Dexter Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Ninja4peace

There was no thread for this already, Even though the first season finished at the end of last year and there's a new one starting in september.

Basically the show is about Dexter; a blood analyst who works CSI, and his sister is a cop, as was their foster dad...but he also has urges to kill ..it's a lot better than it sounds. So basically when he finds really bad people he'll take them to some place he's prepared with plastic all over the walls and that and kill them..always keeping blood samples for a record. It stars Micheal C. Hall a.k.a. the responsible brother from 6 feet under. and the show is also narrated by Dexter so we've got this unique world view of this serial killer as he goes around after other serial killers...thinking how they would work ...because it's how he works.

I've just downloaded the first 3 episodes and I really like it. The first season had a total of 12 episodes which follow the plot of the novel it's based on pretty tightly. It's really Genius. Did anyone else catch this?

Last edited:
I've read the novels but haven't seen the show. I think I'd like to. Maybe I'll netflix it once its on DVD.

I don't think it's been shown over here at all...so downloading is probably the only way. I might get it on DVD..depends how season 1 ends. I'd like if more serial drama's tied up nicely at the end of each series, so that each season was more like a novel in itself. Though I do like big overarching stories like B5 and Lost.

I'm watching this show on danish TV and its simply one of the best shows ive ever seen (with prison break and 24).. i can't wait to see the ending.

Dexster.jpg

Last edited:
I totally saw this series whiel at work, only the first season.

It was awesome.

I called the killer the moment he was introduced, and called the relationship between the killer and Dexter at about episode 8.

I love how he would think of one thing to say, and then do another.

For those people who have extensive comic habits, but limited time to dedicate to TV, which titles would you compare Dexter to? Whose readers will it likely appeal to?

(I ask this as somebody who is familiar with the show via Wikipedia entries, etc., but who hasn't seen a single episode.)

For those people who have extensive comic habits, but limited time to dedicate to TV, which titles would you compare Dexter to? Whose readers will it likely appeal to?

(I ask this as somebody who is familiar with the show via Wikipedia entries, etc., but who hasn't seen a single episode.)

I saw season one a while ago, so my memory's just a little foggy....

I feel that, if it were a comic, it would probably be written by Bru or Rucka, but it's a little quirkier than those guys usually are. Generally each episode will follow Dexter doing his job as a forensics expert while he also goes on misadventures usually involving him committing or covering up his own murders. And usually both of the storylines tie together. hm....

It was pretty good.

Edit: Actually, it seems pretty stylistically similar to Mark Guggenheim's stuff, particularly his short run on the Flash.

Last edited:

Well, he reminds me of Light Yagami in personality and Frank Castle in method. If that makes ssense.

Well, he reminds me of Light Yagami in personality and Frank Castle in method. If that makes ssense.
I seriously hope your assessment isn't off the mark, VM, because that sounds completely bad-***! (And I say this as somebody who's not particularly a fan of Death Note OR The Punisher.)

Zombipanda said:
It could also very easily have been a recurring subplot in Gotham Central.
Hmmm... Intriguing. My girlfriend's mom has pirated/torrented episodes of both seasons, I believe. Perhaps it's time I started watching this.

That I have recommended this is reason enough for you to watch it, compound.

Also, Michael C. Hall is a sexy beast in it.

I'm halfway done with season 1. I think with every episode I watch, the more I want to keep watching more and more of this.

I'm very intrigued as to the Ice Truck Killer plot, and things really kicked up a gear with episode 6.

I've read the novels but haven't seen the show. I think I'd like to. Maybe I'll netflix it once its on DVD.

I started watching the series before I even knew there were novels for Dexter, because Michael C. Hall is just that damn good of an actor... and honestly, so is everyone else on the show. Dexter has a great cast and it's a great series. That being said, I started reading the novels in a somewhat backwards sort of way. I saw the first 2 seasons of the Showtime series before I found the 3rd novel at an airport bookstore on my way to St. Louis last month and picked it up.

As you have read the novels, I will say this: the novels (I've read the latest one, Dexter in the Dark and just finished the first one, Darkly Dreaming Dexter) are much different from the series in terms of what happens. The characterizations are pretty much the same, but things happen differently for sure. So, you might come from reading the novels and watch the series and say "Well, that's not what I was expecting." But not in a bad way. The series is awesome and the novels are awesome, too. They just have a different way of making things happen. With that, I hopefully won't say "making things happen" or "things" and "happen" in the same sentence for the rest of this post. Then again, I don't know. I've had about 6 pints of Stella and some good tequila tonight, so I may ramble.

The series is what got me hooked, though. Michael C. Hall is dead-on great as Dexter. He's believable as hell as "America's favorite serial killer", and there is no question about it as far as I'm concerned. Jeff Lindsay did some great research to create this character, and even though there are those big differences between the books and the TV show, the core of the story is uncompromised. You get the same characterizations from one to the other and they work extremely well considering.

I seriously suggest you check out the show, it's not disappointing at all.

And since this is a TV thread, I'll say this much about the series...

I love this show more than pretty much any show that's ever been on the air. It's just so addicting, especially for me, because I've done a lot of reading and research into serial killers. Not that I plan on becoming one, I've just always been intrigued by the motivations and backgrounds of the more well-known serial killers. Perhaps I should look into a career as a profiler. At this point I think I'd be damn good at it. The difference between most of the serial killers that have made headlines and Dexter is that, I would probably give my support to someone like Dexter because of his reasoning. Though his pasttime is killing and dismembering, he only chooses scumbags who deserve it (rule of law be damned... some people just need to be removed from humanity). Therefore, he is a compelling character. Not quite Frank Castle, at least in method, but like the Punisher you know and understand where he's coming from, and like marijuana, really the only thing you can think of that makes him "bad" is the fact that he is operating in direct conflict with the rule of law.

How I wish there was actually a serial killer in this world doing the good works of a Dexter Morgan. He's like Travis Bickle with a more defined mission statement and a more complex means of doing so.

WATCH THIS SHOW.

That's all.

Last edited:
So I finished Disc 2 of season 1.

I knew that Perry, whom the police thought to be the Ice Truck Killer, was in fact, not the guy at all. You can tell that Debs is pulling all the rookie mistakes, and I'm surprised that Angel fell for it, too. I mean, come on. A name that comes out of nowhere, find the guy, see has all this "Evidence" that'd make him look like the killer and they go with it? It was too easy!!

I figured that the doctor was the actual killer in the episode before the reveal, I think in episode 7. He just had this killer look to his face that I couldn't dismiss. Then in episode 8 we see that is indeed him. And it makes sense. Poor Debs, though. She can never catch a break with actually getting someone that's actually a decent guy.

On to Disc 3!

Last edited:
Finished Disc 3 (and 4).

This show is superb. It started out with me having weird mixed feelings about it. But in the end, I loved it. I can't wait to start season 2 next week.

I finished the last episode of season 2 tonight. though i haven't actually seen all of them i followed it pretty much. So...Spoilers ahead

Here's a summary and my 2 pence - the serial killer story in this one has been brilliant, it basically turns the first series on it's head, where suddenly everyone's looking for a new serial killer 'the bay harbour butcher', which is dexter (they find his body pile). The fbi gets called in and it's still nail biting tense how dexter manages to get away with it every episode. And then Doakes works him out and just needs to get the evidence together. He fights dexter, loses and dexter ends up locking doakes in a cabin in the woods, but he won't kill him. he'll just frame him as the 'bay habour butcher'.

This storyline was gold right the way through, and in fact the other storyline - him going to narcotics anonymous to talk about his addiction and then the relationship he has with a girl there called lyra...and that's pretty good to start with, but then it goes downhill, and i wasn't overly impressed with the way it has ended in the last episode. That said, eveything has tied together nicely and beliveably (well not believably but plausible given the characters), and like the first series it hasn't left any loose ends.

I just didn't think it was as good as the first series, maybe just cuz the first series came out it was something really different, and original, now it's a little like more of the same. Still bring on series 3.

Last edited:
Just began watching this show. In two days I've watched the first 8 episodes.

I knew Neil Perry was the serial killer. Then when he returned, I worked out the double fake. I knew the Prosthetic Doctor would be the Ice Truck Killer, but it occurred to me: it was so obvious, maybe Dexter's SISTER was gonna be the killer. Regardless, while I'm guessing this show's major arc, I'm really enjoying it. Lots of fun, interesting characters. Highly entertaining.

Latest posts

Back