DC's All-Star line

lantern

Re: All-Star Superman Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I read that DC announced during the 2006 Chicago Wizard World an All Star Green Lantern series. Since I love all things GL I researched the All Star books wikipedia and other reviews considered the All Star imprint DC's "ultimate" line. Is this true? Is All Star Batman or Superman good? I want to read All Star GL when it comes out and I was wondering about the rest of the imprint.

I read that DC announced during the 2006 Chicago Wizard World an All Star Green Lantern series. Since I love all things GL I researched the All Star books wikipedia and other reviews considered the All Star imprint DC's "ultimate" line. Is this true? Is All Star Batman or Superman good? I want to read All Star GL when it comes out and I was wondering about the rest of the imprint.

It's kinda like the Ultimate line, only the books don't seem connected in a universe together. It's like every title is its own universe, so if they do a GL you wouldn't need to read the others.

All-Star Superman is very, very good.

All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder, has Batman making Dick Grayson eat rats.

I just read Ult. Batman and Robin #1 and it seems like they haven't revisioned the characters like Ult. Marvel did and it seems like they are directing it towards a younger audience like Marvel Adventures and not a broad audience like ULt. Marvel. Also these assumptions has came from reading one issue so i could be incorrect. It's not the same universe? In issue 1 Vikki Vale talks about Superman in the first panel I'm confused.

I just read Ult. Batman and Robin #1 and it seems like they haven't revisioned the characters like Ult. Marvel did and it seems like they are directing it towards a younger audience like Marvel Adventures and not a broad audience like ULt. Marvel. Also these assumptions has came from reading one issue so i could be incorrect. It's not the same universe? In issue 1 Vikki Vale talks about Superman in the first panel I'm confused.

All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder is directed toward a younger audience? Where did you get that idea? The gratuitous panty shots, the violent murder, the child abuse, the Goddamn Batman?

I read that DC announced during the 2006 Chicago Wizard World an All Star Green Lantern series. Since I love all things GL I researched the All Star books wikipedia and other reviews considered the All Star imprint DC's "ultimate" line. Is this true?

Sort of. Not really. Depends on who you ask.

DC would tell you no, it isn't. They aren't really supposed to be re-imaginings of the characters; they are more like stories which never took place but could have. As I recall the initial announcements, these were supposed to be stories which could fit into existing continuity.

Now, reading the Bizarros and the Doomsday in All-Star Superman (as well as Clark's reveal to Lois that he is Superman), this doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Morrison will pull something out of his hat and tie this into existing continuity.

Okay i just read AS Superman #1 and Wow in a bad way. That book made me ask more questions about what happened before AS Superman #1 then whats going to happen next. And why does Superman change look wise in a couple of pages? First Supes is late 40's early 50's looking and then sup is bench pressing the googa ton and looks to be in his 30's... The story was good but a bad starting point continuity wise for people like me who don't read AS sup or regular Sup books.

Okay i just read AS Superman #1 and Wow in a bad way. That book made me ask more questions about what happened before AS Superman #1 then whats going to happen next. And why does Superman change look wise in a couple of pages? First Supes is late 40's early 50's looking and then sup is bench pressing the googa ton and looks to be in his 30's... The story was good but a bad starting point continuity wise for people like me who don't read AS sup or regular Sup books.

There is no continuity before whats happened. This is an out of continuity story. And Superman changed appearance because of the heavy overdose of Solar Radiation. Its also how he starts controlling electricity.

And I don't remember hearing about an All Star Green Lantern, but wasn't Chicago where they announced All Star Batgirl by J. G. Jones and Green Lantern writer Geoff Johns?

And I don't remember hearing about an All Star Green Lantern, but wasn't Chicago where they announced All Star Batgirl by J. G. Jones and Green Lantern writer Geoff Johns?

I don't know if it was in Chicago, but that book kind of killed the whole idea of the All-Star concept for me. Batgirl? Are you serious.

Whatever.

I don't know if it was in Chicago, but that book kind of killed the whole idea of the All-Star concept for me. Batgirl? Are you serious.

Whatever.

Yeah. Its not exactly the choice I'd have made. Warren Ellis, Phil Hester and Andy Parks on All Star Green Lantern is what I'd have tried for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Star_DC_Comics
If AS superman sits inside his own universe then what happened before AS Sup #1 I'm so confused about the world around Sup. AS bats i can figure out when AS Bats #1 takes place.

Heres what happened before All Star Superman: Lots of fun stories where Lois tried to out Clark as Superman but was rebuffed by his scheming ways, robots, and occasional help from Batman. Lois has never married Clark, Jimmy Olsen has ascended from mere reported to sunday feature writer, and The Cadmus Project was shutdown and bought out by a private company run by a man wearing the Technicolor Dream Coat. If you absolutely HAVE to force it into somthing go buy Showcase Superman V1. It happens right after that.

Oh so are you saying All Star is not its own universe like Ult. Marvel and Marvel Adv.

Last edited:
There has to be. example: Bizzaro workers

Its just what they were calling them (Maybe. I haven't gotten to read 7 yet). Just like Doomsday in issue 4. It wasn't the Doomsday we've all wondered "Why?" about since The Death of Superman.

DC's All-Star comic line isn't like the Ultimate universe in that they aren't ongoing stories set in a constant continuity. They're not ongoing.

Think of it like this - DC's All-Star line is exactly like when they do a TV show or movie of Superman or Batman. It's just that this tv show/ movie, happens to be a comic book.

As for the titles - All-Star Superman is lots of fun, while All-Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder, is really quite poor - and cancelled it seems. There are definate plans for All-Star Batgirl (I'm not sure who's writing it, but it's drawn by JG Jones) and All-Star Wonder Woman (written and drawn by Adam Hughes).

As for the titles - All-Star Superman is lots of fun, while All-Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder, is really quite poor - and cancelled it seems. There are definate plans for All-Star Batgirl (I'm not sure who's writing it, but it's drawn by JG Jones) and All-Star Wonder Woman (written and drawn by Adam Hughes).

Sadly not. Issue 6 just got re-solicited in the July listings.

Let's evaluate the All Star line.

All Star Batman & Robin - Absolute podunk ****. Even the NFL SuperPro pisses on this.
All Star Superman - Absolute genius. There is no title right now, DC, Marvel, or otherwise, that can match the greatness of this.
All Star Wonder Woman - Not gonna' read it. WW bores me.
All Star Batgirl - ...this is a joke, right? (I know it's not, but still)
All Star Green Lantern - Can be good.

Latest posts

Back