Deadly Shooting at Virgina Tech

Ok....and now for the obligatory "Shame On You Doom" comment.

I don't care.

Seriously.

I know that might be a horrid thing to say but it's the truth. I was not there. I don't know anyone there. I don't know anyone who knows anyone there. And even if I did---I still wouldn't care. Why? Because I have my own problems.

Do I recognize that this was a terrible thing to happen? Yes. But I still don't care. When this happened a co-worker came into the office and asked if I had heard anything about this? I said no. He then began to fill me in. My immediate response was "Wow...**** happens."

I hate that everyone wants to throw out obligatory "prayers and support" but guess what? They don't really mean it. For the most part, we are all so far removed from the horrible events of the world that we don't pay them any mind.

33 "innocent kids" died. How is that any different from the thousands of kids who die in Africa from AIDS? How is this any different from the dozens of soldiers getting blown up overseas?

**** happens. Life keeps going.

So there. There's my pathetic excuse for input and thoughts on all this. It was a bad thing.....but I just don't care.

Thanks CNN for sensationalizing it.

I agree with you over it being over hyped compared to other bad things happening around the world but it's still a horrible tragedy to say a insensitive "**** happens"

What were you like during 9/11
"HOLY **** the country is under attack, two planes just crashed into the world trade center!!"

"and your telling me this because? :roll: "

Now that is biggg extreme but you get the point. They are totally different things but they are the same in that people woke up one morning thinking it was going to be a normal day and had their lives taken needlessly.

Last edited:
I saw an interview with a college editor for that college magazine and he kept saying, basically, before every sentence and he looked like he was reading a teleprompter and wasn't even answering the question properly.

ie.

Fox News lady: What is the reaction days after the incident and how are student coping?

College Editor kid: basically, parents came to visit their kids hoping they were amongst the victims. basically, everyone is in just a depressed mood and alot of students aren't handling it well.

fox lady: what was it like for you on lockdown in your dorm.

College kid: bascially, we were confused, all we had was internet to ask question. basically, we had no idea until it was on the news later and even then we weren't left out of our dorms.

I'm not hopeless, but I don't believe everything the media shoves down our throats. I really doubt there is less violence in the world when the population is 3 billion more people then 200 years ago and suicides bombers, shooter, killers, rapists and sociopaths run more rampant nowadays.

You think killers and rapists run more rampant now than 200 years ago?:shock:

I'm just speechless at this. Hibiki.... seriously.

I agree with you over it being over hyped compared to other bad things happening around the world but it's still a horrible tragedy to say a insensitive "**** happens"

What were you like during 9/11
"HOLY **** the country is under attack, two planes just crashed into the world trade center!!"

"and your telling me this because? :roll: "

I am like this because of 9/11 and its fallout. In the past 5 years....I've spent 2.5 of them here in America. The other half sucking sand. And in those 2.5 years---I've seen some ****. And to be honest it has desensitized me to almost everything.

I am also so blaise about it because I am so far removed from it.

But for the record---I was worried during 9/11. Not because of the towers crash but because of the Pentagon. My mom works there. I was more worried about her and where she was at than I was about NY.

I'm not hopeless, but I don't believe everything the media shoves down our throats. I really doubt there is less violence in the world when the population is 3 billion more people then 200 years ago and suicides bombers, shooter, killers, rapists and sociopaths run more rampant nowadays.

You think killers and rapists run more rampant now than 200 years ago?:shock:

I'm just speechless at this. Hibiki.... seriously.

do some research

to be fair You can not really judge.

the reason is the following. 200 years ago things were most likely less of a description of what counts as what. As well as that I gran-damn-tee more killing/rapes ect went unreported.

As well as that no cable or anything like that to report these murders. A shooting like what happened at this school 200 years ago would not be as media-tised or what ever the term is.

So trying to debate which would of been a worse time for it beacuse no one will ever have 100% of the facts is like spike and angel debating on "who would win in a fight cavemen or astronauts?"

That's my opinion on this.

to be fair You can not really judge.

the reason is the following. 200 years ago things were most likely less of a description of what counts as what. As well as that I gran-damn-tee more killing/rapes ect went unreported.

As well as that no cable or anything like that to report these murders. A shooting like what happened at this school 200 years ago would not be as media-tised or what ever the term is.

So trying to debate which would of been a worse time for it beacuse no one will ever have 100% of the facts is like spike and angel debating on "who would win in a fight cavemen or astronauts?"

That's my opinion on this.

I agree with SSJMole on this. Plus, factor in the beating, torture, murder or rape of slaves back then. Your numbers will go up.

Jon Stewart asked an interesting question of a former Iraqi cabinet member last night on his show. He brought up how in the light of the Virginia Tech shooting the nation has really begun to grieve, and yet when compared to Iraq this was not almost nothing. He asked how Iraqis can live with such brutal violence on a daily basis. The response he got was that a lot don't and that over two million Iraqis have left the country since the war began. And they're a country of only about 28 million people.

I only bring this up because it's amazing how a story like this dominates American news for weeks on end, and yet they not only see this sort of this on daily basis, they continue with their lives as if nothing had happened. All I know is that if this sort of story even happened every week, I'd be scared ****less. I can't even wrap my mind around the prospect of living with that kind of violence. I love my home, and I love my country, but I love my family more. I couldn't see my self making any other decision than to leave the country.

I agree with SSJMole on this. Plus, factor in the beating, torture, murder or rape of slaves back then. Your numbers will go up.

Agreed good point i didn't think of slaves ect...

Last edited:
As far as violence in the world is concerned I'm pretty convinced that the frontier of the wild west back in the pioneer days of America were probably the scariest places to be ever.

True, but i wasn't restricting violence in just america, i meant globally. Sometimes I really wish we had someone like frank castle around. Sorry, just popped in my brain.

As far as violence in the world is concerned I'm pretty convinced that the frontier of the wild west back in the pioneer days of America were probably the scariest places to be ever.

I'd agree with that, but not because of the lawless people. A lot of what made the wild west so scary was disease, famine and hunger.

Im sort of disgusted at how the news is reporting this.Its as if they are swirling over this,like its something everyone wants to hear.I heard a report that the students at Virgina Tech want this to pass by,so they can mourn and start to heal in private.:x

I'll second that with a hip-hip-hooray.

This is exactly how I feel Moony. Exactly. I can't stand trying to reply to Hibiki on stuff like this because she's always so negative(no offense Hibiki... we're just of completely opposite opinions so often...) but if I tried I would'nt have been able to say it as well.
Thank you.
Some girl I'm associated with (She's real hott but is the kind of girl I want to punch in the face because she's so liberal it makes my heart bleed) Posted a blog about how people started facebook groups "praying for the shooter". Obviously the man had some issues and no one would even dare entertain the thought of supporting him but the way she went off about it just irked the **** out of me. If you can't pray for a man who goes over the edge like that who can you pray for?
You have to feel sorry for him. He seemed so angry and troubled. He should've been helped.

The other day I saw a minister on tv who was counseling Virginia Tech students. I was very annoyed when he called the shooter "evil". Why is it that in America, we view those who kill due to mentally illness - internal forces beyond thier control - as inhuman, evil monsters? And yet we look at mobsters and those who kill for money as being almost heroic, despite the fact that they don't even have a good excuse for being so coldhearted.
WTF?! That hot air baloon threw me way off track. What? The only person I can think that uses those still, is Bill Nye. I had a shooting threat at my school my sophmore year, and a few months later some seniors were passing out flyers and such to visit a site about an FBI list made public by an anonymous person. The list contained names of about 100,000 names in the U.S. that were deemed government threats because the way they spoke against the gov't. So the FBI came and detained the guys on campus, interrogated them until one of them cracked and were then suspended from school for a week and were put under house arrest. One of the guys told me that all their info is black marked or something like that under FBI records. All, they tracked all the people that had gone to the site and were repremanded. Some of my friends went to the site and said they were told to not listen to those seniors again and to report anything that had to do with them.
Well, that's bull****.
do some research
I wish I had the article I mentioned earlier to show you. Violence has been dropping significantly over the course of the 21st Century. Two centuries ago, we had slavery, massive genocide, constant war.

Europeans massacred entire races of Native Americans. Can you imagine that happening today? Do you think the world would be able to justify that? It may seem like we're more violent but we're honestly not.
Jon Stewart asked an interesting question of a former Iraqi cabinet member last night on his show. He brought up how in the light of the Virginia Tech shooting the nation has really begun to grieve, and yet when compared to Iraq this was not almost nothing. He asked how Iraqis can live with such brutal violence on a daily basis. The response he got was that a lot don't and that over two million Iraqis have left the country since the war began. And they're a country of only about 28 million people.

I only bring this up because it's amazing how a story like this dominates American news for weeks on end, and yet they not only see this sort of this on daily basis, they continue with their lives as if nothing had happened. All I know is that if this sort of story even happened every week, I'd be scared ****less. I can't even wrap my mind around the prospect of living with that kind of violence. I love my home, and I love my country, but I love my family more. I couldn't see my self making any other decision than to leave the country.
Yeah, 170 people were killed in Iraq the other day. Imagine that happening on a regular basis here.

Europeans massacred entire races of Native Americans. Can you imagine that happening today? Do you think the world would be able to justify that?

Yes. It's called East Timor.

As for this whole Virginia Tech thing... way I see it, that kid, no matter how ****ed up he was, no matter how 'evil' he may have been, no matter our political climate, the way I see it is this:

We've always had malfunctioning people. People who will just destroy other human beings not out of any kind of survival, but because they can and want to (whatever the motivations may be). However, it's only a recent phenomena that one person can execute 30 by themselves without help. That's due to the proliferation of firearms. When a guy went crazy and attacked a school a hundred years ago, maybe 3 people would die, because he had an axe and you can run away from an axe. Even a revolver can be run from because of the required reloading. But automatic weapons?

The only real reason 30 people died is not because the guy went mental, but because they guy went mental with an automatic weapon. He's the reason any one died at all, but the reason for the high body count rests in the lack of regulation of automatic firearms.

Damn shame.

Last edited:
Yes. It's called East Timor.

As for this whole Virginia Tech thing... way I see it, that kid, no matter how ****ed up he was, no matter how 'evil' he may have been, no matter our political climate, the way I see it is this:

We've always had malfunctioning people. People who will just destroy other human beings not out of any kind of survival, but because they can and want to (whatever the motivations may be). However, it's only a recent phenomena that one person can execute 30 by themselves without help. That's due to the proliferation of firearms. When a guy went crazy and attacked a school a hundred years ago, maybe 3 people would die, because he had an axe and you can run away from an axe. Even a revolver can be run from because of the required reloading. But automatic weapons?

The only real reason 30 people died is not because the guy went mental, but because they guy went mental with an automatic weapon. He's the reason any one died at all, but the reason for the high body count rests in the lack of regulation of automatic firearms.

Damn shame.

exact-a-mondo Bass-a-rooni

Latest posts

Back