Death of Ultimate Spider-Man (Feb. 2011)

I think the Ultimate Universe is at its best when it's close to the Authority/Sleeper/Wildcats 3.0 iteration of the Wildstorm Universe.

YES YES YES. I wish they wouldn't have gotten away from this.

I think the Ultimate Universe was good when it was insightful.

By that, I mean that it did Spidey in a way that felt more like Spidey than anyone else. That it did the Avengers more like the Avengers ever did.

Now, it feels like fan-fiction. It feels, strangely, more like the Wildstorm universe because it's just fanciful re-imaginings of more well-known characters but "gritty" and more "extreme". We can't use Wolverine, so we'll have some guy called Bloodclaw who looks like him or whatever.

It feels stale and paper-thin immaturity, but when it started, it felt like the beginning of a brand new era in comics.

But then, it's been dead for five years, which is as long as it lasted, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think the Ultimate Universe was good when it was insightful.

By that, I mean that it did Spidey in a way that felt more like Spidey than anyone else. That it did the Avengers more like the Avengers ever did.

Now, it feels like fan-fiction. It feels, strangely, more like the Wildstorm universe because it's just fanciful re-imaginings of more well-known characters but "gritty" and more "extreme". We can't use Wolverine, so we'll have some guy called Bloodclaw who looks like him or whatever.

It feels stale and paper-thin immaturity, but when it started, it felt like the beginning of a brand new era in comics.

But then, it's been dead for five years, which is as long as it lasted, in my opinion.

+1

I couldn't agree more. Every title seemed to go down in quality at about the same time with the exception of Ultimates but that was more due to it's insane delays. I think I collected Ultimate X-Men through either Magnetic North or the Ultimate War arc. After that, I was completely uninterested in the series. I think it was the same for me on USM which ended for me around issue 60.

as soon as Kirkman took over UXM, it started sucking. It got worse as it went on b/c he had to rush some of the story lines he had been setting up for in order to make way for Ultimatum, but there was a very noticeable drop in quality between Brian K Vaughn's run and Kirkman's.

The same was true for UF4 when Mike Carey took over.

USM I've always enjoyed, but it definitely dropped in quality around the same time that Bendis started writing New Avengers (2005) and got even worse after Bendis started writing Mighty Avengers and building up to Secret Invasion (at which point he was writing New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Secret Invasion, Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate Origins, etc - and most of it sucked, none of it was great). I feel like it's gotten better again since then though.

At this point i've given up on everything Ultimate except USM related stuff. I still enjoy it.

Agreed whole-heartedly.

I'm disappointed they got rid of Stark the Elder so quickly. He seemed like a Wildstorm Character, and I think the Ultimate Universe is at its best when it's close to the Authority/Sleeper/Wildcats 3.0 iteration of the Wildstorm Universe. Maybe he'll sneak back in at some point... We'll see.

But I'm incredibly excited about the new direction for the Ultimate Universe. It seems cohesive, and like it's going to be relevant.

Exactly. Its got my interest piqued, and its been a long time since any Ultimate books have done that. But I agree, the new direction, so far at least, seems promising.

Now to get caught up on all those Ultimate issues I've missed over the past six months and get the damn timeline updated.

Ultimate Fallout #2 was only 19 pages, what a gyp. I'd have understood if it was just one artist and one writer b/c of the weekly schedule, but it was THREE writers and THREE artists.

I just read Ultimate Fallout #2-3 today. They're don't have as much to do with Spider-Man as they with what is coming next for Ultimate Marvel. Some of the stuff in it is good (Aunt May smacking Cap and JJJ helping her, Kitty and Bobby's reaction, etc), but the rest of it doesn't matter.

Who's the psychic lady controlling Hulk?

Latest posts

Back