Captain America Movie

Nah. I have no problem with Cap being a little older. He needs to be able to stand on his own against Downey and Norton, who are all a little older. The main thing is, he needs to be a serious hard-***.

Same here, Hollywood cast 25 year olds as high schoolers all the time, 30 year olds could pull off an early to mid 20's Cap easily.

Willem Dafoe should play Red Skull. They won't even need to do any makeup work for his face. They'll just need to do makeup work to have him look like a normal human being for the pre-Red Skull scenes.

You could cut a roast on Dafoe's face.

Last edited:
Cap has to be the "serious business" Avenger. Tony and Thor are both good-natured, Banner's brooding, and Ant-Man and the Wasp are dysfunctional. Cap needs to be the one that takes charge. I really don't think Matthew McConaughey has that edge.
Agreed.

Eckhardt.... Pitt... Wahlberg... these people are all way too old(and all wrong IMO) for a Cap origin. He's got to be in his 20s....
I also agree with this.

Oh my.

John Krazinski as Captain America.

Thoughts?
Hmmm.

Maybe?

John Krazinski as Captain America.

Thoughts?

Absolutely not. I like him fine in The Office, but he is in no way appropriate for the role.

Personally, I think the youngest they can cast in the role is someone in his late 20's. Someone younger just couldn't hold his own next to RDjr. Let alone order him around when they hit the battlefield.

I hope they address Cap's Origins, but only briefly. I don't want this to be an origin story, I want it to be more "Cap is fighting in WW2, gets blown up in an explosion and the world thinks he's dead." Then Nick Fury and Bruce Banner ressurect him in the present, and he finds out that somehow The Red Skull, who was responsible for him getting blown up, is still active. Or they could use Baron Von Strucker and Hydra. But still, when the movie starts I sincerely hope it starts with a huge WW2 battle... Then in the present it can flash back to WW2 as often as it needs to.

I want them to take a lot from The Ultimates, but at the same time I want the character to be more like 616 Cap.

I do think John Krasinski would be perfect casting for a slightly older, post-college, maybe-married Spider-Man, if they were looking to pursue that direction in the next set of Spider-Man movies, or a Marvel Knights thing. I might even be able to see him pulling off a character like Hank Pym.

I can only think of one value in casting Krasinski as Cap. I don't know where his family originally comes from, but his name sounds vaguely Slavic. I think there'd be some virtue in portraying the film version of Cap as, say, a second or third generation patriotic Polish American during a time when xenophobia was so strong. There's just something profoundly disturbing in the origins of Captain America. I mean, apparently America's response to the rise of Nazism is to chemically create a blonde-haired, blue eyed embodiment of the Nazi Ubermensch. That strikes me as odd. I have to feel that when that guy hit the battle field and his fellow soldiers see the American prototype superhero looks like the poster child for German propaganda, it would be treated with trepidation by the Allies, and awe by the Axis. In the original origin of the character, the formula is conceived by a scientist with a German name which can't be reproduced because of his death. In the Ultimate version, there's just something genetically awesome about the blue-blondey that makes it so the formula won't take with anyone else. There's a reason why he drapes himself in a gigantic American flag, folks. It's so his allies don't mistake him for a nazi and riddle him with bullets.

And then there's the height of American comic book propaganda, in which we have a blue-eyed, blonde-haired soldier in peak physical condition punching a stereotypically weak-bodied and scheming Jew right in the face. If you can't recognize the irony in that then all I have to say is, you might want to have a doctor (excuse me, "Doktor") check out that swastika carved into your chest. It looks like it might be infected.

captainamerica1.jpg

What it doesn't show is two seconds later, when Hitler spontaneously ejaculates from excitement.

"Ach! Mein trousers!"

In conclusion, Captain America is way too silly to exist anymore.

Last edited:
What about Daniel Craig as Cap?

:shock: I think that's perfect.

I think a movie called "Captain America" is going to be a hard sale to a large segment of the general movie-going public. It just sounds terribly cheesy. And, as a superhero, Cap doesn't really have that "wow" level you get from seeing Spidey swing through New York City, or Hulk tearing **** up, or Iron Man tooling around in the sports car version of body armor. The strongest way to tell the Captain America is to tailor it as a balls-to-the-wall action movie. I mean, his level of heroics are something typical of the action hero hardass who doesn't have super powers, and setting the whole story during WWII under the cover of a dramatic, blow-****-up action epic is the best way to highlight this.

The other reason is that I don't feel Captain America really has the legs to maintain a film franchise. You can get one, maybe two films out of him, but he's critical to the chemistry of an Avengers team, and given the new title for his movie, it looks like they're establishing his story as a direct prequel to the Avengers. Meaning, that if you set the entirety of the Captain America movie in WWII, with maybe a tease of his recovery by Nick Fury at the end, you have an easy in to use him as the primary perspective character for the Avengers film. You have a point-of-view character to which the modern Marvel world is as fresh and foreign (moreso, even) as it is to the viewer who comes into the movie without any background. Captain America, then, can be a direct prequel to the Avengers movies, with the other films being more indirect sequels. So, the Abomination formula which you could reuse to make a Hulk baddie for the film feeds from Hulk into Avengers and back into Captain America, without requiring you having seen any of these movies to enjoy Avengers. Same with Iron Man and the Mandarin.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. I like him fine in The Office, but he is in no way appropriate for the role.

Personally, I think the youngest they can cast in the role is someone in his late 20's. Someone younger just couldn't hold his own next to RDjr. Let alone order him around when they hit the battlefield.

I hope they address Cap's Origins, but only briefly. I don't want this to be an origin story, I want it to be more "Cap is fighting in WW2, gets blown up in an explosion and the world thinks he's dead." Then Nick Fury and Bruce Banner ressurect him in the present, and he finds out that somehow The Red Skull, who was responsible for him getting blown up, is still active. Or they could use Baron Von Strucker and Hydra. But still, when the movie starts I sincerely hope it starts with a huge WW2 battle... Then in the present it can flash back to WW2 as often as it needs to.

I want them to take a lot from The Ultimates, but at the same time I want the character to be more like 616 Cap.

His origin should be summed up in a two minute clip done in the style of 40s newsreels shown before the opening credits.

Too English.

And I love Daniel Craig. Its so hard for me not to use him in dreamcasting.

Nah. I have no problem with Cap being a little older. He needs to be able to stand on his own against Downey and Norton, who are all a little older. The main thing is, he needs to be a serious hard-***.

I still think you can easily find somebody in their late 20s who's confident, intelligent and tough enough to be able to show them up. And a 35-year-old-Cap makes nowhere near as much sense as a younger one, unless he's already been CA for years already which I think would be ridiculous in his first movie, but on to that in a second...

Willem Dafoe should play Red Skull. They won't even need to do any makeup work for his face. They'll just need to do makeup work to have him look like a normal human being for the pre-Red Skull scenes.

Fine with me, I hope they cast him.

Hmmm.

Maybe?

I'm not dead set on it, but after it occured to me I've been thinking about it and I really think it could work.

Why not?

Personally, I think the youngest they can cast in the role is someone in his late 20's.

Like John Krazinski.:)

Someone younger just couldn't hold his own next to RDjr. Let alone order him around when they hit the battlefield.

Stark's always been(or at least seemed like to me) the oldest Avenger anyway. Anyway, I want

I hope they address Cap's Origins, but only briefly. I don't want this to be an origin story,

My position on this will always be that to start a superhero franchise without an origin story is ridiculous, unemotionally-investing and will never, ever work as well or be as popular as proper origin stories like S:TM, BB, Spider 1 or Iron Man.

I mean...
I want it to be more "Cap is fighting in WW2, gets blown up in an explosion and the world thinks he's dead." Then Nick Fury and Bruce Banner ressurect him in the present, and he finds out that somehow The Red Skull, who was responsible for him getting blown up, is still active.

I don't get how this works. We don't know who the Red Skull is, we don't know who Cap is. Why do we care if he gets blown up, or that Red Skull did it? Why is it interesting to see him get resurrected?

At the very least, I'd like them to do the story something like Batman Begins: The scrawny scenes leading up to the super-soldier testing filling in for depressed, angry drifter Bruce eventually getting on the boat out of Gotham; the WWII scenes being the Himilayan training and stuff and the present day being the Batman act.

I do think John Krasinski would be perfect casting for a slightly older, post-college, maybe-married Spider-Man,

I can see what you mean, but I think he's a bit too confident for that. I could easily see him playing a superhero of some kind, especially Spidey at times, but.... not quite.

I can only think of one value in casting Krasinski as Cap. I don't know where his family originally comes from, but his name sounds vaguely Slavic. I think there'd be some virtue in portraying the film version of Cap as, say, a second or third generation patriotic Polish American during a time when xenophobia was so strong.

Cool angle that the actor's background could add a neat level to, but that's not his appeal to me for this.

Basically, aside from being the right size and having the right look, I think he's great at playing extremely relatable and confident while also being dumped on by the world but persavering, and that's just from seeing him in one thing... who knows what else he could do here. I'd love to see him play a tough, hardass Cap while still bringing everthing I was talking about to the part.

There's just something profoundly disturbing in the origins of Captain America. I mean, apparently America's response to the rise of Nazism is to chemically create a blonde-haired, blue eyed embodiment of the Nazi Ubermensch. That strikes me as odd.

Obviously started occuring to me once I got older. It's borderline-doublethink really. "We're All-American! And we'll teach those Aryan-thumping Nazis a lesson or two to keep things that way!".

Too old, too British, etc.

Last edited:
I do think John Krasinski would be perfect casting for a slightly older, post-college, maybe-married Spider-Man, if they were looking to pursue that direction in the next set of Spider-Man movies, or a Marvel Knights thing. I might even be able to see him pulling off a character like Hank Pym.

I can only think of one value in casting Krasinski as Cap. I don't know where his family originally comes from, but his name sounds vaguely Slavic. I think there'd be some virtue in portraying the film version of Cap as, say, a second or third generation patriotic Polish American during a time when xenophobia was so strong. There's just something profoundly disturbing in the origins of Captain America. I mean, apparently America's response to the rise of Nazism is to chemically create a blonde-haired, blue eyed embodiment of the Nazi Ubermensch. That strikes me as odd. I have to feel that when that guy hit the battle field and his fellow soldiers see the American prototype superhero looks like the poster child for German propaganda, it would be treated with trepidation by the Allies, and awe by the Axis. In the original origin of the character, the formula is conceived by a scientist with a German name which can't be reproduced because of his death. In the Ultimate version, there's just something genetically awesome about the blue-blondey that makes it so the formula won't take with anyone else. There's a reason why he drapes himself in a gigantic American flag, folks. It's so his allies don't mistake him for a nazi and riddle him with bullets.

And then there's the height of American comic book propaganda, in which we have a blue-eyed, blonde-haired soldier in peak physical condition punching a stereotypically weak-bodied and scheming Jew right in the face. If you can't recognize the irony in that then all I have to say is, you might want to have a doctor (excuse me, "Doktor") check out that swastika carved into your chest. It looks like it might be infected.

captainamerica1.jpg

What it doesn't show is two seconds later, when Hitler spontaneously ejaculates from excitement.

"Ach! Mein trousers!"

This is sheer genius and actually pretty clever.

For one he doesn't have the look down, he's kind of awkward and dopey looking, but in an adorable kind of way. He's not ruggedly handsome, and he certainly wouldn't look good in the suit. And even if he beefed up for the part, his voice is still completely wrong, and I can't even imagine him being commanding.

I do agree that he is about the right age though. If they find someone in that age-range, it should be fine.

I disagree with all that stuff about good superhero movies need to be origin stories. The origin needs to be addressed in the first movie, but especially with Marvel characters, the origin isn't usually interesting. These were stories that almost always took place over a single page, and they can be summed up in a single sentence. Especially Captain America.

Sub-par military recruit is given a shot and becomes Captain America. That's not even worth ten minutes of film. I think Baxter had it right when he said that it should be covered in a Newsreel.

I also think that what could make a Captain America movie work is to use him to comment on the world as it is today, which would be especially relevant now, comparing WW2 to the Iraq War, and the questionable actions of the US Military. I don't think you can make a Captain America movie without addressing what America means, and what it ought to stand for, and we're in a place in history where America needs to think about these things. If they get a fantastic script for this (like they should), this could be fantastic.

And Zombipanda, I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with everything you're saying. Read The Ultimates. Read Brubaker's Cap. I think he makes for an excellent character and has been one of the most consistently underrated A-List superheroes in comicdom. And it's not difficult to make him relevant.

Ultxon, Ice and I have discussed our versions of Captain America movies and while we did have different ideas, one thing remained the same: the movie needs to be based on Millar's Ultimate version and the Brubaker stuff. Those are bits of source material they need to know.

Ultxon, Ice and I have discussed our versions of Captain America movies and while we did have different ideas, one thing remained the same: the movie needs to be based on Millar's Ultimate version and the Brubaker stuff. Those are bits of source material they need to know.
Indeed.

captainamerica1.jpg

"Ach! Mein trousers!"

That is the most brilliant thing in the history of this thread.

:shock: I think that's perfect.

I think a movie called "Captain America" is going to be a hard sale to a large segment of the general movie-going public. It just sounds terribly cheesy. And, as a superhero, Cap doesn't really have that "wow" level you get from seeing Spidey swing through New York City, or Hulk tearing **** up, or Iron Man tooling around in the sports car version of body armor. The strongest way to tell the Captain America is to tailor it as a balls-to-the-wall action movie. I mean, his level of heroics are something typical of the action hero hardass who doesn't have super powers, and setting the whole story during WWII under the cover of a dramatic, blow-****-up action epic is the best way to highlight this.

The other reason is that I don't feel Captain America really has the legs to maintain a film franchise. You can get one, maybe two films out of him, but he's critical to the chemistry of an Avengers team, and given the new title for his movie, it looks like they're establishing his story as a direct prequel to the Avengers. Meaning, that if you set the entirety of the Captain America movie in WWII, with maybe a tease of his recovery by Nick Fury at the end, you have an easy in to use him as the primary perspective character for the Avengers film. You have a point-of-view character to which the modern Marvel world is as fresh and foreign (moreso, even) as it is to the viewer who comes into the movie without any background. Captain America, then, can be a direct prequel to the Avengers movies, with the other films being more indirect sequels. So, the Abomination formula which you could reuse to make a Hulk baddie for the film feeds from Hulk into Avengers and back into Captain America, without requiring you having seen any of these movies to enjoy Avengers. Same with Iron Man and the Mandarin.

And the more I think about it....the more I doubt a Capt America film could hold it's own. I mean you obviously need him for an Avenger film....but, not to beat a dead horse, Millar really hit the nail on the head when he brought us a Cap origin story tied in with an "Avengers" origin story.

If this movie does not have the Cap-related-plot-twist from Universe X, I will be dissapointed.

For one he doesn't have the look down, he's kind of awkward and dopey looking, but in an adorable kind of way. He's not ruggedly handsome, and he certainly wouldn't look good in the suit. And even if he beefed up for the part, his voice is still completely wrong, and I can't even imagine him being commanding.

Okay, but I still disagree that he doesn't at least have the potential to be a great, tough, commanding Cap.

I do agree that he is about the right age though. If they find someone in that age-range, it should be fine.

Cool.

I disagree with all that stuff about good superhero movies need to be origin stories. The origin needs to be addressed in the first movie, but especially with Marvel characters, the origin isn't usually interesting. These were stories that almost always took place over a single page, and they can be summed up in a single sentence. Especially Captain America.

That's why you make them interesting by making him a great character from the start.

Sub-par military recruit is given a shot and becomes Captain America. That's not even worth ten minutes of film. I think Baxter had it right when he said that it should be covered in a Newsreel.

No, it isn't.

Athletically sub-par 20-something who builds up the idea of the American Dream and fighting for his country to a huge degree in his head thanks to then-current propaganda, an enemy that was pretty much black-and-white evil and the fact that he's forbidden to do so by his physique beats the odds by inspirationally forcing his way to the top of a military program creating super-soldiers, on the other hand, is worth at least half an hour.

Half an hour of character development that both makes us care about and relate to him as well as setting the stage for later on in the movie when he's disillusioned by the America Of Today's follies and the fact that the "American Dream", the everybody-happy-and-productive utopia just around the bend of the World War never really existed. And then, instead of being ashamed of the symbol he fought so hard to become(*cough**cough* Superman Returns truth-justice-"all-that-stuff"), he takes it upon himself to enlighten the people with honesty about all this and make the fight for freedom a down-to-earth, no-bull**** affair for once, and thus one that can actually succeed. Show what can really be great about America: awareness. Not some made-up team fighting against some increasingly made-up enemy, just 300 million real people who need to try a bit harder to get along with one-another, because they actually have the oppourtunity to do so.

At least that's how I'd do it.

I also think that what could make a Captain America movie work is to use him to comment on the world as it is today, which would be especially relevant now, comparing WW2 to the Iraq War, and the questionable actions of the US Military. I don't think you can make a Captain America movie without addressing what America means, and what it ought to stand for, and we're in a place in history where America needs to think about these things. If they get a fantastic script for this (like they should), this could be fantastic.

Yep.

Last edited:
This is sheer genius and actually pretty clever.

:( No ourchair points?

Vic said:
That is the most brilliant thing in the history of this thread.

Yeah. I thought so too. :D but thanks

Dr. Strangefate said:
And Zombipanda, I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with everything you're saying. Read The Ultimates. Read Brubaker's Cap. I think he makes for an excellent character and has been one of the most consistently underrated A-List superheroes in comicdom. And it's not difficult to make him relevant.

Well, I was joking. I dig The Ultimates and hell, I'm interested to see what they do with a Captain America movie. But you can't doubt that there's something incredibly anachronistic and unsettling about his origin, and that should be addressed.

Some folks have been talking about the Avengers movie as something along the lines of "which Ultimates plot should they use" and that seems silly. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a hard-R film version of Ultimates 2, but the only one of the story they can feasibly tell and get the PG-13 rating they need was already made - Ultimate Avengers. I think the film should worry less about the plot conventions and more about the underlying themes - the idea of a superhuman arms race and the global effects, and the premise of the team as a collective of mentally baggaged super-celebrities.

and Brubaker's Captain America is overrated.

Planet-Man said:
No, it isn't.

Athletically sub-par 20-something who builds up the idea of the American Dream and fighting for his country to a huge degree in his head thanks to then-current propaganda, an enemy that was pretty much black-and-white evil and the fact that he's forbidden to do so by his physique beats the odds by inspirationally forcing his way to the top of a military program creating super-soldiers, on the other hand, is worth at least half an hour.

Half an hour of character development that both makes us care about and relate to him as well as setting the stage for later on in the movie when he's disillusioned by the America Of Today's follies and the fact that the "American Dream", the everybody-happy-and-productive utopia just around the bend of the World War never really existed. And then, instead of being ashamed of the symbol he fought so hard to become(*cough**cough* Superman Returns truth-justice-"all-that-stuff"), he takes it upon himself to enlighten the people with honesty about all this and make the fight for freedom a down-to-earth, no-bull**** affair for once, and thus one that can actually succeed. Show what can really be great about America: awareness. Not some made-up team fighting against some increasingly made-up enemy, just 300 million real people who need to try a bit harder to get along with one-another, because they actually have the oppourtunity to do so.

At least that's how I'd do it.

Here's how I'd do it. Weak but patriotic soldier volunteers for super-steroids experiments that turn him into a perfect man. Action. Cap gets frozen.

Last edited:
And the more I think about it....the more I doubt a Capt America film could hold it's own. I mean you obviously need him for an Avenger film....but, not to beat a dead horse, Millar really hit the nail on the head when he brought us a Cap origin story tied in with an "Avengers" origin story.

I disagree, who is decide waht is cheesy and what is not? Superheroes by defination are cheesy. Really how is Cap sillier than say Superman? Plus the American public loves over the top, goofy, patriotism, its every where. Stuff like has been part of hollywood for years. The only real problem is people oversees may not like it.

Plus cap needs his own movie, putting his backstory in a Avengers movie takes way too much time out of the main movie, he should have intro movie to get his backstory movie out of the way and focus less on back stories, more on character interactions in the Avengers movie.

I think Cap can carry one movie, I'm not sure what you would do with the second one.

Latest posts

Back