Cup of Joe: The Discussion thread.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Why not have this? We can talk about all the quabbles here.

First, let me post this beautiful artwork:

civilwar_4.jpg

And now: New Joe Fridays Week 10.

Re: New Joe Fridays: The Discussion thread.

Not much to go on this week, but the cover for Astonishing X-Men shows something very interesting.

ASTXM019_COV_col.jpg

Notice Cyclops doesn't have his visor. I wonder if this can be any indication to the rest of the "Torn" arc. We'll see soon enough with #16 coming out next week.

I was wondering who that guy was..... then i realised it was Cyclops without his visor......
He must get it back tho, with it being on him in civil war

Was one of my complaints about the entire AXM run. It's most likely pre-HoM, meaning we know how things will be at the end so they link up with HoM or CW. Either that, or AXM will run sorta like 616b in the future.

jtg3885 said:
Was one of my complaints about the entire AXM run. It's most likely pre-HoM, meaning we know how things will be at the end so they link up with HoM or CW. Either that, or AXM will run sorta like 616b in the future.
The first year, meaning # 1-12, were pre-HoM, issue 13 and onwards are post-HoM but pre-CW.

vintsukka said:
The first year, meaning # 1-12, were pre-HoM, issue 13 and onwards are post-HoM but pre-CW.
...which doesn't make a lot of difference. Like we knew already that Emma was going to end up good, Scott will need his visor back, etc. because of what's in Civil War. Although I've got to wonder how they place it, given that I don't remember seeing any of Sentinel Squad O*N*E, the 198, missing students, etc. in issues #13+...

jtg3885 said:
Although I've got to wonder how they place it, given that I don't remember seeing any of Sentinel Squad O*N*E, the 198, missing students, etc. in issues #13+...
Whedon is pretty much writing around it so that ASM is a pretty self-contained story, but there are references, for example issue 13 starts in the Danger Room with Wolverine sparring the young students and he's talking about how a lot has changed and a bunch of students gone.

But that self-contained thing does also mean that he can't make any changes, which was your point. I'm not arguing here, I just clarified about the placement.

vintsukka said:
Whedon is pretty much writing around it so that ASM is a pretty self-contained story, but there are references, for example issue 13 starts in the Danger Room with Wolverine sparring the young students and he's talking about how a lot has changed and a bunch of students gone.

But that self-contained thing does also mean that he can't make any changes, which was your point. I'm not arguing here, I just clarified about the placement.
I would say AXM does more character development than anything. Like right before the HoM, they make reference to a rift between Xavier and Scott. In the same thread, Brubaker makes reference to the rift between Xavier and Scott having started with the Danger storyline.

It's true that since the AXM predates all the other X-Men books whatever happens to the characters will be rather subtle. Therefore, Scott will take Emma back, Kitty will have to forgive Emma, Wolverine and Beast will have to go back to normal, and Scott will have to put the visor back on.

Newsarama said:
JQ: Nam, JR has three projects on his docket that follow Eternals. One of which you may or may not know is Fantastic Four: The End written by Stan Lee. Johnny only has a few pages left and we will hopefully be able to talk more about it sometime after Eternals. But, immediately following The Eternals, Johnny will be drawing our big summer blockbuster story for next year. While this will not be a massive line wide crossover like House of M or Civil War, it's a huge story. Let's just say that there's going to be more punching and hitting than any comic perhaps in recent memory.

It's already been announced that Alan Davis is writing and drawing Fantastic Four: The End, so... wtf?

And another summer blockbuster story? I'm summer blockbustered out.

ProjectX2 said:
It's already been announced that Alan Davis is writing and drawing Fantastic Four: The End, so... wtf?

And another summer blockbuster story? I'm summer blockbustered out.

There's two FF: The End's - one by Alan Davis and one by Stan Lee and JrJR.

I think the summer blockbuster thingy may just be a crossover between two big titles - New Avengers/Mighty Avengers?

roguefan said:
There's two FF: The End's - one by Alan Davis and one by Stan Lee and JrJR.

That is just stupid.

"Iceman Geek" asks: Hey, Joe, how's it goin'? I was wondering about something I know Hitch had mentioned sometime late last year, I believe. He said he was working on a new project, that was going to come out in a year (so end of 2006) and that it was going to be announced during this summer, but I haven't read anything new that Hitch will do after The Ultimates vol.2. So when will we hear about this mystery project?

JQ: One project at a time, Iceman, we'll be talking about Bryan Hitch and his new project in due time. I hope you're saving your money.
And you all said I was crazy! :crazy:

Ice said:
And you all said I was crazy! :crazy:
Oh, is that what you thought we were talking about when we called you crazy?

w00t, I got another question in!

Q - Iceman Geek: Hey Joe. Been wondering when we would see Sean Chen with his next project. He is still working for Marvel right?

JQ: Yo, Iceman Geek, yes, he is absolutely still with Marvel. Sean is currently working on issues #32-34 of Sensational Spider-Man and here is some of his amazing art, hope you dig 'em!

SENSM032002scol.jpg

NJF 15

Last edited:

It's a good drawing, but hot diggity do I hate those types of pinups.

It's a good drawing, but hot diggity do I hate those types of pinups.
Really? How come? I love 'em.

I would love Hitch do one with the X-Men, but I'd like it to be done in this lifetime.

Last edited:

Umm..... didn't Joe just confirm that Astonishing X Men is POST Civil War (after issue 13 I imagine)....? Hence, Scott might stay without visors, Emma won't come back etc etc....

Also, that Spidey villains pic is great! Sean Chen is a superb artist, I've missed him for the last few years (last thing I remember from him is his Iron Man run). It's obviously a flashback or a dream or something though, considering the characters in it. Hobgoblin looks like he's busting some rhymes.

Last edited:

Q - The Skoot: Given recent events, is the current arc on Astonishing X-Men pre- or post-Civil War?

JQ: Hey Skoot, I went in to Editor Nick Lowe's office to get the answer directly from the source. Well, Nick isn't really the source but he does speak to the source or "The Whedon" as we like to refer to it. For some reason Nick isn't anywhere to be found, his office mates said he just ran out like he was afraid of something, but he did leave this note.

Post! It takes place when the last issue comes out. At that moment in continuity. Please don't hurt me- NL

Well, there you have it!

Interesting.

Latest posts

Back