Civil War series discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Civil War?

• Total voters
i wasn't overwhelmed by the first issue. cap versus shield was the best part so far. seems like the iron man is willing to turn on cap awfully quick considering their history and all.

Captain America is going to be the most awesome character in Civil War. Only Cap takes a fighter jet pilot hostage and then takes him out for a burger and fries.

I think civil war is going to be spectacular. The opening shot was great and I think it's only going to get better.

5/5

This was great. I love Cap knowing what is going to happen. I love the way the art turns gradually from bright to dark before Nitro 'splodes. I love the way this is going to deal with gray issues and human issues, as compared to cosmic huge stuff, I love how the art is cinematic for a cinematic event, not all bunched up so 700 characters can be shown on one page.

This was fantabulous.

E said:
So am I the only one who wasn't floored by this?

I mean it was alright. The art was good. The parts with Cap against SHIELD were very good...but that's about it. It was OK.

The whole premise is still pretty dull to me. Now, I do like the idea that one person is behind it and maybe has been behind EVERYTHING lately. Not Mephisto though. That is way to Infinity-ish for my tastes.

What I do really like (besides the art) - the quality of the book is high. This feels like an epic thanks to the packaging - the cover design, logo, etc. Beautiful packaging.

So yeah. Decent. Hopefully it gets exciting.

Thank you, someone who agrees with me

Speaking of Inifinity, I need to write on such a horrible issue that one was.

MaxwellSmart said:
Captain America is going to be the most awesome character in Civil War. Only Cap takes a fighter jet pilot hostage and then takes him out for a burger and fries.

It looks like Millar is going to write Cap similar to Ultimate Cap, which is fine with me.

Ultimate Houde said:
Thank you, someone who agrees with me

Speaking of Inifinity, I need to write on such a horrible issue that one was.

Gauntlet wasn't too bad, but War and Crusade were TERRIBLE.

Well, I stand corrected on the Bullseye comment, just wondering who would be screwing around with a coin like that.

But to continue my tirade. Who in the heck would blame the heroes(gov.) for the actions of a super criminal (terrorist). If I'm not mistaking the opposite should be happening all the heroes should be rounding up all of the super villians and putting them in Gitmo Bay. Now that would be interesting. This is just to stupid to really deserve printing. Tom Brevoort should be fired.

How do you think they are going to get out of this?

It was a great issue. Very well written. The art for me is so-so. McViven's good...but I just don't care for him.

I wasn't floored by the issue....but I also recognized that this is merely the set-up issue.

I think the reason why the public hasn't reacted to something like this before (aside from the fact that the writers didn't want them to) is the fact that this wasn't some epic battle where an entire city's or maybe even the world's fate lay in the balance. It wasn't faught by real superheroes who the public know, love, and respect. This was C-listers who engaged in a public battle for a TV show and the innocent bystanders weren't adults on their way to work or whatever. It was a school.

The same reaction could be said for Columbine. Say a couple guys decide to rob a major bank---they shoot and kill 12 people and wound a couple dozen more. We look at it as a tragic event and it gets some national coverage...but for the most part once another breaking news story occurs it's outta sight and outta mind. But say 12 kids get killed in a school and a couple dozen more get injured.....it's a national tradegy and everyone is crying out for justice and new laws.

Just my 2 yen......

bwilton said:
Well, I stand corrected on the Bullseye comment, just wondering who would be screwing around with a coin like that.

But to continue my tirade. Who in the heck would blame the heroes(gov.) for the actions of a super criminal (terrorist). If I'm not mistaking the opposite should be happening all the heroes should be rounding up all of the super villians and putting them in Gitmo Bay. Now that would be interesting. This is just to stupid to really deserve printing. Tom Brevoort should be fired.

They're not. And like I said, this story just needed the right time to tell it. And despite how many people think the MU story by story is a big cop out, they're missing the point. HoM, Secret War, Now Civil War. It all comes together.

I want more of the "You should have kill your archenemy talks"

I don't understand where Bullseye = coin. Never saw him with one. I just hope that's the fake DD though.

bwilton said:

The point isn't that they're blaming the heroes for super criminals' actions. The point is the New Warriors were out of their league and should've called someone like the Avengers. That's why the gov't wants to train and register superheroes, so they'd either know how to handle something like that or contact someone who does.

vintsukka said:
The point isn't that they're blaming the heroes for super criminals' actions. The point is the New Warriors were out of their league and should've called someone like the Avengers. That's why the gov't wants to train and register superheroes, so they'd either know how to handle something like that or contact someone who does.

That and the fact that the gov't has no idea who most of these "heroes" are. It's all about knowing and feeling safer. But mostly to appeal to the public. Think of Ult. Hulks' trial.

There in lies the flaw, there are few entities more inept at making a decision as to who should do what as the government. The driving force behind this is that people are blaming heroes for the action of a supervillian and the govenrment is using to get votes or whatever. It's BS. It doesn't matter that it was c-list heroes who went on the assualt, it was a supervillian that dropped the bomb so to speak and he is responsible no matter the form of persecution he was wrong. Not the heroes, think of your average SWAT team doing an episode of cops going into a crack house. If the crankster gangster starts shooting the heck out of everything and kills a bunch of kids and neighbors dog. We are supposed to stand up and cheer the bravery of Swat and praise them for removing the threat from our community. The loss of life is regrettable but they try. Does that make you feel safer knowing that the government has trained those jokers. I am a former infantry soldier and the key thing I was ever taught was how to take a life, not really any emphasis placed on containing civilian casualties. Not unless the press was around. Still who is capable of training Sentry and what would they train him to do. It wouldn't be to build bridges I can assure you. As soon as the gov gets ahold they train you to become a weapon against enemies foreign and domestic..Quote unquote from the oath you have to take.

But you also have to think of peoples' fears and suspicions. All I'm saying is the gov't get to do what it might have wanted to do a long time ago. Also the fact that there is no more Fury means that they have more power over SHIELD. Maybe this was the time to get every hero to work under the gov't and basically get off by puppeting these chumps around. And the ones that don't fall in will be detain and/or depowered.

Well, as it has been said, the heroes aren't even trained to handle those level of villains. So blame does also fall on them, not matter the outcome (New Warriors).

Last edited:
I'll bet Nick gets ahold of ol' Cap and Wolverine and they old school the fire out of Iron Man.

J. Agamemnon said:
Also the fact that there is no more Fury means that they have more power over SHIELD.
This is a solid point you've got, especially considering the extent that Bendis has built up Fury's role as a kind of 'handler' for the various heroes, over the past few years -- in effect, bringing his role much closer to his Ultimate counterpart, actually. It really does provide a good answer to the question "why only now?"

But I just want to point out that Fury's role as mediator between the heroes and the government is a relatively recent one, if you think about it. It was really only after Bendis was given direction over a handful of "universe-defining" Marvel titles that Fury was written as anything more than a self-interested spymaster.

compound said:
This is a solid point you've got, especially considering the extent that Bendis has built up Fury's role as a kind of 'handler' for the various heroes, over the past few years -- in effect, bringing his role much closer to his Ultimate counterpart, actually. It really does provide a good answer to the question "why only now?"

But I just want to point out that Fury's role as mediator between the heroes and the government is a relatively recent one, if you think about it. It was really only after Bendis was given direction over a handful of "universe-defining" Marvel titles that Fury was written as anything more than a self-interested spymaster.
Ahhh, Compound. It's like you never left.

Welcome back.

Latest posts

Back