Countdown Series Discussion (SPOILERS!)

What Would Mary Marvel Do?

not Mr. Mind.

Heh. I hope not. I don't think Mr. Mind has the equipment to fit her.

I'm going to keep picking this book up for a little longer at least, like a geek, but is anyone else not particularly interested in this? It has none of the things that appealed to me about 52. Instead of JG Jones' beautiful covers, we get these ugly, cheap looking things. Dini's show-running it, but we don't have the same caliber of writing talent as 52. So far, the dialogue is incredibly stale, and a lot of the choice of characters is just bland. The Monitors just don't seem all that appealing as villains to me. And they killed Duela Dent off just two issues after she became a Titan? lame....

I think as it's a sort of sequel to 52, the writers at DC will all have talked and I think some of the plots (at least early/big ones) will still have been thought up by the 52 team. I haven't actually read 52 but i like the idea of a comic coming out every week so I'll probably follow this for a bit.

Anyone else think that countdown #0 should have the front cover (or similar) from 52 #1?..I suppose that's far too early speculation.

Heh. I hope not. I don't think Mr. Mind has the equipment to fit her.

I'm going to keep picking this book up for a little longer at least, like a geek, but is anyone else not particularly interested in this? It has none of the things that appealed to me about 52. Instead of JG Jones' beautiful covers, we get these ugly, cheap looking things. Dini's show-running it, but we don't have the same caliber of writing talent as 52. So far, the dialogue is incredibly stale, and a lot of the choice of characters is just bland. The Monitors just don't seem all that appealing as villains to me. And they killed Duela Dent off just two issues after she became a Titan? lame....

There's been one issue. There's still 50 more.

There's been one issue. There's still 50 more.

I know, and that's why I'm going to give it a try. I'm just saying, I'm not hyped about it in nearly the way I was for 52. It just doesn't have any of the components I look forward to in a weekly comic.

Summary for Issue 2

Jimmy Olsen goes to talk to Red Robin, under supervision of superman from space, red robin is pretty dismissive and the conversation is a recap of the events in #51.
Mary Marvel goes to see a mystic woman who gives a general mystic "your path ahead is misty blah blah".
Then we have a scene taken from JLofA where batman and black lightning are fighting Lightening Lad..I guess this is just before the lightning saga starts.
Then we have "the rogues" I don't know these guys very well but the scene ends up with Heatwave telling mirror master, trickster and piper they're gonna have to prove themselves trustworthy with a test.
Finally Jimmy goes to see the joker at arkham and ask about duela. Best line of the issue

Jimmy: I'd like to ask you a few questions
Joker: And I'd like to strangle your little pink neck until your eyes popped out.

The joker was written well, but again this scene was pretty pointless. The cliffhanger was a lizard-like prisoner momentarily breaks free from a guard and is about to bite jimmy's head off.

Not great issue, but i'm still intrigued by it all. No ray palmer, no darkseid..and although "jimmy olsen must die" I don't think that's about to happen. 2/5

The second one was better than the first, let's just hope that it gets better and better.

Also, Red Hood is starting to get cool.

This issue seemed to have a lot of recapping of other series. The Karate Kid/Batman fight was a direct left that added nothing, the Rogues stuff was new, but covered all the same ground as recent Flash issues with the same characters and dilemma (trusting Piper and Trickster). It was like getting half a comic.

This issue seemed to have a lot of recapping of other series. The Karate Kid/Batman fight was a direct left that added nothing, the Rogues stuff was new, but covered all the same ground as recent Flash issues with the same characters and dilemma (trusting Piper and Trickster). It was like getting half a comic.

Nothing? I don't know about that. Karate Kid is from the future and it looks like they are here to change the past or try to prevent that the past changes. It could lead to the Great Disaster or something in that line.

Nothing? I don't know about that. Karate Kid is from the future and it looks like they are here to change the past or try to prevent that the past changes. It could lead to the Great Disaster or something in that line.

But it was all already covered, that exact scene, in JLA 8. Nothing was different about it.

Dan Dadio mentioned it was put there like that because he realizes not everyone gets JLA 8

I actually think that's a good idea, so everyone knows they don't need to buy several issues to understand one mini series

Dan Dadio mentioned it was put there like that because he realizes not everyone gets JLA 8

I actually think that's a good idea, so everyone knows they don't need to buy several issues to understand one mini series

It would be just as well to pick up after the events of JLA/JSA. Everyone may not know exactly what happened in the series, but they knew Karate Kid was in it just through house ads. And a couple lines of exposition would be good enough. It's a rip-off of people who buy Countdown and JLA.

You mean like 52 #52 had?

I meant 52 #1, with the sword in the stone through supes cape, with batmans mask and WW's lasoo over it. like where did the trinity go.

I'm just thinking...infinite crisis we had 1 issue countdown and a 7 issue series....now we have 52 issue countdown...the next big event may be even bigger.

I meant 52 #1, with the sword in the stone through supes cape, with batmans mask and WW's lasoo over it. like where did the trinity go.
I know what you meant.

See here:
5212_400x600.jpg

52 #1

7124_400x600.jpg

52 #52

So to answer your question, no I don't think they should make the Countdown #0 cover similair to the 52 #1 cover. They already did that with 52 #52.

Ok I didn't know that. So you think countdown #0 will have a similar cover to #51?
It's a possibility, but since it has already been done with 52 the odds are against it. And I think DC will have so much material after the countdown to play with that the cover will be something related to the event it count downs to instead.

It's not ugly...but looking at it, it's not the sort of thing they can replicate..just cuz it's not very distinctive, millions of comics have covers like that.

Boring. You'd think if DC were doing another weekly series, they'd make it much more interesting than the first one. Obviously not.

I feel that Jimmy Olsen in near death situations is going to be a running gag during Countdown. In every issue or so, he'll be placed in a dangerous situation. Similar to the situation on Lost, someone will determine he must die, and it's just a countdown until when he will.

I want to see what Ray Palmer is doing.

Latest posts

Back