Digital comics

Soo… I just went online to buy some comics off my LCS digital comixology storefront. But it's gone. Did Amazon get rid of that too now?

I hadn't heard anything about that.

More comments from Mark Waid:

Yes, I've heard over the last two days from dozens of fans who "don't get the big deal" and sneer that "smart" comics readers have always bought from the website anyway and so it's a few extra steps to get your comics, so what? If you're one of those voices, if I were strong enough to lift your massive sense of smug self-entitlement, I would beat your high horse to death with it. You already buy comics online? Good for you. You're not the ones we need to be worried about.

Seriously, you can look down your nose all you want at in-app purchasers and gloat to your heart's content that only Luddites couldn't figure out how to go find the website and then set up an account and shop through the website and then download their comics separately through the app, it's not all that hard, that's how the Kindle buying works on my iPad, yes?, and you're absolutely right, it's not that hard, but guess what? That doesn't matter. What matters is that it makes buying comics–makes finding comics–more difficult for new readers discovering the medium, not easier, and that is pretty much the last thing anyone in comics needs right now. Long-term, because this means Apple no longer gets their 30% cut off of comics bought off an iPad because you can't buy them that way anymore, that means more money for comics publishers and comics creators. That's great. It's also something that no casual consumer gives a rip about. Short-term–and I will happily report back to you if I'm wrong–there's no way that 30% bump will compensate for the sudden loss of impulse buyers who were buying with one button tap and/or using iTunes cards because they're too young to have credit cards or PayPal accounts.

Mark Waid said:
Yes, I've heard over the last two days from dozens of fans who "don't get the big deal" and sneer that "smart" comics readers have always bought from the website anyway and so it's a few extra steps to get your comics, so what? If you're one of those voices, if I were strong enough to lift your massive sense of smug self-entitlement, I would beat your high horse to death with it. You already buy comics online? Good for you. You're not the ones we need to be worried about.

:lol: I hope no one took my earlier comments this way. I just meant that it didn't have a huge impact on the way I bought digital comics. (Although, it seems they've done away with the LCS digital storefronts too, so it actually does affect the way I buy them).

I get why it's bad for the industry and I wasn't suggesting it wasn't a big deal.

Comixology is starting a digital comics subscription service similar to Marvel Comics Unlimited, or Netflix. However, it won't include any Marvel or DC comics, and they will cycle old comics out for new ones rather than build a huge library over time.

Sounds interesting, but I'll pass based on the lack of Marvel/DC and the cycling of titles.

At this point you're basically paying to sample comics. It is being presented as an all-you-can-eat service but it's not; a lot of titles only have the first trades worth of issues up.

I'd be surprised if this goes anywhere. People want something like Marvel Unlimited for everything in Comixology's library and this isn't that.

Cap Canuck - I saw that you said you are picking up digital TPBs of the TMNT books. If you don't mind me asking - are you paying full price for them? Or are they on sale?

I'm not leading anywhere with this, I am just curious how you use digital comics. When they first came out I was very much all in but I became a little leery of having books that I pay for tied into a proprietary format (Comixology). When I was getting issues for 99 cents it didn't seem a big deal, but I've largely moved toward collected editions and don't want to dump $20 a pop into a format that can be taken away at any time. Is this not something you think about? Or does it not bother you?

Cap Canuck - I saw that you said you are picking up digital TPBs of the TMNT books. If you don't mind me asking - are you paying full price for them? Or are they on sale?

I'm not leading anywhere with this, I am just curious how you use digital comics. When they first came out I was very much all in but I became a little leery of having books that I pay for tied into a proprietary format (Comixology). When I was getting issues for 99 cents it didn't seem a big deal, but I've largely moved toward collected editions and don't want to dump $20 a pop into a format that can be taken away at any time. Is this not something you think about? Or does it not bother you?

Everything was on sale because of the movie. I paid $4-5 per trade (plus the ridiculous conversion from USD to CAD). I don't often buy digital but I wanted to get caught up with this title and the price was right (I don't download comics that I can buy either). Also, now that comixology is owned by Amazon, I have faith that they're a stable company and I don't worry that they are going to go under and I'll lose access to the comics. (Is that what you're asking?)

EDIT POST: oh yeah, I did say in this week's comics thread that I was planning to buy the trades for TMNT ongoing, didn't I? IDW charges $3.99 for a regular issue for the first month (maybe less) then everything drops to $1.99. The trades are $7.99-$9.99 USD depending on how many issues they include. That's $10.25-$12.80 CAD. If I buy the trades on Amazon.ca they're $20-$25 CAD (I just checked, they're $11-$12 USD on Amazon.com - you guys have it so easy!)

So at the end of the day, it makes more sense for me to buy them digitally right now.

Last edited:
I have faith that they're a stable company and I don't worry that they are going to go under and I'll lose access to the comics. (Is that what you're asking?)

Yes, pretty much. I agree, I doubt that would happen.

Latest posts

Back