Christmas 2008, Houde Style

One way to re-enforce the "I don't need any gifts" request is to choose a charity and ask people to donate money or other needed items in your name. I have a couple of friends and family members I do that for -- we each pick one of the other's favorite charities and donate, and then send or give that person a card, letting them know that the donation has been made. (Someday I want someone to donate a water buffalo in my name at Heifer.org. :wink: )

My parents do a lot more decorating than I do -- my mother now has enough ornaments to fill one large and two small trees. I will post pictures this year when we get them decorated. (By the way, if anyone here is going to be in central New York State during the first couple weeks in December, let me know and we'll invite you over to help trim the tree. Free meal included!)

We let the teen pages decorate the library, but we have to keep an eye on them so they don't go overboard. This year I'm debating whether to do a candy theme or different Christmas stockings....

Christmas movie preferences:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas -- animated. No one tops Boris Karloff as the narrator. (Plus I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes of the live-action version before turning off the television.)
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Although it's not a movie, I like the Peter, Paul and Mary: a Holiday Together special that plays every year on PBS. I finally bought it on VHS so I didn't have to sit through the inevitable pledge breaks. (Guess it's time to see if it's available on DVD. :lol: )

And with the creation of this thread, Planet-Man's soul grew tarnished. "NOVEMBER ISN'T EVEN DONE YET!"

Anyways, I love the holiday, I really don't care what the rest of you think about that. It's a well known fact around here. I don't know why I love it, but I do. I search for months for the perfect gifts for people. I hem, I haw, I find, I buy. The mere act of giving a gift I know the person will like makes me happy.

I decorate the day after Thanksgiving. Spent two hours this morning cleaning and decorating the apartment. Since I do live in a apartment, and don't have a place of my own, I tend not to go overboard. If I do buy a house soon, you can bet that next Christmas will be insane, with the lights and decorations. It will be awesome.

I've already contacted the people on this site for gifts. I'm sorry if I didn't contact you, but money is tighter than usual around here. And Doom may be coming up for his. If he isn't, I'll send them down to him.

Here's some pics of the apartment

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Oh, and I'm already done Christmas shopping.

I LOVE THIS HOLIDAY!

Stop quoting those pictures. I'm sick of scrolling past all his crap.
Is that right now?

So, funny thing at work today.

I decorated my cubicle with lights. Two strands worth of lights.

I had a third strand, asked around who wanted it, someone did, and used it to decorate her cubicle.

Someone came up to me, and yelled at me for using two strands, then only donating one to the office. They said I should buy lights for everyone, if I was going to decorate my office.

I screamed CHRISTMAS! and went back to my work. She wouldn't drop it, so I turned up the music, which happened to be "Sex Bomb" by Tom Jones.

She flipped me off and walked away.

I love Christmas!

For the record, I think I love Christmas just as much as you do Houde. It's one of my absolute favourite things in the world and kind of the entire point to the year. I just can't get onboard with Christmas carols starting to blare a month or more in advance, or seeing decorations all over the place when you can't enjoy them because work/school-wise, it's still things-as-usual and there's stress and stuff because it's not really Christmas yet, and as such people haven't eased off. The impatience to start the holiday season drives me nuts.

Oh, and the best Christmas movie ever is still National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It's A Wonderful Life would take this spot, but aside from thematically, it has almost nothing to do with Christmas.

I want to finally see Love, Actually this year.

I had a third strand, asked around who wanted it, someone did, and used it to decorate her cubicle.

Someone came up to me, and yelled at me for using two strands, then only donating one to the office. They said I should buy lights for everyone, if I was going to decorate my office.

I screamed CHRISTMAS! and went back to my work. She wouldn't drop it, so I turned up the music, which happened to be "Sex Bomb" by Tom Jones.

I love Christmas!
:lol:

Nice. I'm going to scream CHRISTMAS! at someone today. Possibly a professor.

I don't care what anyone says, Jingle All The Way is a great Christmas movie.

"IT'S JUST A STUPID DOLL!"

But yes, I agree. Hilarious movie. :lol:

As for my favorite Christmas movies, Home Alone, Die Hard, Scrooge (Albert Finney version), and Polar Express. Also, if I'm in the mood, The Santa Clause.

Last edited:
I like that film shame the sequels are not as good. 2 had it's moments but 3 was horrid.

Luckily, I've never seen the third. The second was alright, but the first is a classic. I'm just not always in the mood to watch it every year, like the others I mentioned.

Also, I can't believe I forgot it, but A Christmas Story. I watch that every Christmas Day.

Last edited:

I love Christmas!

:lol:

You always have the best office stories.

Latest posts

Back