Captain America Movie

Look at Batman Begins, though Joker is much more recognized as Batman's Major villain, Ras Al Ghul can substitute and still make a great movie. Studios usually put their best foot forward having the number one villain appeardoesn't mean it has to.
As I said above, Batman CHEATS.

He has a great rogue's gallery and can therefore have movies where he features a villain like Ras Al Ghul who is an 'arch-nemesis' and a valid threat and also iconic... but nobody but fans know him.

Damn you Batman.

It's not a style, it's an observation you should make based on fact that you can't assume someone has disagreed with something simply because he hasn't said it... even if he has disagreed with all the other points.

The problem I've always had with that is that you end up having diminishing guns.

Unless you happen to be Batman, who has the luxury of choosing varied big guns for each film... which is why it was still possible to do a film that didn't have Two-Face or Joker in it (and admit it, Ras al Ghul ISN'T an iconic Batman villain to the general public, and neither is the Scarecrow)

Singer on the other hand, was smart because he found a villain (Stryker, and the support of a large American black ops division) that was just as threatening as Magneto, but still thematically resonant.

But in any case, a big gun nemesis is a problem if you have nothing left to play for future movies. At this point, I'm not talking about how this theory applies to Cap (and honestly, I DO think Cap would need a decent gun in his first movie, Red Skull or otherwise) but to superhero movies in general.

Think of a hypothetical Daredevil trilogy that has him facing Elektra in a lovers or enemies movie, only to end with her being killed by Bullseye... and then Bullseye is the villain of a personal nature (OMG! You killed my girl!) and then his defeat leads to the Kingpin.

Let's say we're not looking at a Captain America movie as a one off thing, what do you do after Red Skull? Diamondback? Batroc the Leaper?

IMO, one way of giving Cap REAL threats without taking away from Red Skull would be to have HYDRA or AIM thrown into his movie stories, while injecting them with a palpably real world sensibility a la 24.

That's problem either way, Cap has kinda of a weak rogues gallery, most heroes do, except Batman and Spider-Man.

The thing is the Skull wouldn't work as the villain in a second movie. The thing with Skull is, you have to establish him in the 40s and in the present to work as the villain, the thing is there is supposed to a timeless nature to their struggle. If you have him in the second movie, it would same like a rehash if Klesier if he is the first movie's villain, another Nazi from the past. It seem out of the blue if the Red Skull just showed in the second movie.

That would awkward. No one Cap needs to fight one Nazi villain in the first movie and I think the Skull would be better choice than Klesier.

It would be hard to do a Cap sequel either way, the best suggestion is for him to fight a terrorist group, like you just mentioned.

Last edited:
There's a lot of great discussion going on here.

I'd keep the aliens outta this.

If anything, I'd have the Nazis have develop their own brand of super solider serum. And like Cap...only Red Skull's DNA took to the serum. And have Cap fight an army of genetically faulted super Nazis.

This is exactly what they need to do for the movie. The only thing is, should they have Cap frozen in the first film or not? Should the first movie have entirely a WWII setting, or should it take a cue from the 1992 Cap movie and have him thawed out in the middle (1992 Cap movie minus the suckness, minus the Italian Red Skull-ness)?

EDIT: Yeah, I just read that Avi Arad is making it set in WWII and contemporary times.

Last edited:
CBR:

It is wholly without corroboration, but Cinema Blend has a new rumor that actor Matthew McConaughey is in the running to play Steve Rogers.

Either someone is on crack or this is a very late April Fool's joke.

CBR:

It is wholly without corroboration, but Cinema Blend has a new rumor that actor Matthew McConaughey is in the running to play Steve Rogers.

Clearly someone is dazed and confused. It's pure casting fool's gold.

I hope that negotiation results in a failure to launch, as I sincerely believe they should lose the guy in ten days.

Then again, like Cap, he did boys on the side.

Last edited:
This has to be a joke. I don't think I can take another year of worrying and insisting they're ****ing up a superhero movie and casting it horribly while another group clamours that he'll somehow be brilliant and a third claims he's gay.

But yes, that's a gross, stupid choice. I'd want an unknown to play him, most likely.

I hope that negotiation results in a failure to launch, as I sincerely believe they should lose the guy in ten days.

EdTV.

Last edited by a moderator:
But yes, that's a gross, stupid choice. I'd want an unknown to play him, most likely.
I don't mind a star or a minor known actor.

Just so long as he goes completely ape**** and turns out a performance that resembles nothing we've ever seen before.

Take Ewan McGregor. Who'd have thunk a drug addled Scotsman from Trainspotting would end up playing retro-American everymen in Down with Love, Big Fish and a stage production of Guys and Dolls?

CBR:

I pointed this out yesterday.

matthewmcconaughey_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg

As I said in the Marvel Movie Reporting Thread, I can see it... It wouldn't be my top choice, but I wouldn't rip out my hair or anything like that.

I just don't see him playing Cap/Steve Rogers. He doesn't have the look, no matter what shirtless pic anyone posts.

I don't mind a star or a minor known actor.

Just so long as he goes completely ape**** and turns out a performance that resembles nothing we've ever seen before.

Of course.

I pointed this out yesterday.

matthewmcconaughey_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg

As I said in the Marvel Movie Reporting Thread, I can see it... It wouldn't be my top choice, but I wouldn't rip out my hair or anything like that.

If they were going to go in that direction, I'd MUCH sooner use Josh Holloway.

I just don't see him playing Cap/Steve Rogers. He doesn't have the look, no matter what shirtless pic anyone posts.

I think its just the opposite that makes me nervous. I think he's got the look down pretty okay... I mean, he doesn't look the most like captain america i've ever seen, but just going with looks, he could be alright.

He has just never proven himself to be a great actor, and after Edward Norton and Robert Downey Jr taking the first two slots in the Avengers, you really need Cap to be played by a truly great actor.

I keep wanting to say I want Brad Pitt in the role, but he's not quite right either. But if they did cast him, I'd at least be able to comfort myself that this is someone who can hold his own next to RDjr.

I really think they need to go with someone younger. But really I want them to pick the best possible actor to play Cap himself.

not only that, but Cap is from where, brooklyn, bronx? McConaughey has always had this country accent no matter what he plays. I'm not ready to see Cap as a good ole boy saving america from the hands of the nazi's.

Matt Damon or Aaron Eckhart are my choices.

not only that, but Cap is from where, brooklyn, bronx? McConaughey has always had this country accent no matter what he plays. I'm not ready to see Cap as a good ole boy saving america from the hands of the nazi's.

Matt Damon or Aaron Eckhart are my choices.

I mentioned his accent in the Reporting thread. It's really aparent in his acting. Personally I'd like to see Mark Whalberg or Damon in the role.

I mentioned his accent in the Reporting thread. It's really aparent in his acting. Personally I'd like to see Mark Whalberg or Damon in the role.

Yeah, I could see Whalberg.

On another note, I'd like to see Christopher Rich as Hank Pym and Paul Walker as Hawkeye.

Cap has to be the "serious business" Avenger. Tony and Thor are both good-natured, Banner's brooding, and Ant-Man and the Wasp are dysfunctional. Cap needs to be the one that takes charge. I really don't think Matthew McConaughey has that edge.

Cap has to be the "serious business" Avenger. Tony and Thor are both good-natured, Banner's brooding, and Ant-Man and the Wasp are dysfunctional. Cap needs to be the one that takes charge. I really don't think Matthew McConaughey has that edge.

Bongos.

Winner

Anyway, I think the look's right, but I really have to worry if Matty Mac has the chops to pull off the role. I'm of the mind that Captain America should be treated more like an action hero and less like a superhero.

Planet-Man said:
John Krazinski as Captain America.

Thoughts?

Nah. I have no problem with Cap being a little older. He needs to be able to stand on his own against Downey and Norton, who are all a little older. The main thing is, he needs to be a serious hard-***.

Willem Dafoe should play Red Skull. They won't even need to do any makeup work for his face. They'll just need to do makeup work to have him look like a normal human being for the pre-Red Skull scenes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back