District 9

I think the resistance isn't towards the name, but rather at the stupid rush towards making a sequel to a movie that stands on it's own just fine.

Yeah, the movie works best as a stand alone film. Also I really can't see where they can go except an alien invasion route. I personally do not want to see this become a water downed action flick that ruins what made this film special

I could see it more like The Matrix trilogy. First is still the best. The other two aren't so bad and not nearly bad enough to ruin the first one.

I think the resistance isn't towards the name, but rather at the stupid rush towards making a sequel to a movie that stands on it's own just fine.

Exactly, I'd rather see him devote time to making Yellow into a feature film.

Exactly, I'd rather see him devote time to making Yellow into a feature film.

Guys, it's been less then a week since this came out. I think a sequel would be superfluous too, but can we wait until after it's left theaters to start speculating and whining?

In a subject change, what was your opinion of Wikus? The fact that they had such an *** for a protagonist seems to be the most controversial aspect of this film?

That's what is so great about Wikus and the actor portaying him though. He's a naive, offensive idiot at the beginning but we still like him. And as he changes over the course of the film, we like him even more. A great actor and a great character.

That's what is so great about Wikus and the actor portaying him though. He's a naive, offensive idiot at the beginning but we still like him. And as he changes over the course of the film, we like him even more. A great actor and a great character.

Agreed. Copley was magnificient.

The controversial aspect I'm refering to is that a few movie goers on the forums found Wikus unlikable.

Last edited:

The controversial aspect I'm refering to is that a few movie goers on the forums found Wikus unlikable.

Well, he was a self centered twit. I'm sure you know someone like that. They're not exactly unlikeable, but you don't invite them if you can avoid it. Its that one friends cousin.

I concur!

Exactly. I actually read one negative review of the film that said it was hampered by an unlikable lead character.... ARGH. :arrgh:

I saw this today. It was very, very good. Some random observations:

- I did like Wikus's transformation (as a character, not into an alien). I actually didn't know that the guy with the mustache that we see in the trailer and the protagonist that we also see in the trailer were even the same guy. I assumed this dumb guy in the tie was going to get killed and then they'd introduce the real protagonist. That was a great turn. I thought the trailers didn't make the movie look very good, but I think that was a blessing in disguise. This was one of the few recent cases where I really didn't know what to expect at all, or where the movie was going.

- Bravo on the effects. It was funny thinking about how unimpressed I was with decade in the making, insanely expensive Avatar and how District 9 was one of the first movies I can think of in a while (maybe since the Lord of the Rings movies, coincidentally) where I've had a seriously hard time telling what was CGI and what wasn't. The aliens just looked utterly convincing.

- The third act really dragged. The stuff-blowing-up extravaganza at the end seemed to go on and on. I went to the bathroom at one point, worried that I might miss the end considering where it was at, and there there still turned out to be like a half an hour left when I got back.

- Speaking of explosions, this movie is the new Guinness world record holder for "most scenes in a movie where people get exploded". The second half of the movie, an average of three people seem to get exploded every 5 minutes.

- It's good to see the promises of some of last year's great movies paying off. Thanks to The Dark Knight, we might be able to get at least one really smart, well-made summer blockbuster a year, maybe more! And this movie is set in South Africa, with no American folks! It's so weird. I think we have Slumdog to thank for this kind of thing.

- When I was walking out I overheard an old man saying loudly to the person who he was with "I guess, they don't make 'em like they used to!" and "I wonder if I could get our money back!". Haha, old people.

Last edited:
Moony later rescinded his views after slowly turning into one.
I'm only turning into an old person because I opened that damn cylinder in the retirement home, but Albert said that if I put some gas in his station wagon, he can travel to Florida and find a cure for me.

He was kinda of a dick, especially when he gleefully let the soldiers burn the hatchlings.

Just saw the movie. Loved it. I teared up in some parts.

Just saw this. LOVED IT.

I like the discussion about Wikus being this likable character. He left Christopher behind with no intent of going back for him.

I saw this yesterday. Great movie I loved it however my only only problem was the main actors accent, Whenever he swore it switched to a different accent in way that so noticeable it took me , my brother and my friends watching it completely out of the film. One that happens it's hard to get back into it and buy the concept again.

However I still enjoyed the film.

Latest posts

Back