DC Extended Universe - News & Rumors

Re: DC Cinematic Universe - News & Rumors

Can I just say THANK YOU to DC? A wonder woman movie is huge. Disney/marvel refused to do a black widow movie so i'm happy one finally gave us one with a female lead (title character not in group or other's)

Also love they confirmed in movie she's a demi-god i hated rumour Amazons would be kyrptonians as that means superman is the best amazon **** that. So yay demi-god.

Also interesting that Justice league part 1 + 2 , does that mean 1 movie in 2 parts? as thats great for group films it means no one will get x-men treatment ( in 1 + 2 they underused storm and Cyclops)

While I think Affleck as Batman and Cavill as Superman were great choices, I too am reticent about Momoa as Aquaman, Gadot as Wonder Woman, and Miller as Flash.

But who knows? They could end up being great choices. While I'm iffy about those three choices, Snyder has always done a pretty good job of casting roles in his films, so I'll wait to see the final results. Unfortunately a lot of people are resorting to the knee jerk reaction instead of waiting to see how they actually do performing the roles. And these are likely the same people who complained about Downey as Iron Man, Evans as Captain America, Hemsworth as Thor, Ruffalo as Hulk, etc etc, before those films came in out and they were able to actually see how damn perfect that casting was. Rush judgements almost always end up being wrong, in that regard.

Yeah, I agree. My main cause for concern is the approach they seem to be taking and the fact that Zach Snyder seems to have such a big hand in shaping this thing. No idea why they would settle on giving him the keys to this Ferrari. Maybe they're just comfortable with him since he's made so many movies for WB, I suppose. I've read some quotes about Batman's relationship with Superman that is also concerning. One of the producers recently said they wanted Batman to tower over Superman, and they clearly went for an older, more mature and experienced Batman in contrast to Superman. I just don't understand why you wouldn't have them be roughly the same age. If anything, you would think Superman should be more physically imposing than Batman, seeing as how that would fit in better with their dynamic (Batman being slightly suspicious of this all-powerful alien, in certain comics). I don't get it. It feels like Zach Snyder or some producer picked up The Dark Knight Returns and decided that it should serve as the basis of how Batman and Superman interact.

It's too bad they can't streamline things by having them take place in the same universe (the DC things, not the Lego and other non-DCU stuff).

Yeah, I agree. My main cause for concern is the approach they seem to be taking and the fact that Zach Snyder seems to have such a big hand in shaping this thing.

That's good though as it means it'll feel more connected IMO

The Dark Knight Returns was the best Superman/batman interaction though IMO others were great too but that just got everything right with them imo

The Dark Knight Returns was the best Superman/batman interaction though IMO others were great too but that just got everything right with them imo

I've always thought that the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini cartoons got it exactly right. Especially, their Cadmus stuff. If was in charge I would use the Justice League cartoon as a blueprint for the DC cinematic universe. But I am not, so I'll just have to sit here and wonder why they are making the decisions that they are.

It's too bad they can't streamline things by having them take place in the same universe (the DC things, not the Lego and other non-DCU stuff).

Do you mean the tv shows + movies? As I kinda like the idea as Arrow universe can give us IMO a diffrent take and be better as its not tied to movies. As in my eyes agents of shield's biggest issue is ties to the movies as the tie in episodes are poor and when something huge happens like end of season 1 your left asking "okay ... just go get black widow , iron man , hulk , cap and hawkguy and go stop it in like 4 minutes" (left thor as he can be on his home world so they might not get him) where as arrow + flash im never left thinking "go get batman , superman and wonder woman" That might just be me but i love the seprate universes so they can be different versions of characters ect... and self contained stories

The other plus is I am growing a little with the movie approach of marvel as it's basically the same thing as events in comics. Oh you like Hulk? well besides the movies hulks in you need to see : iron man 1 2 3 , captain america 1 + 2 thor 1 + 2 , agents of sheild and gaurdians. Just to know what is going on properly in the movies hulks in. I hate that in comics and in movies its worse. With dc you just have the movies. Hey you like gotham? just watch gotham. It's more convent , cheaper and more customer friendly imo as YOU choose if you watch movies + tv shows ect...

Just my thought though i bet most disagree lol

Have to disagree with you on that last point, Mole, as the MCU films, while part of a larger story, all stand up well independently. Heck, you don't even need to have seen Captain America - The First Avenger to know what's going on in CA-The Winter Soldier, and the same applies to the Iron Man and Thor films.

Granted, you'll get more out of it if you see them all, but it's certainly not necessary.

Besides, the films are all largely enjoyable and well received by audiences and critics alike, so it's not a chore at all to watch the other films. The MCU merely expanded the horizons of the classic sequel/trilogy/series formula. And it's worked wonderfully, both from a storytelling stand point and a profit standpoint.

Hence, WB finally getting their stuff together to make their own interconnected universe, modeled after Marvel's approach. And their films will likely do very well at the box office as well (remains to be seen if they'll do well critically).

i found Iron man 2 + 3 hell to get through. But yes rest was good

And my point was not you need to see cap 1 to like 2. It's because of the structure you need to see all. Like the amount of people who didn't see incredible hulk found it stupid he could control hulk powers in avengers (he learned at the end scene) You need to see thor to understand loki and thor for it. So that is why you need to because of the cross over. like Black widow in cap 2 means you need to see the iron man films + avengers.

To understand Shield in avengers 2 you'll need top see show (the worst of the tv comic shows right now imo) and its too much to expect people to watch the movies to watch all the show it is too much. And you need to see show as tie episodes are usually fall out so its the end. I dont know to me it buts me off that you need to see films + see shows if you want to follow 1 hero. Yes the are sort of self contained but each has trhe seeds you need to understand crossover better. I used events in comic as example as you really need to read all the tie-ins ect... or that 1 hero you follow you'll get lost around event times.

Just films = Good

Just tv shows = good

Both tv + movies in 1 universe = too much

Last edited:

This is slightly spoilerish:
According to rumor, Justice League Part 1 will feature the usual members of the league with the exception of Green Lantern. Apparently the villain will be Brainiac. Green Lantern will appear at the end of Part 1 to warn to the league that Darkseid is coming to Earth. He'll be the villain of Part 2.

Also, it sounds like we'll get the casting for Suicide Squad fairly soon. According to the Hollywood Reporter, WB is eyeing Ryan Gosling, Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Tom Hardy for parts in the film. Not sure I believe it, but if true it's a bit reassuring, and shows that WB is taking these films seriously in terms of the actors they are casting. Also if true, it's interesting to see them going after A-list actors for this, but lesser knowns for their more prestigious characters.

i found Iron man 2 + 3 hell to get through.

I agree Iron Man 2 sucked, but I liked the third one.

But yes rest was good And my point was not you need to see cap 1 to like 2. It's because of the structure you need to see all. Like the amount of people who didn't see incredible hulk found it stupid he could control hulk powers in avengers (he learned at the end scene)

But that's not true. Yes, they did develop his ability to control himself as the Hulk in TIH, but even in Avengers early on he raged out. Towards the end he was able to focus. So even not having seen TIH, people would know what's going on.

You need to see thor to understand loki and thor for it. So that is why you need to because of the cross over. like Black widow in cap 2 means you need to see the iron man films + avengers.

Seeing the other films certainly offers more insight and explanation, but it's definitely not a requirement to understand and enjoy the films individually. Loki's conflict with Thor was addressed in Avengers, and Black Widow was given plenty of screen time and development in Cap 2 alone for the audience to know who she is and what she does.

To understand Shield in avengers 2 you'll need top see show (the worst of the tv comic shows right now imo) and its too much to expect people to watch the movies to watch all the show it is too much.

Not at all. Granted, watching Cap 2 will help explain why SHIELD no longer exists (or at least compared to its existence pre-Cap 2), but again, I'm sure they'll have a couple lines or references to explain its absence. Not having seen Cap 2 won't ruin Avengers 2 for viewers. And you certainly don't need to have seen Agents of SHIELD at all. That's as tertiary as it gets, really.

And you need to see show as tie episodes are usually fall out so its the end. I dont know to me it buts me off that you need to see films + see shows if you want to follow 1 hero. Yes the are sort of self contained but each has trhe seeds you need to understand crossover better. I used events in comic as example as you really need to read all the tie-ins ect... or that 1 hero you follow you'll get lost around event times. Just films = Good Just tv shows = good Both tv + movies in 1 universe = too much

I get what you're saying and agree that too much dependence on crossovers can be detrimental, but I don't think the MCU has hit that wall yet. Even the Arrow/Flash universe can be enjoyed by only watching one show and not the other, though with the upcoming crossover episodes that may change. We'll see. But that's how TV spinoffs work (and now apparently TV spinoffs of film series, though there are plenty of previous examples of that, just not as closely intertwined).

That said, I wouldn't have minded them bringing in the Arrow/Flash TV universe as part of the DC film universe, it's just that the producers repeatedly said that wasn't going to happen and people, even people who would read those interviews, would comment that it should or would happen on other sites I check out. That just annoyed me. It's one thing to speculate, it's another to blatantly ignore something the makers of those films and television shows are telling you isn't going to happen.

But I do think trying to tie in the Arrow and Flash shows would've been more trouble than it's worth, and hinder their abilities to tell good stories in that TV universe and the film universe. While Marvel have done a great job telling good stories in their film universe (overall), Agents of SHIELD is hindered by having to fit into the mold the films set, and they can't really change things up on a larger scale at all, really, because it may infringe on plans for a future MCU film. So in that regard I'm glad that DC is keeping it all separate.

There are reports that Jared Leto may be cast in the Suicide Squad movie. The interesting thing is who he might be playing; The Joker.

He certainly has the look, but can he act?

What are they going to do to that beautiful, beautiful face?

They're about equal in terms of acting talent. This doesn't really worry me. 2016 is shaping up to be a highwater mark in terms of comic book movies. Batman v. Superman (please God, let this be good), Captain America: Civil War (which essentially is Avengers 3), X-Men: Age of Apocalypse, Suicide Squad, and Dr. Strange all sound intriguing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back