Cloverfield (Spoilers!)

From an interview with Matt Reeves:

CS: Any possibilities for a "Cloverfield" sequel?

Reeves: This was so fun 'cause we'd never done anything like it, and I think we'd want to find a similar challenge, to find a way to have its roots in this but be fresh and new, otherwise you're just repeating yourself. There's a moment on the Brooklyn Bridge, and there was a guy filming something on the side of the bridge, and Hud sees him filming and he turns over and he sees the ship that's been capsized and sees the headless Statue of Liberty, and then he turns back and this guy's briefly filming him. In my mind that was two movies intersecting for a brief moment, and I thought there was something interesting in the idea that this incident happened and there are so many different points of view, and there are several different movies at least happening that evening and we just saw one piece of another. That idea sort of tickled me. We'll have to see if anyone would want a sequel. If the movie does well and we find a compelling reason to do so then it would be fun to do a sequel.

Did you see the thing in the last shot? In the final shot there's a little something, and I don't wanna say what it is. The final shot before the titles. The stuff at Coney Island, there's a little something there and I don't want to give it away 'cause the fun is sort of to find it, but I will say this: there's a funny thing, you look at the shot and until you see it you don't see it and you really don't see it and obviously you don't 'cause none of you have seen it, but once you see it you'll never stop seeing it.

CS: It's the thing dropping in the water, right?

Reeves: Ahh, you saw it.

A sequel from the same type of perspective that also takes place in New York on that night would be kind of pointless. We've already seen how it all goes down.

If they'd incorporated the other perspective into this one, and I think maybe they should've(certainly would've had time to, at 86 minutes long), that would've been one thing, but at this point, they've had their shot and semi-blown it. A sequel just wouldn't work.

If anything, they should shoot all that and then make it part of a much-extended version of the film as a DVD-exclusive. I mean, how many people here would actually want to see the film again and again, at home on a small screen? This would be a huge insentive to get the DVD and probably the only way to make the film truly great.

I don't know what this is, but it's awesome:

photo11.jpg

I believe that is a shot from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End of the dead kraken on the beach. I could be wrong.

Re: JJ Abrams' "Cloverfield"

What would they do for a sequel?

If they do one, I hope they don't just take the Godzilla approach and make another monster for Cloverfield to fight.

Documentary. They should do a documentary about the origins of the monster and the aftereffects of the attack. Incorporate some of the footage from the original film as well as other cameramen from the event and news coverage to flesh out the action and you've got an interesting sequel. Probably straight to DVD.

I liked the film. I had some minor quibbles, all which have been mentioned here, but overall I got a kick out of it. Its been too long since theres been a good monster destroys a city flick released theatrically.

They now have a manga for this. Apparently it's supposed to serve as a prequel, as well as exposition of the monster's origins.

And, apparently, the monster has a connection to a whiney Japanese kid. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Last edited:
Re: JJ Abrams' "Cloverfield"

Documentary. They should do a documentary about the origins of the monster and the aftereffects of the attack. Incorporate some of the footage from the original film as well as other cameramen from the event and news coverage to flesh out the action and you've got an interesting sequel. Probably straight to DVD.

That is genius. God, I hope SOMEHOW this idea gets around to the right hands and gets done right. I would be terrific.

I really enjoyed it. It didn't live up the hype, but I kind of think that the hype was unintentional and that this wasn't supposed to be as big as it was.

Overall, it was entertaing, intense, and a lot of apocalyptic fun. (My favorite kind of fun.) The monster was excellent and those little nasties were quite horrible. (We kept joking that the monster just had crabs.)

I didn't find the movie disorienting at all, but we had a lot of fun mocking the warning signs at the ticket counters. We pretended to throw up in the garbage cans after we left the theater.

My only complaint is that it could have been longer. Maybe thirty minutes or so. I just kind of wanted more. More confrontation with the monster, more character development.

It was still pretty good though.
I think the shot towards the end where Hut is face to face with the monster was really stupid and against the style of the rest of the movie. It just sneaks up on them from nowhere in the middle of Central Park, and then takes the time to observe and maul a single person. It was really just an excuse to see an close-up of the monster's face, but I don't think that was necessary. We had seen JUST the right amount up until then, very satisfying and still mysterious. Seeing that close and detailed, and focusing on one random person.... it made it seem smaller.
Definitely. I'd wanted to see the thing up close, but that whole shot was just bad. The thing's face didn't seem very scary like that (or well animated) and it just felt rushed. The monster did look small. According to Wikipedia, it's supposed to be a few hundred feet tall. It didn't look a few hundred feet tall there.

When I heard that they would show the monster up close, I'd clearly envisioned a scene where the characters are hiding somewhere and the monster pokes it's head in looking for them, with them hiding and it sniffing the air and looking creepy. I can see this scene so clearly that I really wish they'd done something similar.
Having said that, the movie was mostly awesome. That first time you get a clear look at its face as it walks over the streets and roars right down at you for a second was the definition of movie magic. The thing was suspensful as heck and like I said, I could easily have taken another hour of it or more. I was loving it the whole time.
Yes. You know how when you're watching a good disaster/horror movie and you keep thinking about what you'd do if you were put in the same situation and how you'd react? When the monster comes right at the camera and everyone takes off running, for a half a second, the line kind of disappeared and I felt like I was there. I spent about 5-10 seconds just screaming "JESUSCHRIST!" over and over again in my head.

That's a great thing for a movie to accomplish.
I was disappointed they killed off Marlena so early because I thought she was the best character and her interaction with Hut the most interesting part of the movie.
Another reason it should have been longer. I wanted to see Hud and Marlena developed more before she went all kablooey.
Great idea. Maybe they could do it as a special feature on the DVD. A Michael Moore-style investigative documentary about the Tagruato people and the incident at the oil rig.

Last edited:
You know what the monster reminded me of the first time I saw it?

The Wendigo from BPRD:

12-Wendigo.jpg

I think there's a resemblance.

Yes.

Cloverfield is obviously just a tie-in with Hellboy.

OMGIFIGERRDOUTTEHMISTRY!!!!?

Hellboy 3: Cloverfield.

Hellboy going hand to hand with the little crab dudes, Abe communing with the ocean to figure out what it is, Johan finding the camera at the end. Come on. You want to see it too.

Hellboy 3: Cloverfield.

Hellboy going hand to hand with the little crab dudes, Abe communing with the ocean to figure out what it is, Johan finding the camera at the end. Come on. You want to see it too.
BPRD wouldn't be running around New York like a bunch of little *****es.

They'd be kicking *** and taking names.

Names like "Grogg-djrumann" and "Narglothir".

Well I still have not seen this movie and was trying to avoid all spoilers until I got a chance to go to a theater. I was pretty amazed I lasted this long. If it wasn't for an advertisement that I just saw on tv that had a shot of the monster. I'm pretty upset now, I was really looking forward to first seeing it on the big screen. Oh well

Well I still have not seen this movie and was trying to avoid all spoilers until I got a chance to go to a theater. I was pretty amazed I lasted this long. If it wasn't for an advertisement that I just saw on tv that had a shot of the monster. I'm pretty upset now, I was really looking forward to first seeing it on the big screen. Oh well

Man, that sucks. I didn't watch any TV spots for it just in case, but I'm surprised they were actually stupid enough to do that. ****ers.

Man, that sucks. I didn't watch any TV spots for it just in case, but I'm surprised they were actually stupid enough to do that. ****ers.

Well it's not unreasonable, all movies have more revealing tv spots two weeks after the movie comes out. I'm just glad I didn't get that too good a look, but still

Last edited:
Well it's not unreasonable, all movies have more revealing tv spots two weeks after the movie comes out. I'm just glad I didn't get that too good a look, but still

What's weird, though, is that after seeing the movie I've done plenty of image and YouTube searches for footage of the actual monster and still haven't found any.

I also saw one spot before the movie where I got a glimpse of what I thought was the monster but it turned out it was just a pile of smoke.

Yeah, I saw the ad too. That really sucks.
What's weird, though, is that after seeing the movie I've done plenty of image and YouTube searches for footage of the actual monster and still haven't found any.
Really?

This bit has been uploaded a bunch of times.

Now you can relive the moment when Hud gets killed as many times as you like!

:cry:
Liefeld feet.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back