Cloverfield (Spoilers!)

My brother got the single-disc edition last night. The special features weren't too super-impressive, the deleted scenes were mainly filler from the party, though it was clever in that they WERE deleted scenes. You'll know what I mean when you see them. The alternate endings varied only slightly from the one they went with. No extra footage of the monster I could find or any of that jazz. The making of featurette's were decent though, and the outtake reel was hilarious. Whoever played Hud has some great comedic ability, I'd love to see him actually in FRONT of the camera.

JJ Abrams has confirmed the monster was ultimately killed by the bombs.

But hey, looks like the viral marketing has started up again...

clov2043008.jpg

cloverfield050108.jpg

My brother got the single-disc edition last night. The special features weren't too super-impressive, the deleted scenes were mainly filler from the party, though it was clever in that they WERE deleted scenes. You'll know what I mean when you see them. The alternate endings varied only slightly from the one they went with. No extra footage of the monster I could find or any of that jazz. The making of featurette's were decent though, and the outtake reel was hilarious. Whoever played Hud has some great comedic ability, I'd love to see him actually in FRONT of the camera.

He was on Carpoolers. And like everything else on Carpoolers he sucked ***.

I got the one disc DVD last night and it's pretty disappointing. There's only a commentary and some notes or something.

Man, you know what I think would've been a much cooler and better ending? If right before they're about to carpet-bomb Manhattan, right after Rob and Beth's last message, they hear some deep, alien tone too loud to comprehend and the tunnel collapses around them, letting them look out with the camera, and what they see is the monster being picked up by another creature that looks basically the same as it only is 5 ****ing times bigger(let's say it's picking it up using those little limbs they have around their pelvis). It towers over every building in Manhattan and the island itself.

Rob and Beth freak out and are just screaming "Oh my God! Oh my God!" over and over. Then, after the "mother" creature has scooped it up and is holding it against itself, a huge bolt of lightning crackles down from the sky and they both disappear, an eerie silence left behind broken only by Rob and Beth's heavy breathing and sobs.

What do you think?

Clover: Momma?

Clover Momma: JUNIOR! What are you doing?! I go to Mothra Mart for 10 minutes and just look at the mess you've made! And where did you get these things? (brushs parasites off Clover)

Clover: Well, Daddy left because of me, so I figured you'd be better off without me.

Clover Momma: Oh no, Junior, Daddy didn't leave because of you, Daddy left because he's Godzilla and he's a ****. Now give Momma a hug.

(Mother and Son embrace tenderly. Ambient music plays with the screams of Manhattan in the background.)

Well this played at my college theater a few months ago and I have to say I absolutely loved it. Best theater experience I can remember. I can not recall the last time I was so into a movie while watching it. It really is absolutely great. The special effects were fantastic, the acting was great, and the directing was unbelievable. I felt like I was right there in the thick of this devastation. The way these characters acted was so real and sincere, I can picture myself acting just like that in the same situation.

My only complaint of the film was the three characters we cared about the most (Rob, Beth, and Hudd) dies. Though I am really torn cause the way they died was so well done I find myself not knowing what would have been better. I really wish Hud didn't die because we we're with him all the way, so when he was gone it felt really weird. But the stare down with the monster, which gave me this huge sense of terror was just so perfect.

And I really wish at the end we got some text or something saying that Rob and Beth survive a week buried under rumble. It just seems forced that they died, but their last words and the cut to cooney island really made it a good ending. Unlike the blair witch where its basically "who are you" *THUD* Cloverfield had a very bittersweet ending where yeah they died but are last image was that of a happier time and we get a certain amount of resolution between them, that they got the chance to say good bye.

The problem is, we saw these people go through so much only to die, it kinda feels pointless but also hones in the reality. The feeling I got when they saw the military attack on the street, when Rob tearfully tells his mom his brother is dead, The leaning skyscraper, the helicopter crash, the monster stare down and lunge. All of this felt so really watching it, its as close as you can ever get to the really thing. And in that it is truly amazing.

I don't know how this will play on the small screen or if it would have the same effect on replay. But still this is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I'm not sure if anyone cares anymore, but...

From Comic-Con:

There will be a Cloverfield 2 ... but it won't be a sequel. It will be something "surprising," said Abrams. [Here is] what Abrams told us on video about what the most important monster feature is, from the perspective of a guy who has created a lot of monsters.

I really, really hope it's that mockumentary idea someone mentioned earlier. The more I think about it, the more I want to see it.

I finally saw this and loved it. Every minute of it.

Everything was done perfectly. It was terrifying.

Latest posts

Back