her.

So I'm gonna guess that Emma ain't a telepath.
For the sake of argument that's a reasonable assumption. Though I feel that a future storyline may speak differently.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
Guijllons said:
For the sake of argument that's a reasonable assumption. Though I feel that a future storyline may speak differently.
I've been thinking the same thing. Someone'll probably show that she also has telepathy. Maybe that writer will do it as she kept that at a low profile so she can do more things without problems or something.
 

Goodwill

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
12,818
Location
Philadelphia, PA
First of all, since I read the spoilers for #65, I noticed that the X-Men are being virtually exiled from pretty much everyone in the UU... I really hope it stays this way, too, because mutants should be hated and disrespected in the world. It makes more sense and it makes for a strong universe. Also, I do believe the X-Men have a vast universe to explore on their own, we don't need to be bothered by SHIELD every other issue. I'm glad this happened.

So, Xavier would've known if Emma was a telepath and if a spy would be ineffective, right? Unless she's a powerful enough telepath to convince Xavier that she isn't... You know, to trap him. I do believe it was Strangefate who pegged her as a villain because of her one-dimensional exterior. This is a possibility that furthers that theory. I actually like the idea of Emma being a villain now, too.

Also, does anyone else think Xavier might be doing all of this on purpose? We already know he's acting selfishly... Perhaps he does not think any useful resource is necessary? Who knows... He's a quack if you ask me.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
icemastertron said:
It is. I believe someone said that Morrison gave her that to "equal" (or whatever the word was) to Colossus since his pitch for bringing Colossus back was rejected.

Me. :D
 

cmdrjanjalani

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
707
If Emma's a telepath, shouldn't she have realized that the Magneto that they captured is an impostor? I doubt she'll respect Magneto's right for privacy after he screwed her students.
 

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
DIrishB said:
I'm a professional bridge burner.

As for Emma being a telepath, wasn't something said by Professor X to the effect she did have mental powers of some kind? Probably during the New Mutants arc.

That'd be news to me.

Nothing was said in New Mutants, and AFAIK in the whole series, to the effect that Emma Frost has telepathy.

The best we got to go on is that when the President asks her to demonstrate her powers she says she can turn to crystal and she's about to add something but is cut off.

If that something else is telepathy, she has missed some golden opportunities to use it.
 
Last edited:

Goodwill

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
12,818
Location
Philadelphia, PA
cmdrjanjalani said:
If Emma's a telepath, shouldn't she have realized that the Magneto that they captured is an impostor? I doubt she'll respect Magneto's right for privacy after he screwed her students.

Well, if she's working for him... Hmm...
 

Blacksword

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
191
cmdrjanjalani said:
If Emma's a telepath, shouldn't she have realized that the Magneto that they captured is an impostor? I doubt she'll respect Magneto's right for privacy after he screwed her students.

For one thing Emma wasn't anywhere near Magneto (even Xavier has to be somewhere near someone to read their mind without Cerebro).

Second Mystique was wearing the telepathy blocking helmet, which is why Jean didn't spot the imposter either. No telepath would have been able to.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Blacksword said:
For one thing Emma wasn't anywhere near Magneto (even Xavier has to be somewhere near someone to read their mind without Cerebro).

Second Mystique was wearing the telepathy blocking helmet, which is why Jean didn't spot the imposter either. No telepath would have been able to.

I'm confused... Emma was in the cell with Erik and there was no helmut... so I think we have some valid points out of cmdrjanjalani.

Emma hasn't shown any telepathic abilities and they should definitely keep it that way. I liked the explanation that the powers have nothing to do with each other so why should she be a telepath?

If she was Syndicate would've been in the arc as a Hellion long before Angel was sent over.
 

Latest posts

Top