Deadly Shooting at Virgina Tech

I'm sick of hearing about how violent the world has gotten.

The world is less violent than it's ever been before.

I read a great article a few weeks ago about this. The fact is that we're less violent, but our sphere of interest is wider. We experience violence through the media and we come to believe that it's everywhere. But violence has been on a serious decline in past centuries.

And it's not like we "don't care". But when all the suffering in the world at any given moment is streaming across CNN's news ticker or is spread across every website, it becomes too overwhelming. The fact is that there's too much sadness in the world for any one person. There's too much suffering for any of us to deal with alone. It becomes crushing if we focus on it and the best thing we can do is appreciate life and love and the good things that we have. We were talking about the John Lennon song "It's So Hard" in my Psych class and it happens to be very relevant:

You got to live,
You got to love,
You got to be somebody,
You got to shove,
But it's hard,
It's really hard,
Some times I feel like going down,
You go to eat,
You got to drink,
You got to feel something,
You got to worry,
It's so hard,
It's really hard,
Some times I feel like going down,
But when it's good,
It's oh so good

What's really going to destroy humanity is the attitude that we're all doomed. We may be less violent, but there's still so much we could do. And you'd be surprised by how much we could do if we'd stop predicting the apocolypse and started looking at things with a little hope.

I love FDR. Such an incredible president.

I'll second that with a hip-hip-hooray.

This is exactly how I feel Moony. Exactly. I can't stand trying to reply to Hibiki on stuff like this because she's always so negative(no offense Hibiki... we're just of completely opposite opinions so often...) but if I tried I would'nt have been able to say it as well.

Some girl I'm associated with (She's real hott but is the kind of girl I want to punch in the face because she's so liberal it makes my heart bleed) Posted a blog about how people started facebook groups "praying for the shooter". Obviously the man had some issues and no one would even dare entertain the thought of supporting him but the way she went off about it just irked the **** out of me. If you can't pray for a man who goes over the edge like that who can you pray for?

ProjectX2, I guess.:|

I think think of more N00bs I'd throw a prayer up for before Project. Anyway this mornings paper had a little ditty on citizens thoughts and one 50 year oldish lady just outright says "It's all foreigners fault. They bring their problems over here with them." I laughed but it was pretty sad at the same time.

Some girl I'm associated with (She's real hott but is the kind of girl I want to punch in the face because she's so liberal it makes my heart bleed) Posted a blog about how people started facebook groups "praying for the shooter". Obviously the man had some issues and no one would even dare entertain the thought of supporting him but the way she went off about it just irked the **** out of me. If you can't pray for a man who goes over the edge like that who can you pray for?
I remember hearing about the victims families in that Amish shooting a few months back and how they visited the shooter's wife and like, took her casseroles or whatever and being more than a little disgusted when they copped flak.

Nicely said, Moony.

It's clearly sad that everybody's pointing fingers. It's sad that people blame everyone and everything but themselves. It's sad that people KNEW this guy was mentally ill, and didn't do anything to help the guy. The ignorance of the people of this world is sickening.

I'm not hopeless, but I don't believe everything the media shoves down our throats. I really doubt there is less violence in the world when the population is 3 billion more people then 200 years ago and suicides bombers, shooter, killers, rapists and sociopaths run more rampant nowadays.

I think think of more N00bs I'd throw a prayer up for before Project. Anyway this mornings paper had a little ditty on citizens thoughts and one 50 year oldish lady just outright says "It's all foreigners fault. They bring their problems over here with them." I laughed but it was pretty sad at the same time.

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed my first amendment, some people really shouldn't open their mouths unless they're eating.

So...um...

...today there was a threat from somebody involving a bomb going off at noon. As a result, my school was hurriedly closed and evacuated, as was schools in the surrounding area. There were at least 4 police cars at my school before I left. It may have something to do with the Virginia Tech shooting, which is why I put it here.

I don't know if it's a hoax or what, but I did notice a hot air balloon landing in an open field on my campus. I'm completely out of the loop.

So...um...

...today there was a threat from somebody involving a bomb going off at noon. As a result, my school was hurriedly closed and evacuated, as was schools in the surrounding area. There were at least 4 police cars at my school before I left. It may have something to do with the Virginia Tech shooting, which is why I put it here.

I don't know if it's a hoax or what, but I did notice a hot air balloon landing in an open field on my campus. I'm completely out of the loop.

:shock: Crazy.

So...um...

WTF?! That hot air baloon threw me way off track. What? The only person I can think that uses those still, is Bill Nye. I had a shooting threat at my school my sophmore year, and a few months later some seniors were passing out flyers and such to visit a site about an FBI list made public by an anonymous person. The list contained names of about 100,000 names in the U.S. that were deemed government threats because the way they spoke against the gov't. So the FBI came and detained the guys on campus, interrogated them until one of them cracked and were then suspended from school for a week and were put under house arrest. One of the guys told me that all their info is black marked or something like that under FBI records. All, they tracked all the people that had gone to the site and were repremanded. Some of my friends went to the site and said they were told to not listen to those seniors again and to report anything that had to do with them.

Ok....and now for the obligatory "Shame On You Doom" comment.

I don't care.

Seriously.

I know that might be a horrid thing to say but it's the truth. I was not there. I don't know anyone there. I don't know anyone who knows anyone there. And even if I did---I still wouldn't care. Why? Because I have my own problems.

Do I recognize that this was a terrible thing to happen? Yes. But I still don't care. When this happened a co-worker came into the office and asked if I had heard anything about this? I said no. He then began to fill me in. My immediate response was "Wow...**** happens."

I hate that everyone wants to throw out obligatory "prayers and support" but guess what? They don't really mean it. For the most part, we are all so far removed from the horrible events of the world that we don't pay them any mind.

33 "innocent kids" died. How is that any different from the thousands of kids who die in Africa from AIDS? How is this any different from the dozens of soldiers getting blown up overseas?

**** happens. Life keeps going.

So there. There's my pathetic excuse for input and thoughts on all this. It was a bad thing.....but I just don't care.

Thanks CNN for sensationalizing it.

I don't care.

Seriously.

I know that might be a horrid thing to say but it's the truth. I was not there. I don't know anyone there. I don't know anyone who knows anyone there. And even if I did---I still wouldn't care. Why? Because I have my own problems.

Do I recognize that this was a terrible thing to happen? Yes. But I still don't care. When this happened a co-worker came into the office and asked if I had heard anything about this? I said no. He then began to fill me in. My immediate response was "Wow...**** happens."

I hate that everyone wants to throw out obligatory "prayers and support" but guess what? They don't really mean it. For the most part, we are all so far removed from the horrible events of the world that we don't pay them any mind.

33 "innocent kids" died. How is that any different from the thousands of kids who die in Africa from AIDS? How is this any different from the dozens of soldiers getting blown up overseas?

So there. There's my pathetic excuse for input and thoughts on all this. It was a bad thing.....but I just don't care.

The worst is every college kid whose throwing their college logo next to VT.

I had no idea what your political orientation was; what I found ironic was the (facetious, I hope) violent sentiment expressed in a thread inspired by senseless violence.

Oh. I don't have a problem with violence though. I don't think a punch in the face has any relevance to a school shooting.

I don't care.

Seriously.

A little insensitive but your right.

33 people die and it's brodcast on every channel for three days straight.

People die in Iraq everyday and all we get is a soundbite sandwiched between O'Rielly smug attitude and a Hannity and Colmbs arguement about Rosie O' Donnel.

Meanwhile in Darfur......

i think it's mainly because people don't expect it to happen here in the US. It isn't any different, but like that blanket of safety and when this happens, people feel helpless and say omg, why me why here? no one here really cares about what happens in africa or Europe or anywhere that isn't america because they don't hink it concerns them. That's why it's a big deal.

My very first day working at the school we had a bomb threat and evacuated the building like jerks.

I wish they would've just blown it up and saved me the last six months.

At my high school today, they announced over the loudspeakers shortly before the end of B period that we were to stay in our classrooms until further notice. We stayed there for twenty minutes before we went to C period. C period is lunch, so it was full length and D period (only four periods at my school) was shortened. (Less excruciatingly, splinters-under-the-fingernails boring health class!) They tell us absolutely nothing in my school--according to my social studies teacher, kids were found shooting heroin into their necks recently. He's the only one who's even brought it up, so I don't even know if that's true. Anyway, we got told jack all until five minutes before dismissal, when the teachers gave us sheets saying that a suspicious intruder was on the premises and was detained by the police during those twenty minutes. We still don't know if he had weapons or what, it just says a suspicious intruder.

Did the intruder look like this?

Purple_Panda.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back