Captain America Vol. 5 by Ed Brubaker discussion (SPOILERS!)

Re: Captain America series discussion (SPOILERS!)

This is the first time I've read "a very special issue" that dealt with Vampires.

I kind of wish they'd made it obvious that it was a classic artist. It was kind of off-putting.

(On a side-note, I would like to see a PSA regarding racism against classic vampires since the outbreak of the Twilight series.)

Last edited:

#606 - nice to see Sin back in the story.

I do like the idea of Bucky subconsciously (?) being too hard on himself and putting himself in more danger than needed due to guilt. Guilt like that should play a big role in his character - as much as Spider-Man.

#606 was the best issue in what feels like ages. I hope this title is going to be great again.

This title is so boring now I just read the same issue twice without realizing it.

This title is so boring now I just read the same issue twice without realizing it.

The last couple arcs have been lacking. Hopefully it gets back on track.

#611 is the latest issue and it kicks off the arc "The Trial of Captain America".

Bucky turned himself in to the police after Baron Zemo's son revealed to the world he was previously the Winter Soldier. Steve has it out with Hawkeye and the President over it.

I haven't heard any news about this arc - is this the beginning of Steve returning as Captain America?

So I just finally read Captain America: Reborn.

It was a solid story and I feel like I would have really liked it if I hadn't read The Return of Bruce Wayne first. The concepts were too similar and RoBW completely beat the crap out of CA:R as far as awesomeness goes.

Thanks for bumping this.

Is anyone still reading it? The last few arcs haven't been as good as they were pre-Reborn but the current arc is really good. Marvel does well with characters who do what they do out of extreme guilt, and we have a good example of that with Bucky. The Trial of Captain America does a good job showcasing that.

So I just finally read Captain America: Reborn.

It was a solid story and I feel like I would have really liked it if I hadn't read The Return of Bruce Wayne first. The concepts were too similar and RoBW completely beat the crap out of CA:R as far as awesomeness goes.

I enjoyed it...I read it when it came out (so before RoBW) so I didn't have that to compare it to, so that helped (RoBW was waaaaay better, obviously). I hated the concept of a gun that shoots bullets but sends the victim through the time stream - that was stupid.

I hated the concept of a gun that shoots bullets but sends the victim through the time stream - that was stupid.

the bullet froze him in time. He started skipping through the time stream when they tried to bring his body back and Sharon Carter smashed the time platform.

And I don't think they ever really explained why she was the "constant" but it feels A LOT like LOST.

the bullet froze him in time. He started skipping through the time stream when they tried to bring his body back and Sharon Carter smashed the time platform.

And I don't think they ever really explained why she was the "constant" but it feels A LOT like LOST.

Yeah, that's right. I still think it sounds stupid, though.

I haven't read it in a while but I thought the whole "constant" thing was because of her relationship with him...?

Yeah, that's right. I still think it sounds stupid, though.

I haven't read it in a while but I thought the whole "constant" thing was because of her relationship with him...?

well they needed her to get him unstuck from time, which is the part that seems a lot like LOST

and i think they said she had some sort of tachyon anomaly in her blood...

Thanks for bumping this.

Is anyone still reading it? The last few arcs haven't been as good as they were pre-Reborn but the current arc is really good. Marvel does well with characters who do what they do out of extreme guilt, and we have a good example of that with Bucky. The Trial of Captain America does a good job showcasing that.

I am but I'm behind in the trades, I still need to get Reborn and Two Americas, so those are next on my list.

I enjoyed it...I read it when it came out (so before RoBW) so I didn't have that to compare it to, so that helped (RoBW was waaaaay better, obviously). I hated the concept of a gun that shoots bullets but sends the victim through the time stream - that was stupid.

A gun with time bullets is stupider than a space god with crooked, time-traveling eye beams? :lol:

well they needed her to get him unstuck from time, which is the part that seems a lot like LOST

and i think they said she had some sort of tachyon anomaly in her blood...

probably something more to do with her being virtually identical to her aunt, rather than hypothetical subatomic particles that travel faster than the speed of light being present in her bloodsteam...

if that were to actually happen, she'd probably be the most significant biological anomaly in history, MU or otherwise

I'm rereading Winter Soldier right now and I just finished The Lonesome Death of Jack Monroe (#7). I had forgotten how good it is. It's sad and tragic and his hallucination of Bucky killing him when it really was Bucky was pretty amazing.

I did not remember that it was John Paul Leon on art...I didn't remember that he did any work in this series. His art is not very good at all...kind of cartoony. He got away from the thick lines he usually uses. I wonder if that was an editorial mandate.

There's lots of little things that are kind of cool in the series that I don't think I noticed before...like Monroe's adopted daughter now living under the name Julia Winters.

Its great that the first couple of trades can stand on their own without the mainstream marvel universe bogging it down.

Its great that the first couple of trades can stand on their own without the mainstream marvel universe bogging it down.

I thought most of Brubaker's run stood on it's own pretty well without being bogged down by mainstream MU stuff. Even the Civil War stuff wasn't too bad.

I thought most of Brubaker's run stood on it's own pretty well without being bogged down by mainstream MU stuff. Even the Civil War stuff wasn't too bad.

I think the Civil War issues worked because the stories really could have been done without any of the actual event stuff and would have been about the same. Much much better than the Captain America issue in New Avengers done by Howard Chaykin (who I know you're a huge fan of E:wink:)

In Captain America #16 (vol 6) Falcon says, "You alright Cap? You sound off your game." And that's a perfect summary of this book since the Gulag arc that ended volume 5. This feels like its just kind of plodding along with no larger purpose, unlike the entirety of volume 5. Maybe they are just filling issues until the relaunch but it's not nearly interesting enough right now to bother with. Kind of sucks that it's dropped off this much this fast.

Latest posts

Back