Burning bridges (Ultimate X-Men spoilers)

If Emma was a telepath, yes she *could* have detected Mystique when she went to see "Magneto". *BUT* that doesn't mean she would have automatically detected that unless she was using her powers.

As for Emma being or not being a telepath, don't mind either way.

Whoops, forgot about the scene in the cell...

But given that she was angry she may have been distracted, and she doesn't seem as invasive as Xavier.... so who knows.

Also, I tend to think most telepaths would avoid just randomly reading Magneto's mind because he'd be sure to notice. He did work with the world's greatest telepath for years and design a helmet to keep him out. Plus going back to Ultimate War we have Jean's father mentioning that you can sense when a telepath is rumaging through your brain. If old man Grey can detect it Magneto certainly could.

So we haven't really proven anything again.

It'll really depend on whether any later writers will want to pick up on that cut off sentace from Bendis' run.

Blacksword said:
Also, I tend to think most telepaths would avoid just randomly reading Magneto's mind because he'd be sure to notice.

Oh no! The prisoner could notice I'm reading his mind. Boo hoo hoo.

What's he gonna do, sue? Be more of an enemy?

On the other hand he could have other plans concerning Emma's ward.

Hum, risks VS benefits... Maybe I've played too much poker, but it seems like a no-brainer to me!

Ultimate E said:
No she wasn't.

*flips page of UXM 65*

Yes she was.

Last edited:
:roll:

Please tell me that your point isn't that she is, in fact, in a cell with Mystique and not Magneto!

The whole argument is precisely that she would have found that out if she was a telepath by reading "Magneto's" mind.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Please tell me that your point isn't that she is, in fact, in a cell with Mystique and not Magneto!

Um, no.

E.Vi.L. said:
The whole argument is precisely that she would have found that out if she was a telepath by reading "Magneto's" mind.

Yeah, I got that - thanks.

TheManWithoutFear said:
So are you saying she wasn't "in" the cell with another person or she wasn't in the cell with "magneto" Like it matters the cell's not telepathy proof.

EDIT: Wait... is it?
Who me? :?

TheManWithoutFear said:
So are you saying she wasn't "in" the cell with another person or she wasn't in the cell with "magneto" Like it matters the cell's not telepathy proof.

It wasn't Magneto. That's all I was saying, and it had nothing to do with the discussion going on.

TheManWithoutFear said:
:cry: God!! What the hell is going on!?

I have no clue.

You mentioned Emma being in the cell with Magneto. All I did was point out that it wasn't Magneto. E.Vi.L. apparently got more out of that then I put into it. I wasn't making a joke and I wasn't chiming in on the discussion he was talking about; just making a point.

UltimateE said:
I have no clue.

You mentioned Emma being in the cell with Magneto. All I did was point out that it wasn't Magneto. E.Vi.L. apparently got more out of that then I put into it. I wasn't making a joke and I wasn't chiming in on the discussion he was talking about; just making a point.

ahhhh Stop talking E!! You took away Jtg and Jqp... I'm very frustrated and have no one to vent on! :evil:

AND YES! THAT'S SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC! :arrgh:

My point about Magneto being able to tell when his mind's being read, was that most telepath's wouldn't bother unless they had good reaon to. A) This Emma doesn't seem the type to casually read someone's mind if she were a telepath B) It's not something you'd tend to do because that would get Magneto rather angry for no good reason C) Emma has no reason to read Magneto's mind, she's there to chew him out, not get at his deepest darkest secrets. Even Xavier in his chats never spoke to Erik with his mind or attempted to read it... because he'd know well that this would immediately cause Erik to react violently and ask for him to be thrown out. Reading Magneto's mind would in most circumstances be counter-productive.

And as I said she had no reason to. It's already been established that the trained telepath's don't walk around reading the minds of everyone they're areound, at least those trained by Xavier. Jean or Xavier might pick up something screamed in thought, or in jean's case pick up something from Scott casue of their bond, but as a rule there's never been the impression that Jean or Xavier are perpetually readin the minds of those around them. All indications and dialogue has been to the contrary. The only time they read minds is when the set out to do so on purpose.

Blacksword said:
And as I said she had no reason to. It's already been established that the trained telepath's don't walk around reading the minds of everyone they're areound, at least those trained by Xavier. Jean or Xavier might pick up something screamed in thought, or in jean's case pick up something from Scott casue of their bond, but as a rule there's never been the impression that Jean or Xavier are perpetually readin the minds of those around them. All indications and dialogue has been to the contrary. The only time they read minds is when the set out to do so on purpose.

Pfft. Xavier is full of it. When Beast left the team and Scott asked him if he sensed something that could explain it, he said he didn't snoop in his student's brain because it was unethical.

But hey, when Bobby came back from a vacation with his old girlfriend a few issues earlier, Xavier checked his mind. A good move since Bobby had spilled the beans about the school and he then had to erase his mind and that of his girlfriend. But he sure didn't ask Bobby's permission before scanning his thoughts.

Bottom line, Xavier checks into people mind whenever it suits his purpose. He didn't check Beast at the time because he had no reason to suspect him, that's all.

As for Jean, she is constantly picking up things that people "scream" in their mind. Xavier who is a more powerful telepath than she is never does. Weird huh? Most logical explanation is that Jean checks surface thought as a matter of fact and whenever she get caught snooping she blames the victim and say he/she was being too obvious or "sreaming" the thought.

As for Emma, I wouldn't expect her to be more of a straight arrow than Xavier. She obviously has an incoherent moral code. For example, she claims to be more of a pacifist than Xavier yet she is for the death penalty while Xavier isn't. Not exactly kosher, for a pacifist. I don't see why she'd be more solid on the ethics of mind readings.

---

As an aside, it occurs to me that Emma would never have been chosen as a replacement for Xavier by the president if she was a telepath. The whole problem in New Mutant was caused by the fact that the hardliners were convinced that Xavier was mind controlling the president.

So if Emma is a teleptah, she fooled the US government and all the checks they are sure to have made on her.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back