Countdown Series Discussion (SPOILERS!)

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
Well MazingMan has posted his summary of #51 on the DC Boards, and I have to say this is really shaping up to be something special...

In the issue you get:
-Jason Todd as the Red Hood, apparently acting like a competant non-lethal vigilante
-An otherworldly Duela Dent
-A couple of Monitors
-Darkseid chatting up Desaad
-The Source Wall
-And the first allusion to the Great Disaster (which can only be stopped by Ray Palmer)

okay, 52 isn't really necessary, although reading issue 52, or just understanding what happened in Week 52, would be a good primer for this.

Here's the Big Scene DC Timeline as of now.

Crisis on Infinite Earths
Identity Crisis
Countdown to Infinite Crisis
The OMAC Project (with the Superman/Wonder Woman Sacrifice Crossover)
Villains United
Days of Vengeance
The Rann-Thanagar War
Infinite Crisis (with the Infinite Crisis one-shots that wrap up the four miniseries)
52 (with World War Three)
One Year Later
and now Countdown
And then whatever DC is now counting down to

Basically in Infinite Crisis, Alexander Luthor Jr. from the pre-crisis Earth 3 recreated the Multiverse in an attempt to create a more perfect Earth. He succeeded in a way, and created what they are calling "New Earth" which is mainline continuity (changing little things that had been conceived in the last decade... Wonder Woman was a founding member of the Justice League, Batman's parents were killed by Joe Chill rather than a nameless assailent, Superman now comes from the Superman: Birthright Krypton). Alexander Luthor started destroying an infinite number of worlds to try to alter them and change them... He was stopped in Infinite Crisis, and 52 identical earths were left in the new DC Multiverse. Mr. Mind, the real bad guy of 52 then went into the cosmic ether and basically was devouring the timelines of these multiple earths, changing them slightly or drastically from the New Earth continuity. He was stopped before he destroyed them all and we are now left with something similar, but not TOO similar to the Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Multiverse. Each Universe has a Monitor, and they will play a large part in the year to come.

The other thing that might be good to read is Winnick's run on Batman that reintroduced Jason Todd as the Red Hood...

An Idea for a Post Countdown, and post-whatever-comes-after-countdown weekly series: 52 Worlds - Each week a writer and an artist portray life each of the different worlds in the Multiverse... but I bet they want to keep it more open than that.

I've read most of that list...'cept for 52 and some of the countdown to IC minis. day of vengeance has a shazam/superman crossover thing at the start. I don't think Villains United was really necessary. OMAC was good.
Anyway, so this series is basically dealing with what was revealed at the climax of 52, but in the present...I might wait til I've read 52 then. Unless it's gonna start crossing into JLA/JSA and i need to get up to speed quick.

The other thing that might be good to read is Winnick's run on Batman that reintroduced Jason Todd as the Red Hood...
I remember people complaining about that..cuz they paid money to vote for his death and since it was retconned they wanted their money back.
An Idea for a Post Countdown, and post-whatever-comes-after-countdown weekly series: 52 Worlds - Each week a writer and an artist portray life each of the different worlds in the Multiverse... but I bet they want to keep it more open than that.
Might be nice, we already know a few universes don't we? Wildstorm is one too..that may be an idea for a seperate thread to suggest what the other universes could be.

I've read most of that list...'cept for 52 and some of the countdown to IC minis. day of vengeance has a shazam/superman crossover thing at the start. I don't think Villains United was really necessary. OMAC was good.
Anyway, so this series is basically dealing with what was revealed at the climax of 52, but in the present...I might wait til I've read 52 then. Unless it's gonna start crossing into JLA/JSA and i need to get up to speed quick.

I remember people complaining about that..cuz they paid money to vote for his death and since it was retconned they wanted their money back.

Might be nice, we already know a few universes don't we? Wildstorm is one too..that may be an idea for a seperate thread to suggest what the other universes could be.

I want to see more of Earth - 10, especially after the Morrison exit interview.

They put Wildstorm as Earth 50...i think 51 has to be something important, could it be bizzaro? ..they probably won't reveal what for some time

Ugh...I want it to get to Mary's story so I can drive the multiverse out of my head.

Why couldn't they have used Planetary's Snowflake. Though, apparently, according to Authority, and Ion, the Bleed still exists. So bloody unnecessary.

Im pretty sure Ellis has creative control over Planetary... He had them cross over with other titles because he wanted to, but I think all the concepts he put out in Planetary belong to him, and DC couldn't use them if they wanted to.

Im pretty sure Ellis has creative control over Planetary... He had them cross over with other titles because he wanted to, but I think all the concepts he put out in Planetary belong to him, and DC couldn't use them if they wanted to.

I've never seen anything to indicate this is true. I think it's more of a Neil Gaiman/Sandman situation where they sort of respect his wishes for the property so he'll write more stuff for them someday.

I read Countdown 51 and. . . I don't know. It was all right. I'll definately see it through. But when I first opened it to read I kinda got the feeling like "Man, I really don't want to start something like this all over again." Either I'm kinda fatigued, I miss the ongoing 52 characters and story, or both.

Well, 52 started like that too. First issue sucked IMO. So I'll give it more time, I just want an explanation for why Jason is not killing.

Well, he kind of reformed in Nightwing.

Of course, after that he was a bad guy again in Green Arrow. But it's probably best they ignore that anyway.

(Judd Winnick sucks!)

Well, he kind of reformed in Nightwing.

Of course, after that he was a bad guy again in Green Arrow. But it's probably best they ignore that anyway.

(Judd Winnick sucks!)

I...kinda like Winnick.
And no, as Nightwing he was killing thieves too. Check out the FIRST Nightwing OYL.

Yeah, he was killing thieves, but by the end of the story he was like a good guy again. He was all buddy-buddy with Dick.

In the end he was that snail-creature
But I did like him as this "not as much of a killer" vigilante, I hope they get a personality and stick with it.
Also, I want more Darkseid. And Pied Piper, I always liked the Pied Piper.

Latest posts

Back