Buzzscope Previews Ultimate X-Men #65

I liked hearing Longshot say "We muties look after our own, flatscan." Personally, I was waiting for colossus to come up behind her and rip her arms off, but the perfect necksnap was cool too. When I read magneto saying, "My friends, welcome to endgame." I couldn't help but think of Beyond Thunderdome.

I'm half expecting to find out Mystiques mission was to go kill Fury or something like that. The theory that she's going to replace Magneto in Jail has it flaws. I have to assume that after significant tests or telepathic intrusion they would be able to detect that she is not Magneto. Although, the switch might be part of trap he is setting up for the X-Men and Ultimates, which would fit in nicely with the endgame comment.

I think this is going to be a great issue. The only thing that could ruin it at this point would be for him to leave a ton of questions left unanswered or for him to have everyone survives and magneto gets captured and sent back to his cell.

MaxwellSmart said:
The theory that she's going to replace Magneto in Jail has it flaws. I have to assume that after significant tests or telepathic intrusion they would be able to detect that she is not Magneto.

By the time they are done with their tests, he could be in another country. That alone is enough to justify the ploy. And if they just assume they have the right guy, it could take weeks. Real life law enforcement make stupid mistake all the time and they don't even have the excuse of shapeshifters to befuddle them. SHIELD ain't perfect.

When they found Cap, they made no test to ascertain that the guy was the real deal, as we learnt in Ultimate 8. Finding a guy wearing his uniform floating in a block of ice near the area he was lost was enough of an ID for them. See what I mean?

Last edited:
Guijllons said:
I don't think Thor would leave if he could. He has a point to prove.

And who else is in there at the moment? Goblin is in stasis somewhere else (I think), Doc Ock is no longer a threat so probably not there. So it's just a few other minor spidey thugs. Or am I missing someone?

Well, if the timelines do match up, then Cap should in custody. :? I can just see him handing Thor his belt back--the two idealists of the whole bunch--and rallying the Ultimates against the threat in Grand Theft America.

Guijllons said:
Wonder what Arthur saw.
My guess? He saw Mystique, disguised as Magneto, returning to "his" cell. What could possibly shock that pro-mutant bigot more than the sight of the world's foremost mutant supremacist apparently surrendring himself to human authority?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Then again why would they even need to have "A" Magneto still be in his cell?

Er.... so that nobodies out there looking for the real Magneto. Would have thought that was pretty obvious really.

Anyway, I'm trying to think what it was Longshot saw. Who else is locked up there? Could it have been.... Thor?

I really don't think that would be happening, for a lot of reasons. One of them being that Magneto's cell isn't on that level.

I think whatever he saw had to have something to do with the current story. Unless we don't see Longshot again in the issue. Just gonna be another "who's Jean talking to?".

Perhaps Emma turned up.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Er.... so that nobodies out there looking for the real Magneto. Would have thought that was pretty obvious really.

But the point is that Magneto is hardly a "behind the scenes" kind of guy. Eventually - and soon, probably - they'll find out he's out, making the fake jailed Mags a moot point.

UltimateE said:
But the point is that Magneto is hardly a "behind the scenes" kind of guy. Eventually - and soon, probably - they'll find out he's out, making the fake jailed Mags a moot point.

Yes but, by the time they do realise he's out, Mags could be long gone. There's a huge difference between trying to escape with the Ultimates and SHIELD on your tail immediately, or escaping with a succesful headstart. Of course they'd soon realise the real Mags is missing, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be for a couple days, by which time, Mags is deep in hiding.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Yes but, by the time they do realise he's out, Mags could be long gone. There's a huge difference between trying to escape with the Ultimates and SHIELD on your tail immediately, or escaping with a succesful headstart. Of course they'd soon realise the real Mags is missing, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be for a couple days, by which time, Mags is deep in hiding.

Seriously it's just stupid for Mystique to take his place for a day or two? Magneto's one of the most powerful mutants in the world SHIELD can barely touch him. It's not like they're taking out the GG whose just an idiot with his powers. Magneto has powers that can be used effectively and he knows how to use them. I doubt he gives a **** they know he's escaped. They put him in a plastic cell for x amount of months they're scared of him and for good reason. SHIELD finding out about Magneto as soon as he steps out of the cell is no different than SHIELD finding out about him 2 days after. Once he's out they're ****ed.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Seriously it's just stupid for Mystique to take his place for a day or two? Magneto's one of the most powerful mutants in the world SHIELD can barely touch him. It's not like they're taking out the GG whose just an idiot with his powers. Magneto has powers that can be used effectively and he knows how to use them. I doubt he gives a **** they know he's escaped. They put him in a plastic cell for x amount of months they're scared of him and for good reason. SHIELD finding out about Magneto as soon as he steps out of the cell is no different than SHIELD finding out about him 2 days after. Once he's out they're ****ed.

Hey, fair enough. It wasn't my argument in the first place, I was just accepting it as a possibility.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Damn. That was well put. I can't argue against that. Not that I would; I agree completely. :D

TheManWithoutFear said:

The only agents of SHIELD capable of taking on magneto would be the Ultimates who at this point are out of commission. So, whatever distraction Mystique might provide would have to be for the benefit of the X-Men. If Magneto wanted Mystique to distract the X-Men she would have to be able to prevent Jean from identifying her. That's why I think that Magneto is the one providing the distraction for Mystique. So that she take on a mission that might otherwise be thwarted by the X-Men.

One tid bit that we give creedance to the switch idea is that we haven't seen the magnetic generator in part 5 yet.

Hey, Magneto is not invincible.

He tried the open confrontation schtick twice. Remember how that went? 0-2 for Mag. Why the heck would he seriously not care whether his captors know if he is free or not? Because he craves a third defeat before he can gets his organization going? Is that it?

I think he's had it with that crap. If the whole of Ultimates and X-Men fall on him while he's in the open, early in his escape, the same damn thing will happen as the last two times.

Instead, he is dividing the X-Men and the Ultimates and possibly playing for time with a subterfuge that could allow him to re-emerge in a position of stremght instead of being forced into a confrontation too early. Sun Tzu said that you shoudl only take to the field once you have already won the battle. And a good Poker player (I ain't half bad) knows that you only go to the show down when you think you have the best hand (When I won my last tournament, I had won 87% of my showdowns, and the 13% I lost were usually pots of no consequence). You do that through deception and ruse. Not by inviting the confrontation when you are holding low cards.

If the Ultimates fall for the ploy and shove Mystqieu back in the cell thinking they've got their man, it could win him days, weeks or even months.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Hey, Magneto is not invincible.

He tried the open confrontation schtick twice. Remember how that went? 0-2 for Mag. Why the heck would he seriously not care whether his captors know if he is free or not? Because he craves a third defeat before he can gets his organization going? Is that it?

I think he's had it with that crap. If the whole of Ultimates and X-Men fall on him while he's in the open, early in his escape, the same damn thing will happen as the last two times.

Instead, he is dividing the X-Men and the Ultimates and possibly playing for time with a subterfuge that could allow him to re-emerge in a position of stremght instead of being forced into a confrontation too early. Sun Tzu said that you shoudl only take to the field once you have already won the battle. And a good Poker player (I ain't half bad) knows that you only go to the show down when you think you have the best hand (When I won my last tournament, I had won 87% of my showdowns, and the 13% I lost were usually pots of no consequence). You do that through deception and ruse.

If the Ultimates fall for the ploy and shove Mystqieu back in the cell thinking they've got their man, it could win him days, weeks or even months.
I said my piece. I'm stickin' to the fact that Magneto out in the open has the advantage over a great number of people. I don't think it's going to be something as trivial as Mystique taking his place in the cell. They could all easily escape at this point no reason to lose probably one of the best players on ur team.

I also didn't give you props for calling the Longshot thing the entire time. Good work, and it's fitting because I brought your theory up at this site as sort of you unofficial introduction.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I also didn't give you props for calling the Longshot thing the entire time. Good work, and it's fitting because I brought your theory up at this site as sort of you unofficial introduction.

Yeah, well, I give you prop for De Wolff.

And I bet I'm right this time too! :wink:

Latest posts

Back