Burning bridges (Ultimate X-Men spoilers)

E.Vi.L. said:
That'd be news to me.

Nothing was said in New Mutants, and AFAIK in the whole series, to the effect that Emma Frost has telepathy.

The best we got to go on is that when the President asks her to demonstrate her powers she says she can turn to crystal and she's about to add something but is cut off.

If that something else is telepathy, she has missed some golden opportunities to use it.

Ah, ok. Maybe I'm just assuming that based on her past relationship with Xavier.

BlackSword said:
Jean or Xavier might pick up something screamed in thought, or in jean's case pick up something from Scott casue of their bond, but as a rule there's never been the impression that Jean or Xavier are perpetually readin the minds of those around them.

Not true. Remember Jean and Beast's conversation about her knowing his secret fantasies, as well as the other X-Men's? I forget the issue or arc, but it was obviously before New Mutants, as after that Beast was dead.

EVIL also brought up good points about Xavier supposedly not reading people's minds.

Has anyone considered the logical reasons why Emma shouldn't have telepathy might just be plot holes?

icemastertron said:
What do you mean? Elaborate.
There are a lot of scenes where a telepath should have reacted differently than Emma did.
For example:
-A telepath should have passively been able to sense that Havok was going to attempt his vigilanty mission to save Polaris or at least that he had left the school.
-A telepath should have been able to sense it wasn't Magneto in the cell. Although, SHIELD telepaths should have telepathicly interogated Magneto to determine how he mastermind that plan and detected the switch. This makes me think his cell might be shielded against telepathy.
-It would have been more reasonable to have telepathic conversation via cerebro between Emma and Charles, instead of a comlink.
-Sending a student to spy on telepath is a foolish idea. Since, she should be able to passively pick up his disseat.

While these are all indicators that she isn't a telepath, they might just be plot wholes

MaxwellSmart said:
There are a lot of scenes where a telepath should have reacted differently than Emma did.
For example:
-A telepath should have passively been able to sense that Havok was going to attempt his vigilanty mission to save Polaris or at least that he had left the school.
-A telepath should have been able to sense it wasn't Magneto in the cell. Although, SHIELD telepaths should have telepathicly interogated Magneto to determine how he mastermind that plan and detected the switch. This makes me think his cell might be shielded against telepathy.
-It would have been more reasonable to have telepathic conversation via cerebro between Emma and Charles, instead of a comlink.
-Sending a student to spy on telepath is a foolish idea. Since, she should be able to passively pick up his disseat.

While these are all indicators that she isn't a telepath, they might just be plot wholes
Well, not necessarily. It could be that she doesn't use her powers like that, or that she knows things but is waiting for the right moment to say something about it. Remember that she's not the same as 616 Emma who would use her powers like that.

MaxwellSmart said:

So... basically you jumped in the debate without having read what came before?

Yeah, that's the crux of the debate and precisely what we've been arguing about for the last 2 page or so.

Last edited:
She might not be a telepath, in fact, I doubt it... BUT I do think we should question her motives. After the last issue of Magnetic North, you've gotta ask where her head is at. I think it's good that Xavier sent Angel on over there to check up on her.

Goodwill said:
I think it's good that Xavier sent Angel on over there to check up on her.

It's good in a soap opera kind of way.

Next on the Young and the Mutant : Brothers are at each other throat. A great betrayal is revealed and two lovers are torn apart by their loyalty to their respective mentors. And a pair of guest stars sibling reveal their incestuous love to the world. Stay tuned!

:lol:

You know, I think I'd watch that!

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
So... basically you jumped in the debate without having read what came before?

Yeah, that's the crux of the debate and precisely what we've been arguing about for the last 2 page or so.

I wasn't trying to summarize the last two pages of post. I was pointing out that these irregularities might not be signs she isn't a telepath, just plot holes.

E.Vi.L. said:
It's good in a soap opera kind of way.

Next on the Young and the Mutant : Brothers are at each other throat. A great betrayal is revealed and two lovers are torn apart by their loyalty to their respective mentors. And a pair of guest stars sibling reveal their incestuous love to the world. Stay tuned!

:lol:

You know, I think I'd watch that!

Put 'em on an island and you've practically got Lost.

But seriously. I'm not sure if this is particularly talk for this thread, but does anyone else feel that Mystique being introduced just to be locked up is sad? We've been waiting for her to appear and do some damage in the UXM title, but now she's in SHIELD custody. Not two or three issues within her first appearance, she's done. **** I wish that never happened.

No, I think that this Magneto switch is great. Especially since I called it weeks before we got to see it.

But we all know she will eventually escape at about the same time Magneto is reintroduce his new plan.

Well I sure hope so. As much as I like the twist, I would much rather have a cool character like Mystique around. She seemed young and unsure of herself, possibly doubting Magneto, as Forge once did... There are a lot of ways to take her character and I would think Singer would take advantage of it since he's comfortable with the character.

Latest posts

Back