Doctor Who

The Victory of the Daleks didn't exactly rise to the occasion. It wasn't as offensively bad as "The Idiot's Lantern", but it was just mediocre. Probably even more bland than "The Beast Below".

Hopefully the return of River and the Weeping Angels will reinvigorate my interest in the series.

I thought it was decent. Better than last week's episode but still lacking.

I guess I should finally watch Blink before next week.

I enjoyed it.

When I watch Doctor, I watch just that episode, I don't compare it to other ones, and look at the themes presented during it. I'm a sucker for underdog type endings.

Plus, this further brings to light the mystery of Amy Pond. I have theories, I'll wait before I say them though.

Contrary to popular dissent, I'm actually happy that Moffat's building a mythology behind the Weeping Angels. This episode got me really excited.

Now that was a great episode. Obviously the Weeping Angels make everything better.

Hopefully the rest of the season is this good or better.

Don't blink:
Angels.gif

Last edited:
Time is being unwritten!

River Song might kill The Doctor!

The Doctor resisted Amy's advances!

Also... I think this episode has TWO Doctors in it.

Last edited:
I really liked this. I was upset that the Weeping Angels were superseded by the cracks in time and space as the primary antagonist in this episode, but I ended up being okay with it. It looks like Moffat's going to be integrating the myth-arc into the entire series, rather than just dropping hints in every episode until it comes to a head in the finale, like Russell T. Davies. I'm not sure how I'll feel if the monsters of the week are continually jeopardized for Moffat's bigger picture, but I'm very interested to see what happens next, in a way that I'm usually not for Doctor Who. So that's good.

I really liked the scene with Amy and The Doctor at the end. Both Moffat and Davies have said that the days of The Doctor being asexual are over. I wonder if his relationship with Amy will develop romantically or not?

You know, I don't like that ending with Amy throwing herself at the Doctor. I think it would have played out better if they didn't kiss at all. I'm not a big fan of the sexual Doctor anyways, I was more of a fan of the asexual Doctor.

Last edited:
On Doctor Who Confidential Moffat said that he merely meant to illustrate the eventuality of a handsome, charming and brilliant man whisking away impressionable young girls; I mean, did none of them notice that he happens to be quite eligible? I'm not sure of whether I want anything to come of The Doctor and Amy (or The Doctor and River, for that matter), but I'm not necessarily diametrically opposed to the idea of The Doctor having a romantic or sexual relationship, so long as it was written well. Which it very well might not be, but I'd be interested to see what that sort of dynamic would be like.

Actually, Sarah Jane being in love with The Doctor was an innovation by Russell T. Davies. There relationship was entirely platonic when she was an actual companion in the classic series. The Doctor was much more of an older brother (or even father, depending on the episode) figure to her than anything else, hence the annoyance of fans when she revealed in "School Reunion" that she harbored romantic feelings for him. It completely came out of nowhere.

I strongly suggest watching "Genesis of the Daleks" if you can find it anywhere. Not only is it one of the best Classic serials, but it showcases the fondly remembered Sarah Jane years.

Speaking of the classic serials... which ones are recommended? I've already added Genesis of the Daleks to my list because I've heard it's one of the best but I'd like to check out a few more.

Depends on what you're looking for, really. "The City of Death", "The Deadly Assassin" and "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" are personal favorites of mine...all Fourth Doctor serials, of course. I also really, really like series 16, the one with Romana and The Doctor searching for the Key of Time. A few of the serials are snooze-fests (as many classic episodes tend to be), but the overarching plot is pretty interesting. Speaking of Romana, I also have a nostalgic fondness for Lala Ward as her second regeneration, though no particularly remarkable serials involving her immediately jump to mind. She's a really great actress, though, and tends to brighten the episodes she appears in.

Naturally, though, these are all Tom Baker serials, as he's my favorite Doctor (and the one I watched the most growing up). Other recommendations are "The Tomb of the Cybermen" (Second Doctor), both "Snakedance" and "Castrovalva" (Fifth Doctor), and the feature film, which while certainly not without some rather severe flaws, is mostly saved by Paul McGann's very strong performance as the Eighth Doctor. "The Five Doctors" is pretty entertaining as well, if as nothing else than mindless fanservice...it sort of suffers from not including Tom Baker, though. I haven't seen "The Three Doctors" yet, actually, but I've heard that it's similarly fun.

I sort of dislike the Third, Sixth and Seventh Doctors, so if you're interested in watching serials involving them you'll have to ask someone else.

Last edited:
There's lots of complaints about The Vampires of Venice but I really enjoyed it - it's definitely not as bad as The Beast Below or Victory of the Daleks. I really like the chemistry between The Doctor, Amy and Rory. I hope he sticks around for a while.

There's still 10,000 fish vampire things in the water...

I hated Rory. I cannot believe that this series has it's own Mickey. It's a complete retread of the very worst parts of Rose Tyler's subplot. Luckily enough, word is that Rory will be gone after next episode. Based on the preview, I'm willing to bet that Amy chooses the reality where she's with The Doctor, rather than their pregnant fantasy land, and Rory throws a hissy fit despite the fact that she saved all of their lives.

Otherwise, Vampires of Venice was okay. I'd actually say that it was around the same quality of "The Beast Below", but not nearly as bad as Victory of the Daleks. I'd really like for them to do more with the Doctor's character than repetitious references to the Time War and give us constant reminders that he's dangerous.

Next week looks more original than some of the less good episodes this series. I think the angels has been the best so far, by a stretch. I feel like the angels are getting to be as classic as daleks, cybermen or sea monsters.

I read some of the conspiracy theories over at bleeding cool, but i wonder if the real twist isn't something really simple. So far the only concrete thing that is gonna get explained is that Amy doesn't remember the Daleks. But that could be explained by saying she's from a parallel dimension the Dr went through at the start of the series (hence the tardis was on fire).

Also they get married on 26th of July? is that gonna be the date of the finale?

Latest posts

Back