Captain America: Civil War News/Rumors discussion

Ant-Man was in the trailer!

12239522_1242796492403587_8977943849659325343_n.jpg

I-Is that real?

I find that "so was I" line really revealing of Tony's character. He honestly believes that he and Cap are friends when in every film they've been in it is made pretty clear that Steve barely tolerates Tony and probably only does so because of Howard. It also reminds me of another one of Tony's "friends", Obadiah Stane. Tony thought Stane was someone he could fully trust and liked him when he also couldn't stand Tony. I think Marvel knows that too which is why "divided we fall" is the tag line which also gives it more of an emphasis on the Avengers as a whole. I'm really curious to see how this all plays out and am so relieved that the comic has next to nothing to do with it.

I find that "so was I" line really revealing of Tony's character. He honestly believes that he and Cap are friends when in every film they've been in it is made pretty clear that Steve barely tolerates Tony and probably only does so because of Howard. It also reminds me of another one of Tony's "friends", Obadiah Stane. Tony thought Stane was someone he could fully trust and liked him when he also couldn't stand Tony. I think Marvel knows that too which is why "divided we fall" is the tag line which also gives it more of an emphasis on the Avengers as a whole. I'm really curious to see how this all plays out and am so relieved that the comic has next to nothing to do with it.
Very good observation!

And man, that line is so heartbreaking!! :cry:

Very good observation!

And man, that line is so heartbreaking!! :cry:

Thanks, I was more trying to start a discussion though lol.

It really feels like everyone is giving it their all in this unlike a certain recent blockbuster that will not be mentioned.

He honestly believes that he and Cap are friends when in every film they've been in it is made pretty clear that Steve barely tolerates Tony and probably only does so because of Howard.

I never got that sense from anything after about halfway through Avengers.

I never got that sense from anything after about halfway through Avengers.

Right, while Tony and Steve were butting heads early on, and even into the second movie, it isn't the only defining aspect of their relationship. There's a begrudging respect between them, but they represent different polarities of morality and views on right and wrong or how to go about that, even in the MCU.

But people claiming they're not friends is silly. The kind of bond formed through the battles they've been through together is pretty strong, I'm sure, despite their differences of opinion.

I'm not seeing the friendship. Thor and Selvig were friends, Natasha and Clint are friends, Bruce and Tony are friends, and Steve and Sam are friends, but Tony and Steve act like work mates. I think people are having the comics indicate things. Sort of how Thanos is supposed to be a threat, but is actually kind of really lame in the MCU. I would be more then happy to be proven wrong though.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing the friendship. Thor and Selvig were friends, Natasha and Clint are friends, Bruce and Tony are friends, and Steve and Sam are friends, but Tony and Steve act like work mates.

As I said, going through battle, surviving together, and knowing you can rely on that person to have your back/save your life (even if you have very different personalities/outlooks) creates an intrinsic trust, reliance, and respect. I think it certainly qualifies as friendship. Yes, it's a different kind of friendship than Tony has with Bruce Banner, but a friendship and respect nonetheless.

I think people are having the comics indicate things.

Not really. Least I'm not since I don't even read the comics anymore, and have never really read 616 Marvel.

Sort of how Thanos is supposed to be a threat, but is actually kind of really lame in the MCU. I would be more then happy to be proven wrong though.

Not sure how you qualify him as "really lame". You do love exaggerating, eh?

He's already been shown to command a massive army of Chitauri, subjugated one of the strongest beings in the MCU universe (Ronan so far), and has managed to obtain the Gauntlet and is focused on acquiring the rest of the stones.

He's perfectly in line with the comic counterpart so far, but just hasn't gotten the chance to show off the extent of his powers because, you know, Marvel is going with the slow burn approach of him as the big bad, only dropping hints and short scenes and slowly revealing more about him over the coming films before Infinity War.

The thing is, you know this, and the logic behind the approach, but are finding fault anyway. ;)

Tony: More on this when I get my computer booted up because I've realized there is a lot more going on with Tony and typing it on a tablet would be a pain in the butt. Also what you described is workmates. They get along and respect each other.

Thanos: how is he NOT lame? Ronan turned his back on him the second he could and Thanos just let him, Loki got taken out like the little twerp he is, and for all we know he had his gauntlet sitting around in his living room since the other one is locked in Odin's vault. He's done nothing but sit in his chair and has shown off none of his power while everyone he sends gets taken out. My point was that Marvel has done nothing to show that he is a threat or even an interesting character. The fact that you said he is in line with his comic counterpart shows that the comics are influencing your view of him. He was awesome in the comics, but MCU Thanos is lame.

Tony: More on this when I get my computer booted up because I've realized there is a lot more going on with Tony and typing it on a tablet would be a pain in the butt. Also what you described is workmates. They get along and respect each other.

And they also hang out outside of work, as evidenced by the party in Age of Ultron... and the schawarma scene in the first film. So, sure, workmates, work buddies, friends, etc. It goes far beyond just the workmates angle, again, because most people don't depend on their co-workers to save them from potentially life-threatening attacks on a regular basis. At best, closest comparison would be squad mates or something, Army buddies.

Still an extremely close bond no matter how you try to slant it. ;)

Thanos: how is he NOT lame? Ronan turned his back on him the second he could and Thanos just let him, Loki got taken out like the little twerp he is, and for all we know he had his gauntlet sitting around in his living room since the other one is locked in Odin's vault. He's done nothing but sit in his chair and has shown off none of his power while everyone he sends gets taken out.

You literally just described how Machiavellian Thanos is.

My point was that Marvel has done nothing to show that he is a threat or even an interesting character. The fact that you said he is in line with his comic counterpart shows that the comics are influencing your view of him. He was awesome in the comics, but MCU Thanos is lame.

I have an impression of the character from the comics, sure, but I can honestly say outside of the current Secret Wars and the OLD Secret Wars from the 1980's, I've literally never read a comic with the character beyond those (and Ultimate Thanos in Ult FF). I am aware of the character through conversation, internet, etc. From what little has been shown of the character in the MCU, he is in line with his comic version as far as I know (which is admittedly limited).

Your logic isn't sound, however. You're essentially accusing Thanos of being lame or not doing anything yet, which is exactly the point. He's been playing puppet master and allowing his underlings to carry out his whims for him. They kept failing, so now he's stepping in. Essentially you're accusing him of not doing anything specifically because he hasn't been the antagonistic focus of a film yet. He's literally appeared in probably less than 5 minutes of the MCU total. So making judgements on that seems entirely... premature. How about actually waiting for Infinity War (when Thanos is the actual villain/main attraction) before making presumptions/judgements? ;)

Last edited:
I guess I'm more worried that they won't pay it off/I'm getting tired of waiting. I've read Starlin's stuff and way beyond, I know Thanos is badass and I'm getting impatient when GOTG is the most we've ever gotten.

A Lego catalogue for Civil War Lego sets may have revealed a big spoiler for the film:

Giant Man! Link

Presumably just
to kill him
. Seems like
a waste

Latest posts

Back