Dexter Series Discussion *Spoilers*

They may as well just have Doakes return as a cyborg next season because I don't think anyone cares anymore.

Despite the show's quality taking a turn, I still think it's one of the more enjoyable shows on. It is no Breaking Bad by any stretch, but it still does interest me enough when it's on.

It's not even the best show on Showtime anymore, which is saying something.

Despite the show's quality taking a turn, I still think it's one of the more enjoyable shows on. It is no Breaking Bad by any stretch, but it still does interest me enough when it's on.

I agree that seasons 5 and 6 aren't as good as the previous seasons. I would also say that season 4 was the peak. One of the major reasons is that the whole excitement of DEXTER is the question, "Will they find out he's a serial killer?" That means Dexter needs a 'secret identity'. By losing Rita, Cody and Astor, the only person left is Debra and the rest of Miami Metro. Harrison's too young, so he doesn't count. Now, the Miami Metro is interesting, but nowhere near as exciting as the concept of Deb finding out. If they kept Cody and Astor, the show would be vastly more entertaining. That's what drove season five; Cody & Astor + Debra. And that's why season six is lacking. That's why when he's on the trail of the Doomsday Killer we're not getting excited despite the killer's flamboyant murders, because we know DDK won't kill Dexter, so the only question is, "Will Dexter be found out?" But by whom? Deb. That's why I think I (and it seems the writers too) are going on the premise of a cop killer. So the story can really drive into the heart of what's left of the show.

Regarding BREAKING BAD — I'm waiting for season 3 to be released on dvd over here. It hasn't and there seems to be no release date. Which is annoying because I love that show and I know it's only a matter of time before the whole thing gets spoiled for me because "that happened two years ago, Bass". :(

It's not even the best show on Showtime anymore, which is saying something.

I think what that says is that the quality of Showtime in general is improving; I love CALIFORNICATION and NURSE JACKIE (wow!) but I've not HOMELAND which I've heard good things about. Despite the problems I mention, DEXTER is not a bad show. It's pretty good. And it's problems are easily solvable by three possibilities: bring back Cody & Astor, skip ahead a few years so Harrison is a character, have Debra find out Dexter is a serial killer. Any of these three would push the show back to the level of interest in experienced in it's first four years.

Rita being killed off was brilliantly done. Harrison's inclusion into it and him being "born in blood" as his father was was the masterstroke of her demise. What a good set up. After that, though, her death was essentially swept under the rug and the season after her death was more or less about a woman who was Rita's proxy. If the end game had started when Rita was killed I think the show would have remained more consistent. It's evident that the show is now meandering because there are big things/big pay offs that fans now expect that haven't happened yet or are being drawn out. I guess there's always that time in a show's life where you either continue til it's done to death or you wrap it up cleanly. Dexter, by the time it's over, will see both of those outcomes.

Some loose thoughts on Season 6 so far...

1) A major character should die by chapter 12 (Quinn, Batista, Our favorite lab rat?)

2) Deb must find out about Dexter - the only way this cab happen is if she is demoted from her position

3) The new lab assistant will most probably be our villain for Season 7

4) Dexter needs a new love interest, Lumen was the best choice, even more compatible than Rita....who could fill that spot next season? Since this season was more about soul-searching than matchmaking...

5) Trinitys son should return in Season 8 as the new Trinity...

6) Wish to see the whole Laguerta/dead stripper cover-up dealt with ASAP...totally unnecessary and come on, what are the odds?...

7) Love the therapy sessions of Deb and her shrink...

8) Travis was a worthy opponent this season...the twist with Professor Gellar being dead was one of the best so far...

So, Deb realizing that she may have romantic feelings for Dexter was the exact opposite of what I -- or anyone -- expected. Is that really necessary? I don't like it. It's bad enough what they just pulled on Boardwalk Empire. I know they are not blood related, but that's not really the point. For this long, we've known Deb and Dex as brother and sister so it is a bit odd that the writers would even entertain this development. It almost sets Deb way back... Here I thought that Deb proclaiming how ****ed up her life is was excellent, and then her shrink puts an even more ****ed up idea into her head... AND she even dreams about it. This development is definitely divisive and one that I am adamantly against. Stupid stupid stupid.

What I did like was the little that we got out of Louis this week. What I'm thinking is that somehow Dexter has inspired his own disciples out of these interns who, all season, have been crushing on him. There have been odd moments throughout this season that I've picked up on with these interns and if my prediction is correct Louis is more or less Dexter's Doomsday Adam. Now, I'm only guessing, but judging from previews next week, I think Louis will actually come out and become a hero to save both Dexter and Harrison. I'm also wondering if we'll see the blonde from the beginning of the season. She's in on it, too, since she put it up for sale in the first place.

As for Dexter and Travis, I wish this back and forth game would have been more developed. As with every season of Dexter there are always things that stick out that actually work rather than what the writers put an emphasis on. I liked that Dexter was taunting Travis with his own tableau without fulling understanding where Travis is coming from with his own messages. Dexter is definitely over his head here, which is evident at the very end of the episode, which is cool to see.

Dexter (both the character and the show) has been so careless and stupid this season, I don't understand how you guys are still enjoying it. Last episode he called in a possible terrorist threat which resulted in Homeland Security coming in and no one recognized his voice? This episode he sends his nemesis a video message implicating himself and doesn't even worry about Travis posting the video on his blog, where a bunch of other people have posted videos previously? Don't even get me started on Deb's therapist, who must be the worst therapist of all time.

I can't stand this show anymore. I'm done.

The only way I'll watch a seventh season of Dexter is if this mother****er is in it.

Last edited:
Man, LaGuerta needs to be destroyed several times over. I hated her from the beginning and now she's gone into proper 'bad guy' territory I really can't stand her anymore. Ugh.

Louis is fantastically interesting. DDK is really not that exciting, unfortunately. He just doesn't have the presence that Miguel, Trinity, or the Ice-Truck Killer had, which is a real shame.

The trailer for the finale looks pretty *****in'. I'm hoping it will be as exciting as the previous seasons have been. So far, this season I think has been the least effective, sad to say.

Dexter (both the character and the show) has been so careless and stupid this season, I don't understand how you guys are still enjoying it. Last episode he called in a possible terrorist threat which resulted in Homeland Security coming in and no one recognized his voice? This episode he sends his nemesis a video message implicating himself and doesn't even worry about Travis posting the video on his blog, where a bunch of other people have posted videos previously? Don't even get me started on Deb's therapist, who must be the worst therapist of all time.

As I recall, he talked for a very short time and did a pseudo-Batman thing of keeping his voice low and terse. People wouldn't even suspect Dexter to have made the call; even if they recognized it, I would think they'd say, "Sounds a bit like Dexter". As for the video message; why would Travis post it on the blog? Why would he tell anyone about Dexter? He knows Metro is after him and watching the blog; if he put it up, they'd glom onto Dexter and he wouldn't be able to kill him. Dexter planned this specifically; by antagonising Travis he knew he'd come after him. Travis wouldn't tell anyone because he's never advertised who he's going to kill before hand because he doesn't want to get caught.

You're clearly no longer enjoying any of the characters, so you should indeed, as you say, stop watching. Why bother keeping up?

:lol: :lol:

So, not only does Deb know now, the Lieutenant of Miami Metro knows that Dexter -- one of their own -- is a murderer. Because she interrupted him during his ritual, it's not like Dexter is going to have an opportunity to sweep it under the rug and say "that was my first time". There's no going backwards from this... Which makes this episode pretty refreshing. My one gripe is that this twist IS a year late and therefore this season was clearly the writers treading water before presenting the inevitable reveal. Even though that may seem like a huge rip on the season, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really looking forward to the next season.

The showrunner on the show now isn't the same as last year's. He agrees that Deb should've found out about Dexter last season which is why it was done this season.

Despite agreeing with him there, the show runner has me very concerned for the end game. He is not grasping the fans' negative reaction to the Deb is in love with Dex storyline. Where he feels like it has been building over all of these seasons, it really came out of nowhere in this season to see if they could drum up drama to a lackluster season. He commented that in a show about serial killers, fans have drew their line at love between characters. That isn't the case, though. We bought that Dexter was in love with Lumen perfectly fine, and definitely Dex has love for Harrison, too. Not to mention Rita, but I don't know if that would qualify as love... It was more his cover. With that said, though, nothing has led to Deb falling in love with Dexter and it's bothersome that this thread will more than likely play a big part in the next two seasons. If the show runner were smart, he'd drop that like a bad habit.

It's been a year. Oh my, that was an amazing first episode. AMAZING. Normally we have to wait until the last three episodes to get this kind of tension, but we're starting out that way!

My prediction for the finale is that Debra will raise Harrison alone, and notice Harrison is messed up like Dexter and teach him the code...

Also: I'm pretty sure Maria LaGuerta is dead. My thinking is that Debra will try to get Dexter "help", Dexter will lie to her and fob her off, but LaGuerta will work out that Dexter is the Bay Harbour Butcher, and Dexter will kill her, probably by accident, which will cause Debra to lead a man-hunt on him which will be season eight. We'll see... so far, everyone who's discovered Dexter's dark passenger has died.

Latest posts

Back